Kids skipping class to smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
Parents who are encouraging their already-addicted kids to vape are doing them a favor, in the long run. It's hard to quit smoking otherwise, especially in the middle of the normal/huge changes all teens are going through (whether they realize it or not).

This is probably splitting hairs to the extreme, but if you (or anyone) is involved in a vaping vs smoking discussion, I think it would be more accurate to say that cigs, pipes, RYO, snuff, etc are tobacco products, because they have tobacco in them. vaping, gum, patches could be perhaps considered tobacco by-products. They have nicotine but zero tobacco.

Unfortunately for most, nicotine has such a strong connection to tobacco, that in most un-informed minds, nicotine = evil.

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
I've never heard of a high school student being so addicted to cigarettes that they have to skip classes to smoke? That's definitely a new one! I smoked in high school as well but it was more of a "social" thing, when I was in/at a place where I could not smoke I never had issues/withdrawls or anything like that. I became a regular smoker when I turned 18 and got my own place.

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I've never heard of a high school student being so addicted to cigarettes that they have to skip classes to smoke? That's definitely a new one! I smoked in high school as well but it was more of a "social" thing, when I was in/at a place where I could not smoke I never had issues/withdrawls or anything like that. I became a regular smoker when I turned 18 and got my own place.

I was smoking like 1 pack and a half a day when i was 16. Id get all jittery in class without a cig. The few days i didnt cut i was holding a cigarette in my hand the whole class waiting for that bell to ring lol

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Not a Debate or an Opinion. Just something that Happened to me Related to Teaching and School.

-----

I teach at a college and Many of my students know that I am a former Smoker who now uses e-Cigarettes. I had a student two semesters ago ask if he could vape During class? I told him No.

He was polite but wanted to know what the reason was. I told him that our College has a No e-Cigarette use policy on campus Policy (Parking Lots and Cars is Fine) so it really wasn’t my decision to make.

I asked him if he could get through a Two Hour class without taking a hit of his e-Cigarette? He said “Yeah, But I think about it All the Time.” I asked him if he had his PV with him right now and he pulled out an eGo from his Shirt Pocket.

I told him that Maybe he wouldn’t think about it so much if he Didn’t carry his PV to class? I asked him try something. To leave his PV in his car when he came to my class and see if it helped. He kinda looked at me funny but said he would try it.

I never said anything else to him about it but for the next couple of weeks every time I would come into class I would look at him and Wink while I pointed at my Shirt Pocket. I think the rest of the class though I was Crazy.

On the day of the Mid-Term, the student said he wanted to talk with me after class. After all the exams were turned in he told me that he had been leaving his PV in his car when he was on campus. He said that he wasn’t constantly thinking about taking a Hit or Stealth Vaping much anymore. And that he could concentrate more not only on my class but All his classes. I told him that was Great because he was somewhat struggling with the course material in my class. (Some people just have a hard time with Math.)

He also said that he was starting to leave his PV in his car when he went to the Mall, to Movies and to Restaurants.

I didn’t talk much with him for the rest of the semester. When I did it was always about some Math Concepts.

About the last week of classes I was getting out of my car when I saw a Student running towards me waving their arms a shouting something. Trust me. A student Waving their Arms and Shouting is Seldom a Good Thing. But it was my student and he had this Big ....ty Grin on his face.

He told me that two days ago he got to campus and realized that he had left his PV at home. He said that he was going to drive home after his Chem class to get it. But after class he had gone to the Library to study Math and it was about a Hour into his studying until he realized that he still didn’t have his PV. He decided just to stay on campus and study Instead of going home for the PV. That this was the first time in a Year of vaping that he had Not Freaked Out or Rushed home to get his PV.

He went on to say that he didn’t Stealth Vape anymore and if he was busy doing something, that he could go for Hours before he “Needed” to take a Hit. He was so Animated and kept wanting to shake my hand.

He ended up getting a “C” in the class. But when I saw him the following semester he said he wanted a “B” but was OK with the Grade because he learned something Very Important. And it didn’t have Anything to do with Math.

---

Last edited:

twowings

ECF Veteran
This makes me so angry! If we SAY that nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine why don't we ACT accordingly? Are all of the caffeine products banned at school?

In order to BAN anything in the USA those wanting to ban it should be the ones that have to PROVE that it is unhealthy with SCIENTIFIC proof that it is unhealthy. You shouldn't have to prove a negative. You don't have to prove everyday that you AREN'T beating your spouse/children, someone has to prove that you are.

I want to join a class action lawsuit against one of these bans. I am soooo ticked off that the government of the supposedly most free place in the world to live can ban something without a shred of evidence that it is harmful.

IMHO, if you are encouraging your kid to vape by ignoring it/condoning it you should be prepared to fight for him should he be suspended. Unless you have banned all addictions in your home (ie chocolate, caffeine, etc...) nicotine is no more harmful for ANYONE than either of those products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread