BAD chemical taste in atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
Just wondering if anyone else has this problem regularly or has seen it. I've had 2 different 901b atomizers do this to me. I'll take a brand new atomizer and prime it, start puffing and it just produces the nastiest chemical burning taste. I'm thinking ok if I take a few puffs it'll go away... but it never does. If I refill I get a few decent tasting puffs, then right back to the strong chemical taste. It tastes toxic... dont' know if it is or not but I can't continue to inhale that mess, no telling what's in it if it tastes that bad. I'm not talking about your first few puffs on a new atomizer that aren't very good... I'm talking about a horrible strong chemical taste. If it had just happened to me once I coudl dismiss it, but I think this is potentially very unsafe, and is a serious manufacturing defect that needs to be addressed.

KentSP

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
South Africa
I had the same problem, I was running my atomizer off 4 AAA batteries. For the first 2 days it was making lots of smoke and tasted fine, then all of a sudden it got the chemical taste and it just kept coming back after a few puffs if I cleaned it out. Now I am using 3 batteries but the smoke is not that great but it tastes fine. It's like 3 batteries is too little and 4 is to much, still haven't tried your USB plan although that's what I started out doing.

efaglil

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2008
UK
lucisac?? They self clean... :p I don't know! :D

I've read somewhere on here that the self clean takes place (allegedly around the 1500 puff mark). I don't know the mechanics of it, just that it happens. I expect they're burning off all the cruddy eliquid between battery and atomiser.

I've got about six batteries on the go and rotate them. They've all decided to self clean within the past week. :cry: You can hear a sizzling sound and the LED light starts flashing. If you can unscrew the battery fast enough you're fine, if not you get that horrible chemically taste. I've got two atomisers lined up for a bath because of this.

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
I'm using a manual switch so there is no self cleaning cycle. It was not a used one, brand new one and it has had this problem since the first time I tried it.

As far as running 4 batteries, yes I can see why that would burn up your atomizer, it's too much voltage. If you're going to use AA or AAA it's best to only use 3. (that provides 3.6-4v to your atomizer).

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Every once in a while, you will get an atomizer that taste like a chemical plastic taste right from the get go. No matter of cleaning or liquid will get rid of the taste.

In the past 4-5 months, I think I have seen a total of about 5-6 ...

I must admit, the throat hit is intense on them though ... HAHA ... to bad it tastes sooo bad ...

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
Bastage, if I remember right the movie there were no additional electronic elements in the USB mod, apart from the switch. This means that u are supplying 5V instead of 3.6 to the athomizer.

That is NOT what is causing this problem. My battery pack supplies 4v, and my USB measured at 4.8. If I had a problem burning up atomizers at 4.8 I would have dropped it down and added that info to my tips and tricks post. I used my previous atomizer for a month on my USB and battery. After using the brand new one that tasted so bad, I switched to one of my other new ones, and it is working just fine as well.

Brian S

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008
I'm using a manual switch so there is no self cleaning cycle. It was not a used one, brand new one and it has had this problem since the first time I tried it.

As far as running 4 batteries, yes I can see why that would burn up your atomizer, it's too much voltage. If you're going to use AA or AAA it's best to only use 3. (that provides 3.6-4v to your atomizer).

Sounds like Janty and the dreaded plastic taste. I have narrowed that down to the little clear plastic caps on top of their carts. It seems that the e-juice is disolving them. I pulled the plastic cap off a Puresmoker cart and it feld dry and rubbery. Pull one of a Janty cart and it felt slimy and gooey and smelled jut like the nasty taste I was getting. Very difficult to get that taste out of the atomizer.

Brian

zaphod

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
That is NOT what is causing this problem. My battery pack supplies 4v, and my USB measured at 4.8. If I had a problem burning up atomizers at 4.8 I would have dropped it down and added that info to my tips and tricks post. I used my previous atomizer for a month on my USB and battery. After using the brand new one that tasted so bad, I switched to one of my other new ones, and it is working just fine as well.

Okay, I was just curious.. :)

pablodius

Feb 23, 2010
Chicago
I am using an Elektro brand e cig (i think its a kr808) and two of my cartomizers produce little to no vapor and have a TERRIBLE chemical taste. Any clues as to why? Any ideas where to buy GOOD QUALITY cartomizers that fit the KR808? The local tobacco shop sells 5 carts for 26 dollars!!! Way too expensive... especially when some of the carts are bad!

o CUBBY o

Dec 10, 2009
California
This is now a common issue. I myself have been hit with 7 of these foul things. This is not user error, and there is nothing you can do to rectify it. If you head to the Technical Issues section of the forum, you will find an extensive thread about this. This is basically what was determined by Sun Vaporer

"I bought ten 510 atomizers (I am not going to name the vendors–and it is not their fault anyway in my opinion, rather it is a manufacture issue). Of these ten, four of them emitted a foul taste as has been reported with so many 510 users. I used straight PG and cut VG to rule out e-liquid and drip smoked to rule out melting polyester batting right out of the box. (I have not used cartridges of any kind and only drip smoke for over a year now anyway).

Using stock 510 batteries, these four atomizers gave off a nasty burnt taste. After disassembly of two of the atomizers, I can preliminarily conclude that the nickel mesh bridge wicking is inferior and is burning instead of just heating.

There are only three components in an atomizer that could be subject to burn: (1) the coil; (2) the fiberglass wick that the coil surrounds; and (3) the nickel mesh bridge.

Upon disassembly of two of the four atomizers, I found the coils to be in tack and the fiberglass wick to have no discoloration. I removed the mesh, as I have done on so many other atomizers to find that the nickel mesh had a tinged blue and grey color and a slight burnt smell that also crumpled in upon manipulation. The mesh in most atomizers has no smell or discoloration and does not fall apart or crumple like this mesh.

With another of the four atomizers, I removed the nickel mesh bridge and drip smoked the atomizer with the coil in tact only to still have this foul taste. The taste would not dissipate even with removal of the visible wicking bridge. I can conclude that this removal of the bridge did not work simply because the metal wicking also goes under and around the visible part of the coil and can only be removed when the entire atomizer is disassembled.

I then disassembled one of the atomizers that did not emit any foul taste of the ten that I purchased only to find that there was no discoloration, smell, or crumpling of the nickel metal wicking material.

Bottom line---- four of the ten 510 atomizers that I purchased, employ an inferior mesh wicking bridge that burns and emits a foul taste, and that no cleaning of any kind can be done to abrogate the problem. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with user error as this metal wicking bridge is not suppose to burn or emit such a taste and needs to be rectified at the manufactures level.

As a Consumer, I can not say how wide spread the issue is, but I can say that I get reports of it every day.

Sun"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread