Kick by Evolv

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Just put the Kick in my SB last night. This thing is amazing! It doesn't care if I'm using a 1.5ohm atty for a little direct dripping or a 3ohm carto tank, it just self adjusts the voltage to deliver the same great sweet spot.
    Think I'm going to vape myself sick today because I just can't put this thing down! The SB is now everything it was meant to be.

hawkizefan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2010
    omaha
    Want one BAAAAD. would like to know how my current set up, which I'm very happy with, would compare to "my current set up" with the Kick.
    Currently hitting a SB with mega dc's @ 6 volts. So far real good. But there are times that a little more heat would be good, and times that dialing it back to appreciate flavor would be cool too.

So I guess what I would like to hear is some input from another 6 volt SB user and how the Kick performs at 6 volts + or -. I know the kick is all about wattage and not volts, but hope I put this out there in at least a somewhat non-dumb""s way.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 9, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Want one BAAAAD. would like to know how my current set up, which I'm very happy with, would compare to "my current set up" with the Kick.
    Currently hitting a SB with mega dc's @ 6 volts. So far real good. But there are times that a little more heat would be good, and times that dialing it back to appreciate flavor would be cool too.

So I guess what I would like to hear is some input from another 6 volt SB user and how the Kick performs at 6 volts + or -. I know the kick is all about wattage and not volts, but hope I put this out there in at least a somewhat non-dumb""s way.

This video should answer some of your questions. According to that info the kick has a 5.5v and 10 watt limit. Plenty for me and most but if you're liking DC at 6v it might not be for you.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...4705-basilray-reviews-kick-evolv-testing.html

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah

Sure hope those are 2.5ohm DCC's. A 1.5ohm DCC @ 6volts would be 24watts at 4amps, and a kick won't even get close to that kind of output. The kicks maximum output is 5.5v @ 10watts.
    This will give you a better idea of what a kick will and will not do:
    A PBusardo Review - The Kick by Evolvapor - ElectronicStix - YouTube

Last edited:

hawkizefan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2010
    omaha
    Sure hope those are 2.5ohm DCC's. A 1.5ohm DCC @ 6volts would be 24watts at 4amps, and a kick won't even get close to that kind of output. The kicks maximum output is 5.5v @ 10watts.
    This will give you a better idea of what a kick will and will not do:
    A PBusardo Review - The Kick by Evolvapor - ElectronicStix - YouTube

Just checked Madvapes site which says 1.6 +or- .2....2 3.2 coils for a total resistance of 1.6. Dual coils baffle me when trying to figure wattage. Is that part of the equation 1.6 or 3.2? Oh well, whatever it is I like the results. I could stand a bit more heat sometimes but I'm sure i would probably use the kick to dial down....but a regulated 5 volt would do that also.

Should just hit the lottery and by them all.:p

bemorphy

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    WHen you hook batteries up in series, like two 6 volt batteries, you get 12 volts, but the current stays the same.

When you hook the same up in parallel, the voltage stays the same, but the current increases.

So, with two coils, there must be more resistance. Just like running a dsl cable 100 feet into the back yard, you will lose signal and may not work at all with the added length of wire resistance.

Hey tj would love to see your mods.

Riverboat

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 15, 2012
    Arizona
    I have a Kick, I use it in my Precise+ 18650... When using it with Joye standard resistance atomizers(2.3ohms) I turn it all the way up to 10 watts and it reads at 4.8 volts under load....... Its a strong vape... The advantage of using the Kick is that it will give the same hit through out the battery charge...

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    WHen you hook batteries up in series, like two 6 volt batteries, you get 12 volts, but the current stays the same.

When you hook the same up in parallel, the voltage stays the same, but the current increases.

So, with two coils, there must be more resistance. Just like running a dsl cable 100 feet into the back yard, you will lose signal and may not work at all with the added length of wire resistance.

When you put two resistors in series the total resistance increases, when you put them in parallel the total resistance decreases.
    Here's how it works; if you force a set amount of water through one 5/8in hose it will be at a higher pressure than if you are forcing it through two 5/8in hoses sitting side by side.

Most of my mods are just ugly black battery boxes on the outside that look something like this on the inside. (this is one that I've made a couple of coppies of)
    44_mini4-1.jpg

Then again, some are as simple as this.
    P1000480.jpg

Last edited:

hawkizefan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2010
    omaha
    When you put two resistors in series the total resistance increases, when you put them in parallel the total resistance decreases.
    Here's how it works; if you force a set amount of water through one 5/8in hose it will be at a higher pressure than if you are forcing it through two 5/8in hoses sitting side by side.

Most of my mods are just ugly black battery boxes on the outside that look something like this on the inside. (this is one that I've made a couple of coppies of)
    44_mini4-1.jpg

P1000480.jpg

Nice little box mods. I like the top one. Could you tell me about it........and then make me 1..:laugh:

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Nice little box mods. I like the top one. Could you tell me about it........and then make me 1..:laugh:

Sorry, gotta make your own :toast:

Here is a nice PDF of how to build one of Mamu's designs
    http://www.howder.com/dena_howto.pdf
    I built this in a 3xAA box minus the volt meter.

That top pic is a "boosted" VV mod (like the Provari or LavaTube ... with one bat) instead of a "regulated" VV mod (like the BuzzPro or IPro ... with two bats)
    Mamu's PDF is a regulated VV mod.

Last edited:

hawkizefan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2010
    omaha
    That is awesome...thanks for the info. I'm jealous of you guys that can do that. I can build you a house..from pouring the footings to putting on the ridge cap and everything in between (just minor elec. And plumbing I admit), but everything else. Framing, drywall, paint-wallpaper,trim...you name it. I'm very "handy". But for some reason electronics just seem to baffle me a bit. I admit that I haven't made a concerted effort to learn....guess I should because I know I would enjoy creating something similar to what you've done.

Again thanks for sharing that.

ita

Reviewer / Blogger
    Verified Member
    Mar 18, 2011
    Portugal
    vaper.imbl.net
    Where are they selling the kick? I keep seeing people who say they have them but find no where that sells them. I think maybe they were released and sold out while I was in the hospital but I want to get a hold of one.
    I got mine from Super T Manufacturing, but they're out of stock now.

smkd13

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 29, 2012
    Provo, UT

44_mini4-1.jpg

P1000480.jpg

Ok so question of you know how to draw a diagram of that box that would be awesome. I need on just to base off of. I don't have my electrical books from school and can't remember some things. But looks good bro

makasin

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2010
    San Diego

you mean the current RATING, right? just to clarify so nobody is confused. Parallel batts of equal voltage will give you twice the mAh available, so double the longevity.
    Well with the dual coil, the coils are in parallel, so they drop in resistance by half, but the problem is, heating up two 3ohm coils requires more energy than just one. which is why the "series resistance" seen by the batt is 1.5Ohm, but since the coils are 3 ohms for example, they have way more windings than a 1.5ohm, so they need more power to get hot, but they are more robust and have a higher surface area to conduct the heat to (the filler/eliquid). Thats what makes them kinda weird for things like darwin/evolv that sense series impedence. Also, counterintuitively, as wire heats up, the resistance goes up a bit, and the evolv/darwin thinks the coil is in series with VDD and GND, as a 1.5ohm (which is a lot less lenth of coil than a 3ohm). That explains basically the issue with dual/triple coils. They still work, to a certain extent, but you really need more than 10W for most of them. Like if I wanted to power a dual coil 1.5 ohm (3ohm//3ohm), on a 6V mod, I would need 4 amps, 24 Watts, which is what (i think) the darwin can supply, but the evolv cannot. I plan on making a mod with two kicks or that new device that Evolv is making that can do 24 watts just like the Darwin.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread