From NEWPORT to Electronic Cigarettes - STRONGEST THROAT HIT - Complete Novice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I spent the evening educating myself on the subject and today I'm still unable to make a decision.

I want to give e-cigarettes a chance but I have no idea where to start, what to buy and where.

I currently smoke Newport cigarettes and that is all I can smoke. In the choice between smoking a regular cigarette and not smoking I just don't smoke.

I remove half the filter before smoking my Newport to get a stronger throat hit.

I smoke about 10 cigarettes a day.

From what I was able to find out searching the web and this forum, the closes thing to Newport is the Nuport or 555 Menthol juice from nhaler.com.

In order for this to work I need to find something that can give a pretty strong throat hit, I can inhale a Cuban cigar without problems so I know a lot of the e-cigarettes out there are not going to work for me.

Do I buy a KR808 or a 501? I still can't understand why these alternatives exist and what is the difference in experience. I get the two and three piece difference and the upgrading possibilities (which at this stage of my study into this I have a hard time understanding ...upgrade what? and why?) but which one is more like a strong cigarette when it comes to TH?

I've been a smoker for 14 years and had no intention of giving it up until suddenly one day I became allergic to smoke. Can you believe that? I still smoke of course but I have to put up with a lot of sneezing now and even the smell is becoming a problem.

I'm not about to give up one of my passions so I need to find a substitute quick ...if that even exists.

Please advise me on where to start? What exactly do I buy? Where do I put these juices I've heard of? Can I use them in any starter kit? How does it work? Do I just pour it in an empty cartridge? Do started kits come with empty cartridges? What if they are pre-filled, can I swap 'em out?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Chris77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Fishers, IN
10 smokes a day and you can inhale a Cuban? Wow!

The common advice for beginners is usually to forego a KR808 and jump right into a Kgo or an eGo; both of which are 510 threaded. As far as I know, the threading is the only real difference, and you can purchase a simple adapter to put 510 atomizers on a KR8, and vice versa.

I own an Ego-C, however I would suggest the kGo as it is a higher voltage PV and will result in better throat hit. The Kgo will allow you to attach a cartomizer, a tank, a cartridge, or direct drip on an atomizer- it's quite versatile.

If the standard atomizers your startup kit don't give you a good enough TH, you can purchase a low resistance atomizer which will help a lot.

hoosierecigsupply.com is the most frequently references supplier for Kgos, and they're prices are great. I'm thinking about adding a kGo to my collection just to see what all the hype is about :)

As for juice, I think you're in luck actually- I've yet to vape anything that closely resembles a filtered Camel or Marlboro, but the menthol juices do much more justice to their analog counterparts. My advice: try all of the mentholated popular ones and best sellers, as many as you can. The Menthol 555 sounds good, some 555s I've had have excellent tobacco taste- adding menthol to it (btw, you can do that yourself if you want) may hit the spot. Also, unlike smoking, I've found that I prefer a few different flavors over the course of the day instead of just one.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more suggestions and answers to your other questions :)

In the meantime, keep reading and researching! Happy vaping and best wishes to you!

deezdrama

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2012
illinois
I smoked newports for 16 years and quit about a month ago, been only vaping now and even hitting a newport is nasty to me now...

I started with the small cigarette look alike 808's ..... they got me away from smoking a pack and a half of newports a day, these small pv's are nice because u feel like your smoking a cig but you will quickly get sick of recharging the little batteries (keep spares! ) and they dont perform bad but if u can get over the need to have a cigarrete sized device.... you will get much better th,vapor production, battery life and performance from a larger mod with a manual button...

I was in the same boat as u a month ago, after using some cheap ecigs from the mall i found this forum and was suggested the epower 14650, its a great mod to start out with.

I got mine from crystalclearvaping.com it comes with 2 batteries, charger, empty cartos, and a 30ml bottle of juice for under $60 ...I got mine with menthol juice, plenty of throathit but is a little more strong in the menthol department, almost like smoking a kool. I get more of a newport taste by adding a little ry4 juice to it.

I havnt tried the nuport or others but plan to in the future. i find though that any strong menthol juice gives me that newport cool throathit and really like mint juices too...

once u get used to the fact your not a smoker anymore you can wander to fruitier menthol flavors like orchord frost and mentholblast from backwoodsbrews.com

i heard backwoodsbrews regular menthol is great as well since its not just pure halls menthol tasting and it has soft tobbacco tones on exhale.

when i first started vaping, i had to have menthol, whats great is now when im tired of menthol i can jump to a different flavor or a sweeter vape

if i was you i think you would be set with a kit like the epower (or kgo, ego...there all similar but the epower breaks apart into components that can be replaced cheaply instead of having to buy another whole unit if something goes bad) and just start trying some of the menthols out there in small sample bottles untill u find the one you really like.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Based on your throat hit comment, at a minimum you will want a Kgo or E-Power. But in reality, you should really consider a good 5 volt or variable volt/watt model. These will provide better throat hit and warmer vapor than any 3.4 volt to 3.7 volt model. In addition, you will want to get your eliquid in the 24mg - 36mg nicotine strength range.

Throat hit comes 90% from two things: nicotine strength and warmth of the vapor (more powerful batteries).

If I was you, I would jump right into the deep pool and look at 5 volt and variable volt models such as these:

5 volt GLV2 (the best on the market): GLV-2 Electronic Cigarette [GLV-2] - $120.00 : Electronic Cigarettes and E-Liquid - Great Lakes Vapor

5 volt Box Mod: 5V Regulated Mod - Ken's Boxmods

Variable volt EVO: Big Battery Mods

Good Luck

Stef64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2011
Michigan
Welcome to ECF.

Both the KGo and the ePower mentioned by previous posters are excellent choices for a beginner. Combined with a low-resistance atomizer or cartomizer they give a pretty good throat hit and lots of vapor. Throat hit in vaping is dependent on the amount of nicotine in the juice: the higher the nicotine content, the greater the throat hit. Juices higher in PG will let more of the TH come through, while VG attenuates the TH of nicotine. If you like a good TH, select juices with high nicotine content and a larger proportion of PG. I would recommend juices with 18-24mg/ml nicotine and 70% PG or higher.

As far as filling carts/cartos, best way to learn is to see it done. Go to youtube and search for "filling cartomizers" and you should be able to see how it's done. Same goes for carts.

luvinit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Northern NY, United States
If you don't want to go the mod route,, I second the KGO suggestion. I have one (well, two!) and with the right juice at the right strength and the right carto or tank,, you won't be sorry. I use 1.7ohm low rez cartos (resurrectors from Crystal Clear Vaping) and the vape is fabulous!! I've never had any luck with atty's.. everything tastes burnt to me in them. I'm a carto girl, all the way. Good luck on your search!

Thank you all for the great suggestions.

From reading your posts I've realized that as usual when entering unfamiliar territory I make mistakes :( ...and I think I did one today.

Eager to give vaping a try I started reading product reviews on vendor's site and under the description of the KR808D-1 it said: " It's considered to be the strongest throat hit available!" so I went ahead and ordered the starter kit.

If that statement is true then I bought the right thing but everyone here pointed at other products so I fear my decision may have been rushed.

On a positive note I think I got the juice part of my order right, I bought the 24mg ...however instead of buying the sample size as it was aptly suggested here I bought two 30ml bottles. I was a bit clueless on how much I would need so I may have bought too much ...I guess I can always use it to mix drinks if I can't vape it :) j/k

Further research demonstrated that the KGO as suggested by most people here may have been the better choice but I guess now I'll just have to try what I've got and see if it compares to my sweet and lovely Newports :) (I think they suspect I am about to cheat on them so I have to type very quietly) :)

If what I bought doesn't do it I wonder if I should skip the KGO step all together and do as wv2win suggested and buy the higher end variable type? I may be jumping the gun though.

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Its not too late to cancel the order if you e-mail them right now, or at least just cancel the 808 and keep the juice. If they are on top of their customer service you could get lucky there!

If you do truly need that throat hit as bad as you say wv2win did offer some solid advice. I use VV or variable volt box mod. A 5v will absolutely without a doubt be MUCH stronger then an eGo, Kgo, Riva, ect. Box mods are smaller then they appear on the screen by the way. I have baby hands and mine fits just a bit outside of my palm. It's quite different then most likely what you expected but a higher volt device might just be what will do the job for you. You don't have to pay big bucks and get "top of the line" either to go 5v or VV.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Thank you all for the great suggestions.

From reading your posts I've realized that as usual when entering unfamiliar territory I make mistakes :( ...and I think I did one today.

Eager to give vaping a try I started reading product reviews on vendor's site and under the description of the KR808D-1 it said: " It's considered to be the strongest throat hit available!" so I went ahead and ordered the starter kit.

If that statement is true then I bought the right thing but everyone here pointed at other products so I fear my decision may have been rushed.

On a positive note I think I got the juice part of my order right, I bought the 24mg ...however instead of buying the sample size as it was aptly suggested here I bought two 30ml bottles. I was a bit clueless on how much I would need so I may have bought too much ...I guess I can always use it to mix drinks if I can't vape it :) j/k

Further research demonstrated that the KGO as suggested by most people here may have been the better choice but I guess now I'll just have to try what I've got and see if it compares to my sweet and lovely Newports :) (I think they suspect I am about to cheat on them so I have to type very quietly) :)

If what I bought doesn't do it I wonder if I should skip the KGO step all together and do as wv2win suggested and buy the higher end variable type? I may be jumping the gun though.

Suppliers that don't register on ECF and popup through Google regularly, are mostly big LIARS. The one you ordered is a mini that will probably only give you 30-60 minutes of average at best performance. I would take frostings advice and cancel the order if possible. OR, you can keep it as a backup. We recommend everyone have at least one backup PV (personal vaporizer).

I personally have not used the new EVO variable volt model but have read several good reviews on it. For about $79 for the kit and based on your comments, I would lean towards it, since it gives you 3.7, 4.5 and 5.0 volt options in a fairly inexpensive starter kit. But all the options suggested by me and others are good beginner options over any mini-battery model like the one you ordered. And manual batteris (small buttom) provides more control, warmer vapor and are safer. About 95% of us use manual batteries over auto batteries. You will also need to get some eliquid and blank cartomizers. I would pick up a couple of dual coil cartomizers since they also provide a little better hit. I would start out with 24mg nicotine strength liquid but you can move up to 36mg if necessary for better throat hit.

If you want to use your kr808 atomizer or cartomizer with the ones we suggested, then you will need to get a $4 510 to 808 adapter. You can get them at

Welcome to MadVapes LLC.

Last edited:

Amashinga

Mar 26, 2012
Canada
I cannot comment much but I can relate. Even though I am a moderate smoker, I could roll up prairie grass in newspaper and inhale it. Buffalo chips included :)

From the reading that I have done I am not really going to know how things work without trying it. I decided to go for a fairly generic platform, the kgo, get some juice of varying strengths, and then start playing around.

Thank you everyone for welcoming me and for wishing me success on my vaping quest.

Amashiga, ahahha right? Some people can take a TH that will make others throw up ...I guess we are in that category of steel-coated throats :)

wv2win, I did find the seller I bought my product from right here on ECF so I hope what I bought will have the strong TH it claims of having. He's one of the most trusted seller so I'm sure the product will be top notch. The battery issue I didn't even consider but you bring up a very good point so next time I purchase a PV I will have to take that into consideration too.

For the time being I decided against cancelling the order and should get my package in the next few days so I'll give it a try. I guess my main concern right now is finding the right juice and trying vaping out for the very first time. If it works, even if only for 30mins I'll consider investing more money to make the transition from Newports to Vaping. ...if it doesn't work i.e. satisfy the craving for nicotine and TH) I'll have to stick with analogs for the time being.

Based on all the wonderful information I've been able to gather on here my next PV will probably have to be one of the following:

Provari

KGO

EVO VV

I will continue my research and see what else I can come up with.

Once my order arrives I will try it and report back whether the carton of Newport cigarettes on my desk looks half empty or half full. :)

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
if throat hit is what you want, definitely forgo the KR808s! when i was new to vaping, i bought a couple overpriced KR808 sets that were dissatisfying: producing little vapor, minimal throat hit, and awful flavor. i too was chasing the throat hit, as dunhill reds or marlboro red 100s were my analogs of choice. i say poke around these threads and maybe try an entry level variable voltage device--they have the potential to create massive plumes of vapor, great vapor warmth, and satisfying throat hit!

Chris77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Fishers, IN
OK, if ProVari is on your list- definitely get one. It's by far my favorite mod- I'm drippin' Boba's on it right now, and nothing else I have (KR8s, ReoMini, Ego-C, Ego-T, ...) even comes close.

The only disadvantage to the ProVari is that it's kinda big and not exactly something you can throw in a shirt pocket- plus you might get some funny looks from people vaping in public :)

Otherwise, it's a beauty - solid, excellent craftsmanship and the most versatile of all. If you can do a ProVari AND a kGo, that's a great way to go!

Thank you guys.

As I continue the research I am leaning toward buying the EVO 3V VV (not sure if all these Vs are necessary when talking about it, I guess V + 3V + VV makes 6V so they could have just called it E6VO and saved us all some time :) ).

It does look like the ProVari is a better unit but until I am sure I will stick to vaping I should probably be looking at baser models.

It appears that a lot of people are familiar with the EVO unit so I would like to find out where is a good place to purchase one. 310Vapers is the only place I could find it at but they happen to be out of stock. Has anyone purchased form any other vendors and if so how was the experience? 310Vapers does look like a good place ...and if their name is a true reflection of their location they are in my area :) ...but like I said, they are and have been out of stock this week.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread