Help? Can I use Multimeter test on e-cig battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Hubby just bought me a Digital Multimeter, Is there a way to test my new e-cig batteries? I set on V. Where do I put the red (+) and black (-)tester ends ? I know they're supposed to be 3.7v,

Thanks~

Congrats on your new meter! 'Tis a fav tool of mine. =)

Plug your meter leads into the meter if you haven't done so already -- the red lead should have a corresponding red port in the meter, ditto the black lead. There should be nomenclature on the meter itself denoting the ports...

Set the meter's dial to VDC. (DC voltage)

Place (don't push hard just pressure) the red (+) pointed probe into the center of the battery terminal (the gold colored connector that screws into the atty). Then place the black(-) probe anywhere along the shell (the threaded part) of the battery connector. You should get a reading of 3.6 - 4.2 volts.

Congrats on your new meter! 'Tis a fav tool of mine. =)

Plug your meter leads into the meter if you haven't done so already -- the red lead should have a corresponding red port in the meter, ditto the black lead. There should be nomenclature on the meter itself denoting the ports...

Set the meter's dial to VDC. (DC voltage)

Place (don't push hard just pressure) the red (+) pointed probe into the center of the battery terminal (the gold colored connector that screws into the atty). Then place the black(-) probe anywhere along the shell (the threaded part) of the battery connector. You should get a reading of 3.6 - 4.2 volts.

Thanks Richie! I tried what you said on my good battery, so I know, I must be doing something wrong cuz it doesn't do anything, just all zeros.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
yes, it's on DC

Are there more than 3 ports on the meter that will accept the leads? Gotta make sure that you're set-up for measuring voltage.

Can you check a normal battery, like a D cell or something? I want to eliminate the possibility that you're placing the probes in the wrong spot on the e-cig batt...

Make and model number of the multi-meter? Maybe I can d/l the manual or at least see what the face looks like.

Are there more than 3 ports on the meter that will accept the leads? Gotta make sure that you're set-up for measuring voltage.

Can you check a normal battery, like a D cell or something? I want to eliminate the possibility that you're placing the probes in the wrong spot on the e-cig batt...

Make and model number of the multi-meter? Maybe I can d/l the manual or at least see what the face looks like.

RadioShack 29-Range Digital Multimeter

tested D batteries and got 1.5,

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
RadioShack 29-Range Digital Multimeter

tested D batteries and got 1.5,

Cool. =)

The meter works. The leads are in the right places. And you have at least one good D cell in the house. LOL

We know that your e-cig battery that is powering up your atty has some voltage in it. So, the only thing that is remaining is placing the probes on the right spots on the e-cig battery.

What kind of battery is this? What model e-cig?

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
This is the meter, right?

29-Range Digital Multimeter - RadioShack.com

The pic of the face is so small I can't make out the writing. Are there multiple ranges within the VDC settings? You may be set-up for less than 3.7 volts...

Yep! that's the one. My husband got a reading on the manual switich by pressing the switch, but no matter what we try on the auto batt. it reads zero's. Do I gotta blow through to activate it, lol. idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread