coughing up blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

schadoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
I have coughed up frothy blood twice now, I smoked the npro for a week with no problems. I then got a 901 and some liquid, and the next day I coughed up blood . It went away and was just regullar cough up after about 7 cough and spits. I then went back to analogs, Yesterday I tried the 901 again , and coughed up blood again this morning? every time I make up my mind to quit analogs and go to vaping totaly I wake up and cough up blood.I am going to try just using the npro again , I went and got 10 more carts for it, and will lay off the pg vg liquid i was using with the 901, and see if there is blood.

Has anyone else coughed up blood when first trying vaping?

schadoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
I will call the dr. I have coughed up blood before, and went to the dr. i was told that a little blood was ok, but if it was orange or green to call right away. My coughing has been sever for years, and would see some blood in phlem several times a year for the last 10 years. The question i had was why is it only happening the morning after vaping. Could the pg vg be drying out my lungs and making it bleed? I have brochitus, copd, acute sinusitis, and have smoked for 27 years.

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
For me, every time I tried quitting, I would cough alot the first few days. When I got my 510, same thing happened - could be the same for you. Your cough being a product of quitting smoking, and not the pg/vg. PG/VG can cause upper respiratory irritation, but they would not cause you to bleed. Studies were conducted specifically on the inhalation of PG/VG, for the entertainment industry, specifically because it was used in fog machines. After the studies, it was specifically stated as preferable, because neither are bio-cumulative, and the respiratory irritation was the only side effect, which goes away.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
I will call the dr. I have coughed up blood before, and went to the dr. i was told that a little blood was ok, but if it was orange or green to call right away. My coughing has been sever for years, and would see some blood in phlem several times a year for the last 10 years. The question i had was why is it only happening the morning after vaping. Could the pg vg be drying out my lungs and making it bleed? I have brochitus, copd, acute sinusitis, and have smoked for 27 years.

That would be a question best posed to a medical professional.

Luck

schadoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
slds what study has been done on the flavoring that was used, in the liquid i bought, or anything else that was added aside from what was used to test the fog machine. bleach is a good thing unless you pour it on urine, then it becomes mustard gas. Saying 1 ingredient is tested does make the recipe safe. I noted that the npro did not seem to cause it, and was just asking if any others had noticed blood in phlem. If you guys coughed worse after quitting, then you probably had blood at times and just never noticed. The dr said violent coughing can cas blood also. I on the other hand did not cough worse in fact cough was better since vaping, it just has blood in phlem, after using the liquid and the 901.

Nepenthy

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Cbus, Ohio
I smoked a pack a day of Camels for 23 years. I have never coughed up blood. I have been furiously vaping high strength PG and VG for the past 3 months, no blood. Go to a doctor as soon as you can, dont try and figure it out yourself or listen to anyone saying you should switch to a different suspension agent. Might help to narrow it down for your doctor if you dont vape first thing in the morning and see if you still cough up blood. Im no expert but I think fluid and junk drain back into your lungs when youre laying prone, so the morning probably has more to do with it than vaping. Regardless, go see a dr. Blood in any bodily fluid, including phlem, is bad.

schadoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Nep is probably correct, in the laying prone, I was using vg. The npro was pg and it never happened. I think I know what is going on though. I will still call the dr. I have bad sinus problems, and live in illinois. The weather here changes drasticly. Some morings it can be 35 and be 80 by afternoon. This makes my sinuses act up bad. I just blew my nose and some blood came out. I think it was from drainage over night. Not vaping in the morning wont help. It was not caused from anything right then. It was in there when I woke up, and I coughed it up and then it was just phlem the rest of day. Im doing a sinus rinse right now. I think I never exhaled through my nose while vaping with the npro. Since the 901 made so much more vaper, I did with it, and I did it yesterday also. This probably dried my sinus and caused the bleed and drainage into my lungs. Thanks for the input, and I am calling for a dr appt tomorrow. For future reference please do not throw out the studies done on pg vg when somneone has a problem. the tests done have not proved anything, and are not being done on the table top suppliers mixes. People on here post that this and that is in foods , but that does not mean we should vape it. Dont get me worng Im still going to vsape as long as nothing serious happens, but Noting tests done on fog machines should not be used , that test did not include sucking it into your lungs directly and over and over again. The nebulizer uses pg but its at 50.50 with water, and that just wont vape. There are no tests done on the impact of any flavorings being taken into the lungs by way of vaping, in the amount we vape. Anyone coming here to ask a question wants to see if anyone else has had the same issue. they are not attacking vaping, and do not want to hear about how it should be ok , because dow did a test on a smoke machine. When it comes down to it we have no idea what exactly is in any bottle of liquid we buy, it could vary from bottle to bottle from the same place.

Last edited:

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
For future reference please do not throw out the studies done on pg vg when somneone has a problem. the tests done have not proved anything, and are not being done on the table top suppliers mixes.

1) You asked about VG causing you to cough up blood, and I told you that was not the underlying cause. Yes, you ask about PG/VG, and I'll tell you about PG/VG.

2) Actually, inhaling VG/PG over and over again is exactly what the studies were. The entertainment industry was concerned about the effects on the techs and the performers. It is not bio-cumulative, and can cause upper respiratory irritation.

I don't understand how someone so concerned about PG/VG can be so unconcerned about the idea that they are coughing up blood. If you are coughing up blood, something is up with your body, and its not the PG/VG directly making you cough up blood, something else is the problem. Maybe you're agitating your other issues, I have no idea - but you asked a question, and I answered you. So why are you attacking me for answering your question? You don't make any sense.

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
I started vaping an 801 in the afternoons and my anus fell out. Why would that happen? Do you anonymous people on the internet know what's happening to me? Obviously everyone on an e-cig forum is qualified to diagnose my problem over the internet. Should I switch to 901s or VG? How do I put my anus back in? Could it be the flavoring, it hasn't been tested much and might cause fecal fallout, right? The funny thing is, when I go back to huffing paint, I feel ok.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BARENETTED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
NEW JERSEY, USA
All I can say is - you need to see a doctor ASAP and if your doctor says coughing up blood is ok - you need to find another doctor ASAP! This is not normal and has nothing to do with vaping. Did you ever think about the damage that has been done over the past 27 years?? Sorry, we are nothing more than vaping friends on a forum. You have a serious problem and need professional medical help. :(

schadoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Thank you to the people who actually answered my question. The rest that are only interested in making the point that no way pg/vg can cause any problems can read the msds sheet. I copied some below. notice it says DO NOT BREATH . I have coughed up pinkish phlem for a long time and have seen many doctors. It is usually from sinus drainage, but can also happen from coughing violently. Yes it can also mean something bad. I was asking about the vaping because both times it has happened recently was after vaping liquid bought for refilling. It had not happened since last winter, and there was 4 days between the 2 days it happened recently, i did not vape for the 4 days it did not happen. i then vaped and it happened the next morning. So it was not like your anus . maybe if you were not such a .... to people trying to get help with this your .... would not have fallen out.

Material Safety Data Sheet
Propylene glycol MSDS

Potential Acute Health Effects:
Hazardous in case of ingestion. Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, permeator), of eye contact
(irritant), of inhalation.

Precautions:
Keep away from heat. Keep away from sources of ignition. Empty containers pose a fire risk, evaporate the
residue under a fume hood. Ground all equipment containing material. Do not ingest. Do not breathe gas/fumes/
vapor/spray. Wear suitable protective clothing. In case of insufficient ventilation, wear suitable respiratory
equipment. If ingested, seek medical advice immediately and show the container or the label. Avoid contact with
skin and eyes. Keep away from incompatibles such as oxidizing agents, reducing agents, acids, alkalis, moisture.

Chronic Effects on Humans: May cause damage to the following organs: central nervous system (CNS).

May affect genetic material (mutagenic).
May cause adverse reproductive effects and birth defects (teratogenic) based on animal test data.
Special Remarks on other Toxic Effects on Humans:
Acute Potential Health Effects:
Skin: May cause mild skin irritation. It may be absorbed through the skin and cause systemic effects similar to
those of ingestion.
Eyes: May cause mild eye irritation with some immediate, transitory stinging, lacrimation, blepharospasm, and
mild transient conjunctival hyperemia. There is no residual discomfort or injury once it is washed away.
Inhalation: May cause respiratory tract irritation.
Ingestion: It may cause gastrointestinal tract irritation. It may affect behavior/central nervous system(CNS
depression, general anesthetic, convulsions, seizures, somnolence, stupor, muscle contraction or spasticity,
coma), brain (changes in surface EEG), metabolism, blood (intravascular hemolysis, white blood cells - decreased
neutrophil function), respiration (respiratory stimulation, chronic pulmonary edema, cyanosis), cardiovascular
system(hypotension, bradycardia, arrhythmias, cardiac arrest), endocrine system (hypoglycemia), urinary system
(kidneys), and liver.
Chronic Potential Health Effects:
Skin: Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause allergic contact dermatitis.
Ingestion: Prolonged or repeated ingestion may cause hyperglycemia and may affect behavior/CNS (symptoms
similar to that of acute ingestion).
Inhalation: Prolonged or repeated inhalation may affect behavior/CNS (with symptoms similar to ingestion), and
spleen

schadoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
you know what, I am sorry i came here to ask a question. This is the closest i have ever came to quiting smoking, and I just wanted some help. I wont make the mistake of coming here and asking again. I will instead go to my dr and explain that I used a pv and my lungs bled, i didnt use it for 4 days and was fine, I used it again and they bled again. he can then contact the fda and that will help the cause. Chad you banner is great , one of the reasons ecigs are at risk is people like you who just act like nothing bad can happen from vaping, and everyone who thinks it can is ignorant. If they did not try to sell it as a perfectly safe alternative to smoking, some even stated it was healthy and perfectly safe. It may not be facing a ban right now. P.S I hope you find your anus , you will need it the next time someone else asked about vaping, its hard to be a a hole withput the a.

beckah54

Dog Lover!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
Ohio
you know what, I am sorry i came here to ask a question. This is the closest i have ever came to quiting smoking, and I just wanted some help. I wont make the mistake of coming here and asking again. I will instead go to my dr and explain that I used a pv and my lungs bled, i didnt use it for 4 days and was fine, I used it again and they bled again. he can then contact the fda and that will help the cause. Chad you banner is great , one of the reasons ecigs are at risk is people like you who just act like nothing bad can happen from vaping, and everyone who thinks it can is ignorant. If they did not try to sell it as a perfectly safe alternative to smoking, some even stated it was healthy and perfectly safe. It may not be facing a ban right now. P.S I hope you find your anus , you will need it the next time someone else asked about vaping, its hard to be a a hole withput the a.

Schadoe,

Please calm down. The people here are trying to HELP you. It is not normal to cough up blood whatever the cause. This needs to be diagnosed by your family physician.
I believe what they are trying to tell you is that we are just people, not doctors. They would tell anyone that is coughing up blood the same thing. They are telling you this because they are concerned about your health.
Don't put it off no matter what you think might be causing this. Call you doctor and let him/her check you out for your sake and your familys' sake.
We just want you to be safe.
Good luck and please tell us what your doctor says.

Beckah

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Ummm, has anyone else read Schadoe's other posts on ECF? Something isn't right here...

Vaping Wintergreen Oil? (8/22) Asking if you are going to die... What? After being told not to use LorAnn's with oils in them just a few hours earlier.

i used the wintergreen and smoked a full cart, then i read this
The most concentrated and toxic form of salicylate is oil of wintergreen (methyl salicylate, a component of some liniments and solutions used in hot vaporizers); ingestion of < 5 mL can kill a young child. Any exposure should be considered serious.
Salicylates impair cellular respiration by uncoupling oxidative phosphorylation. They stimulate respiratory centers in the medulla, causing primary respiratory alkalosis. Am I going to die lol?

Yup, something is odd here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread