Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
Midlands, United Kingdom
My family are a set of these people

I quit smoking months ago and turned to vaping but they still have the opinion that im still smoking, they dont believe i have give up completely because i am vaping even though i havent had a cigarette in a long time. Anyone else get this annoying onlook from family or friends?

Apparently until i stop vaping i will never be a non smoker :blink:

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
Yeah I heard it a few times. The "you really haven't quit if you're doing that" or "if you have quit when are you going to stop that thing" This is the reason I don't call it an ecig.

When are you to stop that thing?? lol.. I get that all the time, I tell them when Im ready, which means never... I love my vape....

Suicidebob

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
Pasadena, CA
Majority of the people I know- consider it to be a novelty item. Or a, fad. Something that is "cool" for now but will change soon.

I can't vape in public. I hate getting bugged by ignorant people. (I live in CA, LA area we have a lot of those)

When I have vaped in public it's always.. "so, when are you going to quit that?!"

The whole situation bugs the crap out of me in general.. Aaarrrruuuggghhhh

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
People r ignorant. Ya I heard people say I traded one crutch for another as they sip coffee or energy drinks......I don't let it get under my skin anymore cuz I don't care what they think....

You hit the nail right on the head. Ignorance is rampid. My sister came over to me the other day and asked "Why are you doing that? What's the sense?" People have no clue that vaping is not smoking. All they hear is that it has nicotine and to them, that's smoking. They don't realize that it's not the nicotine that kills ya, it's the 4000 other carcinogens that put you in the ground. I try to explain this very quickly and very simply to folks. If it's not a quick and dirty explanation, you lose their attention and they go on being ignorant. Then again you're always going to have those who choose to believe what they want to believe no matter what you tell them.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Vape on my peeps :vapor:

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
I got that from my parents in the beginning. My dad quit cold turkey when I was young, so his first impression was the I'm "still smoking" Over the past 2+years that I've been vaping, however, he's gotten more information and has become supportive of it and has started recommending them to smokers.

As for when I'll quit vaping? Probably when they pry my PV out of my cold, dead hands. Alzheimer's runs rampant in my family and in the past 5 years my memory has already started to get fuzzy. There have been several studies suggesting that nicotine can aid in the reversal and/or reduction of symptoms so I'm going to keep at it until I have proof that it's doing more harm than good.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
Actually, this thing has been bugging me. None of us has quit.

We moved from burning leaves with nicotine to burning liquid with nicotine.

IMO, quitting is putting down the cigarette and bit replacing it with another nicotine delivery system.

All of us are a finger snap from analogs. You just don't want to admit it. Because if we have all truly quit, we can put down the PV permanently.

How many here can do that?

Suicidebob

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
Pasadena, CA

IMO, quitting is putting down the cigarette and bit replacing it with another nicotine delivery system.

All of us are a finger snap from analogs. You just don't want to admit it. Because if we have all truly quit, we can put down the PV permanently.

... I don't have nicotine in my PV... Sure it seems ridiculous in some cases to vape something with the main intention of it delivering nicotine.. But, I haven't had nicotine in a while.

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA

What bugs me is why is this even a question? Some vapers have quit vaping completely. Some vapers have quit using nicotine, but still vape because they enjoy. Some vapers still use nicotine and plan to continue to do so.

Have we quit smoking... YES. We no longer burn paper, tobacco and other additives and inhale particles from that combustion.

Period.

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
Can you stop vaping today to never, ever pick one up again?

Can people stop stuffing their face with food? If someone made the ultra low sugar, ultra low cholesterol, ultra low calorie, ultra tasty and realistic cupcake would you criticize those that ate it?

This is about frame of mind.

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC

So if I was to stick a nicotine patch on my arm or chew a piece of nicotine gum I wouldn't be able to say "I quit"? Wow. Well you better tell the thousands of people that do it everyday.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
None of us has quit.
I don't smoke anymore, and never will again, therefore I quit smoking.

Have I quit using nicotine? No, and I have no plans to do so.
But I have most definitely quit smoking, without question.

No, we are not burning the liquid, we are heating it until it changes it's physical state and becomes vapor.
Burning things and inhaling them is called smoking, and it is very bad for you.

The process of combustion changes things (like tobacco) into other things that did not exist before combustion.
And those are the things that kill you.

This does not happen with vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread