Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
Consistant purchasing of new equipment, juices and spending way too much time on the ECF have been the side effects experienced by many vapers.:)

There is some great inforamation in the medical threads on this forum. I'll suggest that because vaping is new "in the scheme of things" there is no 100% guarantee but that vaping is considered safe for most excluding those with preexisting problems including heart disease. There is a wealth of information about health and vaping - nothing I've read suggests that there are any contraindications to taking vaping up as an alternative to smoking.

JmeMcG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2012
Clackamas, Oregon
That's a really good question and one that I'm sure a lot of us would like to know. I can't tell ya... I'm just shy of the 30 day mark. However, I do know the long term effects of smoking (28 yrs.. PAD+): Stink, broke, can't breathe, shunned, stink, sick, look older, yellow finger... and ultimately: the very high probablility of death or disease directly realated to smoking.

I love vaping myself, so I will add the positives since I have stopped the analogs: Don't stink, can breathe (getting better everyday), feeling better everyday, happy, don't stink, yellow finger is gone and not as broke (lol... I am enjoying trying LOTS of stuff) and most importantly for me: knowing that I am now analog free.

All kidding aside... it is a good question and as far as what I think: it's better than the known long term effects of smoking.

Ladypixel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
La Verne, CA
The thread I'm about to dump a link in here to not only shows known symptoms of cigarette detox, but talks about some symptoms experienced by vapers over the course of time (both good and bad). I can tell you that medically-speaking, PG is used in hospitals to keep the air clean, plus in many asthma inhalers. VG is also used in asthma inhalers. Both are used in toothpaste, shampoo, etc... so while people do, in some cases, experience problems with one or the other of these, typically one will work for you, and they're both considered "safe" by the FDA for use.

Anyhow. Here's the link, and you might wanna take a look: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
Until a multi-decade study is conducted, one can only speculate. But to wit, the number of known e-cigarette deaths since 2003 (the year the modern devise was invented): zero. The number associated with incinerated tobacco over that same period? Well, I'll have to look that up. Safe guess it's a tad higher.

No one makes the claim that vaping is safe in the absolute sense. The operative term is reduction—as in harm reduction. I'd be surprised, frankly, if 20 years from now the verdict is that ingestion of propylene glycol for an extended period is perfectly harmless.

In the meantime, the effects of taking in 4000+ toxins—dozens of them known to be carcinogens—is well documented.

VapingTums

Verified Member
Apr 21, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Most of what is in ejuice is PG and VG. PG has been shown to be safe for inhalation and I believe the same to be true of VG but with less studies. You can never be 100% though of course. I think in moderation it's fine, however chain vaping all day and night probably won't be too good for anyone due to the levels of nicotine.

SuperLuckyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Most of what is in ejuice is PG and VG. PG has been shown to be safe for inhalation....

Er, I don't think so. Nobody knows, long term. Definitely better than ciggies, but as PI said above: I'd be surprised, frankly, if 20 years from now the verdict is that ingestion of propylene glycol for an extended period is perfectly harmless.

I think that ANY chemical inhaled is harmful to the lungs.

That being said, of course it's better than smoking.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
The thread I'm about to dump a link in here to not only shows known symptoms of cigarette detox, but talks about some symptoms experienced by vapers over the course of time (both good and bad). I can tell you that medically-speaking, PG is used in hospitals to keep the air clean, plus in many asthma inhalers. VG is also used in asthma inhalers. Both are used in toothpaste, shampoo, etc... so while people do, in some cases, experience problems with one or the other of these, typically one will work for you, and they're both considered "safe" by the FDA for use.

Anyhow. Here's the link, and you might wanna take a look: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

O.K., I'm lazy. Are these symptoms or long term effects? Big difference.

I've only been vaping for about 22 months, and all the effects I've seen so far have been good. When I first started, I was using too much PG and got some irritation from that, but that doesn't even count AFAIC.

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Unfortunatly no one realy knows what the long term effects will be. There are some here who have been vaping close to 5 years now but that's about it. Having used e-cigs for over three years I can honestly say that I have had no ill effects from it. This includes several visits to my regular doctor and my lung doctor.

Only time will tell........We are judging on faith and how we fell after we quit smoking.

:)Wiz!

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
31 days without smoking analog. My wife is happy. My urge for analog is almost gone except for after big meals. My only gripe is that the e-juice's tastes vary depends on my taste bud condition. Tried several brands of e-juices and some emit excessive perfume like odors. I guess search continues for acceptable e-juice.
Neo..........It took me quite awhile to find the perfect liquid. I have been using the same liquid for almost 2 years. No urges whatsoever.

Keep looking........You'll find it!
:)Wiz!

SuperLuckyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Austin, TX
"I can tell you that medically-speaking, PG is used in hospitals to keep the air clean, plus in many asthma inhalers. VG is also used in asthma inhalers. Both are used in toothpaste, shampoo, etc... so while people do, in some cases, experience problems with one or the other of these, typically one will work for you, and they're both considered "safe" by the FDA for use."

Agreed. What nobody yet knows, however, is what effects x number of ml per day for x number of years will do. We won't know that until further studies are done.

Not trying to discourage anyone - hell, I'll be vaping for years, I'm sure - but I will be doing it with my eyes open.

Happy vaping all!

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
It is also not going to be the same for everyone. Different vaping styles, equipment, mls per day, nic levels, etc. etc. etc. There are some that quote they do not inhale, others inhale moderately or deeply - each will experience different levels of long term effects...

One poster has said that there have been vapers vaping for 5 years - I really wish they had documented their results over the years. Oxygen levels, blood results, pain levels, etc... Even lung changes (x-rays not surgery - has their cloudiness reduced?)... We hear stories of I can run up the stairs now, or I do not strain to walk to the mail box anymore, but documented improvements are what can really sell this - not just verbal comments...

Me - I improved on my blood tests, but I have also had diet changes - so I cannot say it is just from vaping. I use less allergy medicine (none for 4 months, but once the dreaded yellow pollen comes I will know for sure or not)... Others have the same claims, but if some had documented evidence it would be stronger...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread