Status
Not open for further replies.

werkkrew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Philadelphia
www.werkkrew.com
Your local home improvement store sells O-rings. Just take your drip tip in and find one that fits. You can usually buy them in bags of 10 or more, and you don't have to pay shipping.

Yeah I figured, but I was concerned about knowing the right dimensions. The link to madvapes shows the dimensions though.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Funny you should post this. I just gave a friend of mine a couple of cartomizers I no longer use (his cartridge plus atomizer "system" wasn't working right, and I've never seen one that did), and his drip tip was a little loose on it. I said to him "hey, maybe you just need a new o-ring".

Here's some info about o-rings; just about every one known to man, except maybe the ones on the shuttle booster rockets, is designated by a "Dash" number, from 001 to 475. A 001 has an inner diameter (ID) of 1/32" and an outer diameter (OD) of 3/32"; a dash 475 has an ID of 26" and an OD of 26.5". After that, you're on your own.

So, ours would be closer to 001 than to 475. I'll measure mine with a micrometer and report back. Once you know the dash number for any O-ring, you can easily buy them in bulk, and stop being a slave to the insane markup you pay to a vendor or a hardware store.

Example: a dash 10 is 1/4" id and 3/8" od, and 100 of them are $2.34 from Mcmaster-Carr.

Holy crap, not a bad guess. Madvapes says the ID of a 510 drip tip O-ring is 6mm, and the OD is 9.4mm.

6mm = .236", or pretty damn close to 1/4". 3/8" = 9.524mm, or pretty damn close to 9.4 mm. There isn't a dash size that comes closer to the size that madvapes says the o-rings are. The only metric size that comes close is a 6mm ID, 1.5mm thick, which would give an OD of 9mm. And good luck finding metric o-rings in an American hardware store.

Bottom line: I think we're dealing with dash 10 o-rings, 1/4" id and 3/8" OD.

Last edited:

werkkrew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Philadelphia
www.werkkrew.com
Thanks John D! I'll order a pack in bulk and follow up with how well they fit.

Edit:

So I searched around a bit.

Madvapes - $0.30 Each

The O-Ring Store has about 15 different materials you can choose from, here's a selection of materials with the correct size and their price, by the way I have no idea what the different materies are. As best I can tell they are for various specific applications and have different characteristics as to how they perform with various materials. I feel like we can just buy the cheapest ones in this case.

There are about 10 other materials to choose from, as well as metric sizes. I have no idea if the material matters, nor do I know what the diameter of the o-ring itself is. That being said I feel like the Buna-N 70 @ 6 cents each (SAE Size).

John D: Can you try to measure the cross section diameter? Can't really order anything until I know that. All of the above prices are based on 1/16" CS Diameter. The o-ring store also has metric so if a metric size is better to use, we can do that.

Last edited:

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
"John D: Can you try to measure the cross section diameter? Can't really order anything until I know that. All of the above prices are based on 1/16" CS Diameter. The o-ring store also has metric so if a metric size is better to use, we can do that".

I'm going to go ahead and confirm that the proper size o-ring for a drip tip that fits a 510-type cartomizer is dash 10. Again, Dash 10 has an ID of 1/4" and an OD of 3/8", which implies a wall thickness (cross section) of 1/16". Doing the math, and ID of 1/4" (4/16) plus (2 x 1/16") = 6/16" or 3/8". In other words, the inside diameter plus twice the thickness (cross section) of the o-ring material = the OD.

As for the material that the o-ring is made of, I'd go with viton. What you get in hardware stores, and probably from e-cig vendors, is almost undoubtedly Buna-N (N is for nitrile) , and evidently the durometer (hardness scale) 70 is the cheapest and also probably the msot common. The other materials include viton, silicone, EPDM (ethylene propylene), neoprene, polyethylene, teflon, and ... wait for it .... Kalrez and FEP.

OK, borderline TMI. Bottom line: get viton dash 10 if you can find it. Why viton? The most important characteristic of this material for our purposes, in my opinion, is "compression set"; the ability of the material to retain its nominal dimensions when under constant compression. In other words, it resists getting smooshed better than a buna-N o-ring. "Good" versus "fair" according to the McMaster-Carr chart. (Here's another possible edge for viton: resistance to animal/vegetable oils "excellent", versus "good" for buna-n.

Viton o-rings cost about $.0531 each, as opposed to about $.0211 for buna-n.

Part number for dash 10 buna-n: 9452K18, $2.11 per 100.

Part number for dash 10 viton: 9464K15, $5.31 per 100.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=gkw5o7 (Viton)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=gkw6zh (Buna-N)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=gkw83z (Cool chart all about the properties of O-rings; a real page-turner)

OK, that's it for me; I'm all "o-ringed" out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freedom2Vape

rsi1986

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Thanks John D! I'll order a pack in bulk and follow up with how well they fit.

Edit:

So I searched around a bit.

Madvapes - $0.30 Each

The O-Ring Store has about 15 different materials you can choose from, here's a selection of materials with the correct size and their price, by the way I have no idea what the different materies are. As best I can tell they are for various specific applications and have different characteristics as to how they perform with various materials. I feel like we can just buy the cheapest ones in this case.

There are about 10 other materials to choose from, as well as metric sizes. I have no idea if the material matters, nor do I know what the diameter of the o-ring itself is. That being said I feel like the Buna-N 70 @ 6 cents each (SAE Size).

John D: Can you try to measure the cross section diameter? Can't really order anything until I know that. All of the above prices are based on 1/16" CS Diameter. The o-ring store also has metric so if a metric size is better to use, we can do that.
The lower the durometer# the softer the o ring is.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Well doesn't that just plain suck. I certainly do apologize for passing along incorrect information. I'll try to figure out where I screwed up.

I'm wishing now that I had stuck to simply saying that every O-ring (under 26" in diameter) has an associated dash number, and you can save a lot of money by determining what it is and buying them in bulk, and that as an added bonus you will likely also end up with a better o-ring.

werkkrew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Philadelphia
www.werkkrew.com
Well doesn't that just plain suck. I certainly do apologize for passing along incorrect information. I'll try to figure out where I screwed up.

I'm wishing now that I had stuck to simply saying that every O-ring (under 26" in diameter) has an associated dash number, and you can save a lot of money by determining what it is and buying them in bulk, and that as an added bonus you will likely also end up with a better o-ring.

No big deal, it only cost me like $5. I'm more ...... off that I still have a bunch of nice drip tips sitting around that I can't use.

\/aporAddikt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
Oklahoma
bump... I have far too many drip tips sitting around with no o-rings. Some one please find out where to get these in bulk!

Also, I've noticed that many different drip tips have many different sized notches cut in them (where the o-ring sits). This may mean that different drip tips need different cross section sizes. For example, the cut is deeper in my steel ming than my ceramic drip tips, which are deeper than my acrylic drip tips (deepness of cut: steel>ceramic>acrylic). I've actually changed out o-rings to see if it makes a difference, and it does. If I put the o-ring that came on my steel tip onto an acrylic tip, the acrylic tip won't even fit into a 510... too wide. This troubles me :/

Why can't these drip tip people just include a few spares? They would get more sales in the long run because people love free extras! I know I would order my tips only from them... anybody else with me?

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
bump... I have far too many drip tips sitting around with no o-rings. Some one please find out where to get these in bulk!

Also, I've noticed that many different drip tips have many different sized notches cut in them (where the o-ring sits). This may mean that different drip tips need different cross section sizes. For example, the cut is deeper in my steel ming than my ceramic drip tips, which are deeper than my acrylic drip tips (deepness of cut: steel>ceramic>acrylic). I've actually changed out o-rings to see if it makes a difference, and it does. If I put the o-ring that came on my steel tip onto an acrylic tip, the acrylic tip won't even fit into a 510... too wide. This troubles me :/

Why can't these drip tip people just include a few spares? They would get more sales in the long run because people love free extras! I know I would order my tips only from them... anybody else with me?

OK, I'm going to take another shot at this. I'm still reeling from my mistake in using Mad Vapes' measurements and coming to a faulty conclusion, but I've been looking into this pretty heavily in the meantime and have a new conclusion: I have very good reason to believe that these are indeed metric o-rings, which do not use the -dash system of measurement, but instead just go by ID and width (wall thickness). I make them to be 6mm ID x 1.5mm wide, which I'm about 95% certain of. Nothing else metric seems to come close, and these seem to be spot-on.

McMaster-Carr listing for 6mm x 1.5mm viton o-rings, pack of 25, $3.60 - 9263K292

McMaster-Carr: 609-689-3415

McMaster-Carr

If you order these and they are the wrong size, I will reimburse you for them and all shipping costs.

If they are the right size, just your undying gratitude will suffice. :)

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
lmao... I'll have to give that a shot. I know for a fact #5 o-rings (from Ace/Home Depot/Lowe's) are not right. However, #47 o-rings did fit my steel smoktech ming (Yes, smoktech ripped off cherry vape)! But the groove in this tip is very deep, and the #47 was too thick for any other drip tip.

I really do think that the o-rings are metric, and the size I listed. It makes no sense to me that they would be an "English"
(/"American") size, since the drip tips are almost undoubtedly made overseas, and most likely in China, which I believe uses the metric system. I long for the day when we do the same thing is this country, as we're dragged kicking and screaming into doing things that makes sense.

Just to say it again: metric sizes do not use the Dash numbering system, but are instead identified only by inside diameter (ID) in mm, and wall thickness in mm. I will be very surpised if the correct size is not 6mm ID x 1.5mm wall thickness. I haven't gotten around to ordering any of the McMaster-Carr ones myself, but I will. If anyone can report back as to whether or not they do fit, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread