Not open for further replies.

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
Custom Wood mod ordering Here

For the sake of clarity and speed I created this thread specifically for custom orders.
Please confine all questions and instructions for your custom wood mod or desired purchase in this thread.

Talk about wood mods in the other thread, talk about YOUR custom wood mod in this one.
If you are just browsing the mods, or you want to purchase on that is currently on the website, please do not post in this thread.

Lewis's current wood inventory is always posted here:
http://www.gentrywoodturning.com/
Please check that before asking about a particular wood, if he does not have it and you have a source or saw it somewhere,. feel free to post the link here.

Custom wood mods CAN be made onto existing hardware so if you have a favorite PV already and want to "woodify" it, it can be done.

Places to look when deciding what wood to get:
1. http://www.gentrywoodturning.com/cms.php?id_cms=12
2. [url]http://reelseatblanks.com/category/47/rod_handle_blanks[/URL]
3. Google

You can supply the wood to Lewis or he will get it, either way.
If you are unsure of what a wood looks like google it at images.google.com just enter the wood name and you'll be able to get the idea of what the wood will look like a (although once Lewis is done with it it'll look out of this world)

Last edited:

whokrz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
ca
Other places to look for wood:
Game Call Blanks Products - Order Online Today
Bad Dogs Burl Source - Home Page
WoodHeadz - WoodHeadZ
Please be aware that not all burl is stabilized. A lot burl is not strong enough to be turned with out being stabilized. Vendors sell non stabilized woods for many other purposes so in your searches you will see it.
The only source I would not recommend for stabilized wood is Ebay. People try to stabilize wood at home which doesn't work well and turns the wood to junk. Some of these people sell this wood on ebay.

Units I can currently make:
Indulgence V3, XL3, XL3 mini, 14650 E-power and Go-go.
If it is not on the list but you can disassemble the battery tube I might be able to turn it. I require a tube that is straight, open on both ends and it can not have any holes on the side of the tube(buttons and displays)

Here is a list of the required size needed.
Tube, Cone and Tip
Indulgence V3- 1 1/2 x 6
XL3 - 1 3/8 x 6
XL3 Mini - 1 3/8 x 5
14650 E-power and GoGo - 1 1/4 x 5 1/2

Tube and Cone
Indulgence V3 1 1/2 x 5 1/2
XL3, (tube and cone) 1 3/8 x 5 1/4
XL3 Mini, (tube and cone) 1 3/8 x 4 1/4
14650 E-power and GoGo (tube and cone) 1 1/4 x 5

Tube
Indulgence V3 1 1/2 x 3 3/8
XL3 - 1 3/8 x 3 3/8
XL3 mini - 1 3/8 x 2 3/8
14650 E-power and GoGo 1 1/4 x 3 1/2

Non stabilized wood:
If the wood is not stabilized it needs to be dry. If I receive wood that is not dry I will not turn it. This will result in you waiting until the wood is dry enough to turn. This can be months. Stabilized is always ready to use.
Please be aware that not all burl is stabilized. A lot burl is not strong enough to be turned with out being stabilized.

Drip Tips:
The main requirements of your wood choice hinges around the drip tips as they match the cone and battery tube.
I would highly recommend using stabilized wood as this prevents swelling.
Wood species that I will not make drip tips out of because of safety reasons.
Avodire irritant, nose bleeds, internal bleeding, asthma
Cedar, Australian Red irritant, asthma, violent headache, giddiness, bronchitis, stomach cramps, NPC (rare)
Cedar, Western Red irritant, sensitizer, asthma, nervous system effects, NPC (rare)
Greenheart sensitizer, wheezing, splinters go septic, cardiac and intestinal disorders
Jacareuba irritant, fainting, insomnia, kidney damage
Makore irritant, nausea, headache, giddiness, nervous system and blood effects
Mansonia irritant, sensitizer, nausea, sneezing, headaches, nosebleeds, splinters go septic, asthma, giddiness, cardiac disorders
Milky Mangrove sap is poisonous, causes irritation to eyes and/or temporary blindness, headache, burning of throat, blistering of skin
Missanda irritant, headache, giddiness, nausea, disorders of bowels and stomach
Mulga(Acacia aneura) irritant, headache, nausea, wood contains a virulent poisonous principle used for spear heads by aboriginals
Opepe irritant, sensitizer, nervous system effects
Poison Walnut bark irritating to skin, dust may cause asthma, nausea, giddiness, sap is toxic and corrosive
Sassafras sensitizer, nausea, respiratory, direct toxin, NPC (rare)
Wenge irritant, sensitizer, splinters go septic, nervous system effects

Exposure is from the wood dust and oil. When these woods are stabilized I doubt there would be any issues. On top of that they are sealed in CA. But just the thought of someone getting sick from one of my mods turns my stomach. I want everyone to enjoy their mod and not wonder why they don't feel well. I really wish sassafras was not on the list I love that wood.

Everyone should also know that any wood can cause a allergic reaction to a very very small percentage of people. I listed the bad ones from what I have read. If you are exposed to the wood dust or oil and happen to be in the very very small percentage you may have symptoms such as rash, runny nose, congestion and sneezing. With wood that is sealed and stabilized you are not exposed to the wood, but I feel you should be aware anyways.
A larger list of woods. Wood Allergies and Toxicity | The Wood Database

Last edited:

whokrz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
ca
Wood mods I have made. I hope these will help people with their wood choices. This should give you better ideas of what the woods will look like. It is hard to tell from a blank.

IMG_3438a.JPG

The first LG mod on my first PV (riva 650mah)

IMG_3445a.JPG

Stabilized madrone burl

IMG_3444a.JPG

Stabilized redwood burl

IMG_3449.JPG

Top-left is a XL3 variable voltage 18650 in maple(1st XL3 I made which is still for sale)
Top-right is a XL3 mini VV 18350 in brown ebony
Center is E-power 14650 tube and cone in redwood burl (txtumbleweeds after the 1st 2 where bought minutes before he ordered)

EP14-004c.JPG

14650 e-power in redwood burl

XL3-002c.JPG

XL3 18650 VV in Tasmanian Eucalyptus Burl

XL3-003c.JPG

XL3 18650 VV in Box Elder Burl (Brown)

XL3-005b.JPG

XL3 18650 VV in Box Elder Burl (Black and Gold)

XL3-004a.JPG

XL3 18650 VV in Buckeye Burl (Brown) (I should have kept this one I really liked the eye.)

GOGO-001b.JPG

Go-Go in Box Elder Burl (burgundy) (actually turned out purple not sure why may camera got red)

XL3-006b.JPG

XL3 VV 18650 in Buckeye Burl(brown)

XL3m-002a.JPG

XL3 Mini VV 18350 in Bigleaf Maple Burl

XL3m-003b.JPG

XL3 Mini VV 18350 in Bigleaf Maple Burl(blue)

XL3m-004c.JPG

XL3 Mini VV 18350 in Bigleaf Maple Burl.(black/gold)

txtumbleweedindulgence.JPG

My first indulgence for Txtumbleweed in redwood burl.

IMG_3575.JPG

XL3 VV in Amboyna Burl

XL3m-005a.JPG

XL3mini in redwood burl.

XL3-008a.JPG

XL3 in redwood burl

XL3-009a.JPG

XL3 in Tasmanian sassafras burl

XL3m-006a.JPG

XL3 mini in bigleaf maple burl (blue)

Bayemon.JPG

Go-Go in Cocobolo (Bayemons preorder)

Last edited:

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
Looking to get the ball rolling on the custom blue burl E Power talked about in the wood thread. I see the 3 piece custom order pre-pay is like $150. I expected a custom order to be more expensive, but that is like double what I paid for the E Power 2 piece if that is the final price.

I made a mistake in your favor for that mod you purchased. I left out the cost of the cone. It was my mistake and I ate the cost on it. All basic PV wood mods done by Lewis are between 75 and 80, if it's a special wood, it may be more.
Adding on a cone is about 35.00 and a drip tip almost the same. These prices are subject to change, like when I decide Lewis isn't being paid enough (which is all the time)

The size of the items isn't much of a factor in the price in case anyone was wondering why a cone and drip tip cost so much. It's the time and labor involved. I do not expect Lewis to spend 3-4 hours on a cone and make $5.00 an hour, he can make that at 7-11, what he is getting now is seriously underpriced. The drip tip also takes a lot of time, it's not a simple matter of whittling it down and being done with it. Lewis can add more details on this if he wishes, but suffice to say his labor time is nearly the same on all three pieces. There is also my time, which is becoming increasingly sparse.

The base unit, you are paying for the PV AND the labor/wood costs and it's still too cheap, on the other pieces you are paying mostly for labor. If anyone thinks 60-70 dollars for 4-6 hours of work is too much for a craftsmen we shouldn't be talking :)

As I mentioned before I started this to have something unique and provide a service, I found an excellent craftsmen who is generous to a fault, doesn't like the idea of gouging a customer (just like me) but at the same time cannot give things away for free. Time isn't free, skill isn't free and running my store isn't free. It adds up and still we cut it back as far as we can.

Believe me, if this was just a wood box with wires in it, I'b feel really bad about charging this much, but as it's not, I feel the opposite, I feel like I should be charging more and giving the difference to Lewis. :)

Don't take this as being hostile or anything, I am just explaining the costs. :laugh:

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
Eric, I was not asking for anything for free.

I know.. didn't assume you were :)

I am simply trying to get a price on this thing. I know this is new territory, but the web site has changed daily. So forgive my confusion. I'll probably order it tomorrow.

Yea, it had to change, too many people were asking for wood mods, I can't keep sending Lewis information to order this and that without knowing if they are going to follow through. So now I have to require a prepurchase, if the price is lower it will be refunded, if not it will be billed.

Should have done it from the start, but the prices haven't changed. They just weren't set.

PV Unit 55-80 depending on PV (Go-gos are significantly cheaper)
Cone: 35 approximate
Drip tip: 30 approximate

This is what I am working from, if the costs end up being lower you'll get a refund.

Eric

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
I know.. didn't assume you were :)

Yea, it had to change, too many people were asking for wood mods, I can't keep sending Lewis information to order this and that without knowing if they are going to follow through. So now I have to require a prepurchase, if the price is lower it will be refunded, if not it will be billed.

Should have done it from the start, but the prices haven't changed. They just weren't set.

PV Unit 55-80 depending on PV (Go-gos are significantly cheaper)
Cone: 35 approximate
Drip tip: 30 approximate

This is what I am working from, if the costs end up being lower you'll get a refund.

Eric

Fair enough.

Order is in for the little lady's blue beauty.

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
Big Screed D: I owe you an apology, after being told about my comment to you in a different light, I was going to defend myself on it but then I actually stopped to re-read it and it came off as condecending and rude. I now can't believe I even wrote it...

Please forgive me. :blush:

It was not my intent, I am not generally like that. I could rattle off a list of silly excuses for my wording but I won't I just want to own up to it, it was in poor taste and not written well at all. Not at all becoming of a decent person.

I sincerely apologize.

I also made several other mistakes in that comment.
Lewis's labor charges, his role (he does not work for me in any way) that I "found" him (he came on the forum on his own) I solicited Joshua, not Lewis, Lewis showed off his work on the forum and I jumped at the chance to work with him. I also made a stupid comment about what Lewis should be paid, when it is Lewis that sets his prices, not me.

My intent there was to goad him into charging more for his work but it came off entirely the wrong way and it isn't my place.

The general pricing breakdown was mostly correct but explained in a very poor manner.

I am extremely embarrased in the way I conducted myself there and will do better in the future.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
No apology was needed, but thank you Eric.

I should have contacted you directly regarding pricing. I can also see where my query as to the price differential between my mod, and the custom order pre-pay process was poorly worded. Particularly in open forum.

Anywho, Lewis PM'd me, and has already order the wood. You guys ever sleep? Must be the only US vendor that can respond to Russian customers in real time during the day...in Russia!

gormly

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Connecticut USA
www.discountvapers.com
You guys ever sleep? Must be the only US vendor that can respond to Russian customers in real time during the day...in Russia!

Sometimes it doesn't seem like it. I think my body is rebelling :)

Last night I was going to call it a day at 10PM, LOL, didn't happen, Just as I was about to stop I got an email, had to respond, got another, then a few orders, a few more emails.. before you know it, it's 2AM!! Ack!

It's a "real job" work day today.. so up at 5AM

I've never been a sleeper though, seems to be a huge waste of life :)

whokrz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
ca
I can only make round items. The lathe just spins the wood. There is no metal inside the drip tip. It is sealed inside with CA though. The wood is pretty strong by its self, however if you drop it the tip may break. Txtumbleweed had his roll off of his bed and the tip broke. I like the idea of a metal tube inside the drip tip. This will add some strength to the tip. I think if it is dropped there will still be some damage but hopefully not as catastrophic as Txtumbleweed experienced.
I will ask eric if he can get his hands on some ce2 tubing.

Thank you for bringing this up it is a great idea :)

Last edited:

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
I can only make round items. The lathe just spins the wood. There is no metal inside the drip tip. It is sealed inside with CA though. The wood is pretty strong by its self, however if you drop it the tip may break. Txtumbleweed had his roll off of his bed and the tip broke. I like the idea of a metal tube inside the drip tip. This will add some strength to the tip. I think if it is dropped there will still be some damage but hopefully not as catastrophic as Txtumbleweed experienced.
I will ask eric if he can get his hands on some ce2 tubing.

Thank you for bringing this up it is a great idea :)

Thx Lewis. The old gal is going to have to just get used to round mouthpieces. Have no clue why she likes flat tips. I hate em.

Yeah, I had read Txtumbleweed dropped and broke his and that is what made me think if an inner tube.

You could also stock up on some 3/16" stainless brake line tubing that I would think should work well unless it's a little to large.
Brake Line Tubing 25' 3/16 Dia. w/Asst Fittings

Oh and at least Tx was not smoking in bed. Yet another reason vaping is better than smoking.:D

Last edited:

whokrz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
ca
With the stainless steel tube inside I think it might be visible on the top and bottom of the tip. I have been trying to think of a way to only have it visible on the bottom. I was thinking about drilling a smaller hole all of the way threw and then drilling a lager hole most of the way threw. I think this will work. Would you like the stainless tube for you custom order? I think it is best way to go but it might add some time to your order as I will have to get the tube and make a prototype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread