Colorado man sues after explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
This is the part I dont understand in that story --- " After buying the proper batteries from a (nonparty) RadioShack the next day, "Phillip Hahn was using the Prodigy energized by the Enercell batteries at his residence when the Enercell batteries inside the Prodigy suddenly and unexpectedly exploded," the complaint states."

Radio Shack & Enercell batts ?

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I don't see this guy winning anything. It clearly states on their site to use protected or safe chemistry cells. The guy choose to use the wrong batteries...that was HIS fault and not the fault of the mod or mod maker. Stupidity in not using the proper cells is the only thing that was faulty.

Last edited:

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
I went to the site and checked the mod kit, it shows that it comes with batteries and a charger, unless I missed something where the kit comes without?

I also checked the rs website and I'm not able to bring up any such batteries, unless he used a 're-chargeable' battery, nothing in a search on the site for enercell shows up for 3.7v, 1600mah, I may have missed something, but did quite a few different searches, by brand, size, etc.

It's never a good day for us to see something like this happen to anyone. I hope that anyone who is using anything but what is recommended for their apv is taking a serious second look at what could happen.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I'm guessing here, but as pointed out before I believe it was an attempt to save a buck or two. (I cannot know what was going through this person's head, but the following is an attempt to follow the logic.)

Hey honey, I can get this PV, but the batteries are a ripoff. I could just go down to Radio Shak and get any old battery that fits. I mean batteries are batteries, am I right?

Whatever honey, if you're going to the Shak then swing by Bed Bath & Beyond and pick up a new shower curtain with the money you saved us.

(The Shack closest to me is next to a BB&B. My wife love BB&B. I like RC, so maybe I'm projecting a bit here.)

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I wonder if he stacked 2 rcr123a in place of 1 17670??

Count...I've stacked Aw Lifepo4's for a long time in all my mods that can take them. I love HV vaping. I even stack in my V3.1. Never had any problems. He's trying to lay blame on the mod and not his stupidity for using the wrong cells. He really, IMO, can't even go after the battery manufacturer. The cells he used can't handle our hardware..too much stress. Please don't misunderstand me, I don't want to see anyone hurt. He should have done his homework on batteries.

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
I don't think there is blame for either, sadly sounds like user error in this case.

I'm afraid we're going to see this more and more, with so many new people jumping on board and buying PV's. There has to be a better way to clarify the dangers of using the wrong batteries to save a buck. The general public just doesn't have the knowledge we have over safe battery use. Before I started vaping, I was completely clueless as to how dangerous improper batteries were. it's sad but, but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread