Why does juice change colors in tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oXxDANExXo

Feb 18, 2011
flowermound
When I put the juice in its almost clear but after using the tank for a few hours it changes to a medium brown color. Does anyone know why this happens? I think its odd and concerns me.
since excess juice from the carto goes back into the tank do to gravity its simplys getting discolored from the carto burning the juice :evil:

Ladypixel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
La Verne, CA
How much juice do you put into the carto when you're filling it up? Because the carto does need to be filled as well as the tank... and if the carto got burned, it's possible that the color is translating to the juice. However, heating up a juice does tend to bring out a little more of the color, although I have never seen one go from almost clear to medium brown -- that seems a bit extreme.

tippyclubb

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2011
Michigan
I'm vaping burnt juice, wow. It sure does taste good but this is another reason I will be giving up vaping soon. Theres just not enough information on the side effects of vaping or long term damage, if any. Who knows, but I'm not willing to risk it much longer.

Vaping has served its purpose and got me off the analogs and I have weened myself down to 6mg of nicotine. I will vape for a few more months and get myself down to 0 nicotine and then quit.

Burnt juice, well that explains the small brown particles I see in the clear drip tip.

tippyclubb

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2011
Michigan
How much juice do you put into the carto when you're filling it up? Because the carto does need to be filled as well as the tank... and if the carto got burned, it's possible that the color is translating to the juice. However, heating up a juice does tend to bring out a little more of the color, although I have never seen one go from almost clear to medium brown -- that seems a bit extreme.[/QUOTe

I put 40 drops into the carto

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
What kind of carto?

I use Boge cartos in a J-Tank and I've never seen juice change color even slightly. I load up a tank with AVE Hype or Boba's Bounty or Halo Tribeca on a regular basis. Tribeca is basically yellow, and stays that color. Hype is orange-yellow, and stays that color. Boba's is medium brown, and stays that way.

Is it a clearo of some kind? I could see if the atty is literally *in* the tank, the juice might change color.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
My invoice reads 1.5ohm DCT cartomizers, no brand name like Boge or Smoketech and its Pirates Bounty juice from Mister-E-Liquid, which I love to vape.

Those are Smoktech. They should be pre-drilled for tanks (thus the 'T' in the name -- Dual-Coil-Tank).

Something is amiss if you're getting bits floating in the tank and the juice is changing color that radically. I'm not familiar with Mister-E-Liquid, but reading their site it seems they take pride in their ingredients and mix in the US, so I'm doubting there's anything funky with their juice. Have you tried contacting them, just on the off-chance they've heard of this before? There's considerable heat applied to juice in a tank, and maybe it's affecting some component of the juice causing it to darken.

FriedLiverAtack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
California, USA
Once when I was still using an ego-t I had bought some chocolate covered cherry juice that seemed to form a precipitate in the tank that was dark and cloudy looking. But this is an entirely different technology.

On occasion (w/carto tank) it has seemed that dark juice has gotten darker when the tank is nearly empty. I figure that perhaps the darker elements in the juice don't wick into the carto as well. But I have never seen clear juice get darker so I do not believe what I have seen is the result of backwash into the tank.

wyetterp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Murrells Inlet, SC
I could also just be from the heat the carto put's off. I don't seriously see anything to be concerned with.

Good for you if your deciding to stop vaping as well. Nothing wrong with that. I just love blowing big clouds & haven't had any negative side affects that I know off. I really haven't heard of any from the vets either. Your concerns are logical though.

Lol, what ever you do, don't cut open a old carto & look in the diaper!

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I'm using a Vision Stone Tank, no polyfill. Both peach/pineapple and Yikes Stripes "Flux" juice from Gotvapes turn dark in it. I assumed it was something to do with the sweetness, maybe partial carmelization?. The sweeter of the two, the "Yikes Stripes", turns extremely dark. I could hardly tell it from some DIY Chocolate Mint I had in another VS tank.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I'm vaping burnt juice, wow. It sure does taste good but this is another reason I will be giving up vaping soon. Theres just not enough information on the side effects of vaping or long term damage, if any. Who knows, but I'm not willing to risk it much longer.

Vaping has served its purpose and got me off the analogs and I have weened myself down to 6mg of nicotine. I will vape for a few more months and get myself down to 0 nicotine and then quit.

Burnt juice, well that explains the small brown particles I see in the clear drip tip.

The reality is that whether you use a tank or not, you're usually vaping juice that has been burnt, it's just that with the tank you can see it.

You're right that there's not as much information on long term effects and there's no safety standards for flavors, etc. with vaping. However, for most of us the alternative is smoking not nothing. The health hazards of smoking are well known. With vaping the ingredients are known and generally regarded as safe when used other ways. That means we are choosing between one habit that is known to be dangerous and one habit that is not known to be 100% safe.

LXXVI

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I tend to lean towards the "Sweetner" Carmalizing. My absolute go-to juice is Wintergreen from Freedomsmoke USA. I buy this stuff in 120 bottles now. Before adding sweetner from Mrs. T's (Currently down for Maintenance) but I have noticed that discoloration too. I was at about a 1/4 tank when I filled this morning and when I filled it, I got a separation too. No change in performance, but I was worried it was the result of a burnt electrode or something. here is the picture of a 2 day old 2.0Ω (although reading 5.5Ω for some crazy reason) DCT carto running at a moderate 5.0v on my ProVari.

Ejuice mix.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread