Chantix lawsuits headed to court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- A federal judge in north Alabama has set dates for the first two trials to be held in thousands of civil lawsuits filed nationwide against pharmaceutical manufacturer Pfizer Inc. over Chantix, a drug to help people stop smoking.

"Pfizer stands by Chantix, which is an effective treatment option for adult smokers who want to quit, and has been approved in 100 countries and prescribed to 15 million smokers, including 8 million in the United States," according to a statement released in response to questions from The Birmingham News.

Federal judge sets dates for first two trials against Pfizer over Chantix stop-smoking drug | al.com

The FDA approved the drug for sale in May 2005.

In 2005, the number of adult smokers in the US was 45.1 million.
In 2010, the number of adult smokers in the US was 45.3 million.

At a purported annual death rate of 393,000, The 2005 number would have been reduced by 1,965,000 smokers.

45,100,000 Smoking Prevalence for 2005
- 1,965,000 Five years of dead smokers

What about new customers for cigarettes? We are told, "Each day, about 2,200 adults 18 years of age or older begin smoking on daily basis."
Medical Staff - Summa Western Reserve Hospital

365 * 5 years * 2200 = 4,015,000 New Smokers

+4,015,000 New Smokers joined the ranks
47,150,000 Total # smokers--If nobody quit
45,300,000 (subtract 2010 Adult Smoking Prevalence)
403,150 Total # who apparently did quit during that 5 year period

If only Chantix was used to achieve this, then the success rate equals 5%. 403,150 / 8,000,000

That's BEST CASE SCENARIO.

But what if some people did quit by using cold turkey, NRTs, or switched to e-cigarettes? Hmm... maybe Chantix isn't as effective as Pfizer would like us to believe it is.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Shame on you Vocalek, you forgot to add in the people who offed themselves or had a heart attack
while using Chantix. If you add in those numbers the quit rate starts looking pretty good.
Very funny ...

It might just be a coincidence :confused:
However, I can't remember seeing any Chantix commercials on TV in the last 24 hours.
Murphy's Law: When I hit the "submit reply" button...One will pop-up
:(

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
All of those poor people, fooled into thinking the drug companies had their best interests at heart. What a crime! I filed a complaint with the FDA over Chantix 5 years ago, I never recieved any response. However, I did loose two years of my life, on the brink of suicide due to that horrible drug. Just hearing the word "Chantix" sends chills up my spine and a black pit in my stomach to this day.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Hoo-boy! Having made sufficient numbers of smokers miserable, now Pfizer is moving on to drinkers. Ad seen today in a Washington DC Paper:

Do you drink alcohol? We are seeking men and women between the ages of 21 and 60 to study whether a medication for smoking cessation (CHANTIX) may affect drinking (NIH Study #08-AA0-0137)

Tanis143

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Broken Arrow, OK
www.tandp.us
Ending with with their Big Finish ... "Ask your Dr. if Chantix is right for you"
In other words (not our fault) "Don't sue us ... Sue your Doctor"

Yeah, I asked about it, and was given a pamphlet on Chantix then charged (without proper notification of fee's mind you) 65 bucks by my EX doctor for that information..... Never did take it, decided as a red head with anger issues as it is I didn't anything else :)

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
I took the pills and they did help me quit. I just never liked taking any pills no matter what they are, so I got a big head and thought I was done way too early. I fell off the wagon and I dont blame anyone but myself for that. Us vapors love the vape so much that we hate on any other quit method IMO. The pill did its job if u ask me and would have cost less. But I like the vape much more. Thats me being honest with myself. :vapor:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Hoo-boy! Having made sufficient numbers of smokers miserable, now Pfizer is moving on to drinkers. Ad seen today in a Washington DC Paper:

Do you drink alcohol? We are seeking men and women between the ages of 21 and 60 to study whether a medication for smoking cessation (CHANTIX) may affect drinking (NIH Study #08-AA0-0137)
Smoking cessation drug may help treat alcoholism
Article: Click Here

EDIT:
Pardon all the advertising links

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Chantix
With in two months I lost my job, my Wife kicked me out of the house, broke a bone in my wrist punching a wall and I almost commited suicide.

Smoked the whole time.

Good stuff.
Glad your still with us
On a positive note (pun intended)
You have a bright future writing country western songs
:)

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Chantix
With in two months I lost my job, my Wife kicked me out of the house, broke a bone in my wrist punching a wall and I almost commited suicide.

Smoked the whole time.

Good stuff.

Dang. What a terrible chain of events. Glad your still with us. If you ever need to talk or vent please let us know. Start a thread about it (if u havent already). I found the power of venting makes hard times easier in good company. :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread