battery charger cord failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I gave my boss a Smoktech Bolt mod, a Trustfire TR001 charger, and three AW 18500 protected batts for Christmas. He's been loving the heck out of it until yesterday. He calls me up and tells me that his batteries have been taking about 8 hours to recharge. Then he says that he put one of the batteries in to recharge and the battery exploded. Destroyed the battery and charger and left a charred spot on the floor.

He's saving the remains for me to look at this weekend.

I'm trying to think of what could have gone wrong and I've only come up with one possibility so far. I noticed once that he always takes his charger with him. I noticed that he carries his spare batts in the charging slots of the charger. My thinking is that if he uplugged the charger with the batteries still in the bays, that the charger drained the batteries. Then when he plugged the charger in at his house, it caused the batteries to fail and detonate.

I've never had any problems with any of my batteries or chargers, but I've never left batteries in an unplugged charger either. I've also never had a battery take 8 hours to charge.

Any ideas?

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
Thanks for posting about this, please find out as much as you can, so that perhaps the cause can be narrowed down and added to the knowledge base! I have personal interest as well, as my setup is the same except I use the green Smok batteries. Not sure if leaving the batts in charger would drain them as you theorized, perhaps a more knowledgeable poster can comment. I do know that anything which could cause cuts/nicks or other damage to a batts outer casing is a very bad idea, sounds like his transport method might have been a bit unsafe. Can you find out if there was any casing or other damage to the batt?

As for the charge time...I haven't timed mine but it does take a long time...will clock it next time I charge one.

Last edited:

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
Also, I have read of overcharge issues with this particular model of charger (they've been around for a few years), but supposedly the manufacturer addressed it. However, I also read that one user's supposedly "fixed" version was still overcharging. It's possible that the explosion was caused by simple overcharge. In any case, I never let the batterys sit in mine after the light turns green, which is generally a good idea with any Li Ion battery/charger. Actually, more than a good idea...I'd say it's mandatory. And after reading this I'll be even more attentive. So thanks again for reporting!

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Damage to the casing may be possible, but I'm pretty sure that whatever evidence of casing/cover damage there might have been will likely have been obliterated by the detonation. If it did, it would have probably been more problematic in the device, instead of the charger.

This situation is really bugging me. I really like my boss and I feel responsible.

I'm pretty sure most folks don't transport their batteries in the charger, but if you do it may be a good idea to stop.

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
Batteries have been exploding in things for years. The technology is just better now to get the word out there. I check my batteries every time they come off my Tr001 and they're always 4.1 I consider that very acceptable. I really wonder though about carrying the batteries in the charger and plugging it in, I've never checked the voltage to see if it spikes or anything in mine.

Please keep us posted about what happened when you see the remains of the incident, I'm sure we're all curious.

Thanks,
Deach

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
After a little more reading, I've learned that many budget Li-Ion chargers (including apparently the TR001) actually go into a trickle-charging mode after the battery is charged and the green light comes on. This is unfortunate, as trickle-charging Li-Ions is not exactly safe. They will continue to accept charge as long as current is applied, and this can lead to overcharging. Overcharging Li-Ion batts is quite likely to eventually cause them to explode. Thus, it is extremely important that batteries themselves include overcharge protection. Problem is, even if they do have such protection, the circuit can fail. With a better-quality charger (charging overcharge-protected batts) that switches itself off after the batt is finished charging, the benefits are obvious...there is double protection...one picks up the slack if the other fails. The question does arise: why do cheap Li-Ion chargers trickle charge, then? I don't have an answer, but wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's just a crappy or flat-out faulty design which continues to be produced simply because it's cheap to do so. In any case, before I buy any other vaping gear I'll be snagging a better charger. In the meantime, will definitely watching for the TR001 green light like a hawk.

I'm not suggesting that this is what caused the OP's boss' incident, though of course it could be...just passing along what I've learned in the course of trying to find out what might have happened.

Last edited:

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Batteries can explode when you charge them. It's pretty rare but you should always charge them in a fireproof battery charging bag like this one: HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Lithium Polymer Charge Pack 18x22cm Sack

It's just a few bucks. I mean what's the risk here? Getting killed? Losing everything? People pay more money for fire insurance and smoke detector batteries. I also recommend you get yourself a metal box to put this bag in and charge them like that. That way even if they go off like a bottle rocket you're good to go. You only lose the battery.

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
Batteries can explode when you charge them. It's pretty rare but you should always charge them in a fireproof battery charging bag like this one: HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Lithium Polymer Charge Pack 18x22cm Sack

It's just a few bucks. I mean what's the risk here? Getting killed? Losing everything? People pay more money for fire insurance and smoke detector batteries. I also recommend you get yourself a metal box to put this bag in and charge them like that. That way even if they go off like a bottle rocket you're good to go. You only lose the battery.

I'm with you on this one. Cheap insurance! I've actually requested that ECF vendors consider carrying these (in another thread, now...this one too :D) because I think people would be more likely to use them if they could just grab one along with their cartos or juice order.

However, I still don't trust the whole setup, even with the bag, enough to leave batts charging while I'm out of the house (and def not while sleeping). ((Probably never will, even with a better charger)).

Goldenkobold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
i don't get it. over a year goes by since i've seen any posts about exploding mod batts and now i hear of 3 cases of mod batts blowing up in less than a month.

As for exploding egos, thats a fairly regular occurance, i've seen atleast 6 threads about it in 12 months.

maybe the mayans were right.

As more people vape you will have more explosions, AW's are not safe they are safer.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

The scary part is that protection is even necessary for battery charging.

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
I think some of the problem here is people are using things they don't know safely how to use. (the batteries) I feel sorry for the OP and I'd hate to be in that situation. Veterans on this forum continue to recommend "huge" PVs to newbies and people take that to heart. Some don't ever read the battery threads, some are clueless to the proper handling technique of the batteries. I fully endorse whatever works for someone but I guess some people use these things are just lucky that they've not had things go wrong and get injured.

Please keep us posted as to what if anything you are able to find out. I'm glad your boss is ok.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
deach,

I concur with your post but do take exception to veterans recommending "huge" PVs. I will not deny that some do, but that is not the norm. A lot of the misinformation on this forum stems from newbies educating newbies. How long have I been preaching not to use LRs on eGo batts, yet now folks are using DCs :rolleyes:

Dogman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
North Carolina
I went with the PILA charger. it was more expensive but from the reading i did i figured it was better than the cheapest out there.
and was not as expensive as some of the hobby chargers i was pointed too at the time. so far so good.

I use AW IMR 16340's

I never leave bats in charger once they are charged.
I never leave them unattended while charging.
I transport my bats in a Plastic case made for that purpose.

I do aggree that we need to keep up with these incidents so we can learn from them.

Oh and Deach love that tower pic, you a Ham Radio Operator too? :2cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread