New Zealand Researcher: Is Nicotine Getting a Bad Rap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
It's nice to see them finally realizing that nicotine isn't the magic bullet for smoking addiction. And the comment that lab rats always choose coke over nicotine kind of busts the favorite ANTZ claim that nicotine is more addictive than "H".

I do have to question something the researcher said, though.

How addictive is it?
Not very. There are almost no reports of people becoming hooked on nicotine replacement therapies, such as patches, gum or nasal sprays.

Except close to 40% of smokers who switch to the gum keep using it indefinitely, which would mean that for them, the nicotine itself is important.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
It's nice to see them finally realizing that nicotine isn't the magic bullet for smoking addiction. And the comment that lab rats always choose coke over nicotine kind of busts the favorite ANTZ claim that nicotine is more addictive than "H".

I do have to question something the researcher said, though.

Except close to 40% of smokers who switch to the gum keep using it indefinitely, which would mean that for them, the nicotine itself is important.

I think it might be important to differentiate between smokers who switch to NRTs continuing to use them versus non-smokers taking up the use of NRTs and, as a consequence, becoming "hooked." It could be argued that smokers who switch to long-term use of NRTs are not abusing the products. Smoking was abusing them, and now they have found a less hazardous way to take in the nicotine that they use as a form of self-medication.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
True, Elaine. I agree.

Other thoughts:
Unfortunately, I can just see them deciding nicotine ISN'T really addictive and searching for another "magic bullet" chemical to blame for "why ALL smokers smoke." What they need to get through their thick skulls is that different things in and about tobacco/smoking are "addictive" for different reasons. For some people it IS all about the nicotine, but as e-cigarette users are proving (and NRT failure has been for the past 20 years, but they blamed it on smokers being "weak-willed" instead), nicotine alone doesn't satisfy all smokers. This article is the closest I've seen to them coming to the realization that it's a combination of chemicals - but seems to still ignore the behavioral aspects. Some smokers may have well been nail biters or over-eaters if smoking never existed. Those would be the folks who take quickly to 0mg e-cigarettes - it's all about the behavior for them, not chemicals. Or folks like my husband, who gets all the tobacco chemicals he needs from snus, but still wants/needs the action of using an e-cigarette.

True, Elaine. I agree.

Other thoughts:
Unfortunately, I can just see them deciding nicotine ISN'T really addictive and searching for another "magic bullet" chemical to blame for "why ALL smokers smoke." What they need to get through their thick skulls is that different things in and about tobacco/smoking are "addictive" for different reasons. For some people it IS all about the nicotine, but as e-cigarette users are proving (and NRT failure has been for the past 20 years, but they blamed it on smokers being "weak-willed" instead), nicotine alone doesn't satisfy all smokers. This article is the closest I've seen to them coming to the realization that it's a combination of chemicals - but seems to still ignore the behavioral aspects. Some smokers may have well been nail biters or over-eaters if smoking never existed. Those would be the folks who take quickly to 0mg e-cigarettes - it's all about the behavior for them, not chemicals. Or folks like my husband, who gets all the tobacco chemicals he needs from snus, but still wants/needs the action of using an e-cigarette.

Because it points in a direction the ANTZ are unwilling to go (toward solutions to public health issues that are not owned/operated/regulated/taxed or otherwise controlled by their employer/sponsor), they are ignoring a lot of informative data about addiction from the studies that have already been done on e-cigs, snus, and dissolvables: Not the least of which is Dr. Eissenberg's finding that the amount e-cigs that did NOT deliver a significant amount of nicotine reduced the desire to smoke compares favorably with pharmaceutical nicotine replacement therapy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread