Sweet Juice - Finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmvallee

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
Newport News, VA
The first e-cig I tried had a vanilla cartomizer. "Ahhh...dessert! wth no calories!" :D I thought. This will keep me from going back to analogs.

Ever since I switched to a 510, I have been searching for that sweet note.

I just purchased something called SPLENDEX, a pure sucralose powder that is an ingedient in Splenda. HIGHLY CONCENTRATED - 1/10 teaspoon equals 1 cup of sugar. Dissolves in plain room temperature water.

First experiment was mixing 1 ml VG, 10 drops distilled water, 1 ml vanilla butternut flavoring. Dipped a toothpick 1 inch deep in mixture, then dipped into Splendex, tapped off excess and mixed in. Tastes like dessert! (remember no nic in this - didn't want to waste it if this didn't work)

2nd Experiment:
Had about 2ml left of vanilla juice mixed up that was't right. I added TINY TINY TINY amount (about 1/2th the amount of what you'd get from a salt shaker in one shake).

Shake up and GOOD TO GO!!! FINALLY A VANILLA I CAN TASTE! :hubba:

Can't wait to try it on my watermelon, banana, etc etc.

Will be experimenting with adding to flavoring bottle first then mixing.

It remains to be seen how my attys react. Although I already do a thorough cleaning of my attys once a week in a sonic jewelry cleaner and alcohol. Hopefully that will be enough.

I bought 1/4 oz off Ebay for $3.95 plus shipping (total $7.90). More than enough to last several months.

You can also buy it here (albeit more expensive): splendex.net

I'll post more as I learn.

Last edited:

jmvallee

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
Newport News, VA
I haven't had much time to test this completely but I'm going to try this week.

Scottes:
Splenda in packets is DIFFERENT frm the Splendex I'm using. It has 2 additional ingredients besides sucralose. I wouldn't use it for that reason.

Dale.s:
Yes, sucralose is derived from sugar. However, I am willing to take a chance since
1) you only need a teeny teeny tiny amount
2) it dissolves completely like my powdered menthol crystals

I've made my own menthol drops from powdered menthol crystals & PG & that is what gave me the idea after I stumbled on sucralose info on the net. Plus all the flavorings folks (Lorann, Capella, etc) tout their products are flavor without sweetner.

I'm still loving my sweet vanilla butternut (no prob with my atty so far) and will start with some chocolate and mint choc chip when I have some down time this week.

jmvallee

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
Newport News, VA
So far I've checked 2 supermarkets and 2 pharmacies and haven't found any of the drops. Argh!

By the way, do you have any idea about the different types and which might be best to use? Stevia, splendex, anything?

Scottes

Let me repeat.... I would only use SPLENDEX powder as it is pure sucralose. All the products I looked at that you can buy at grocery/health food stores all have other ingredients in addition to sucralose.

The only place I found it was on the web.

jmvallee

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
Newport News, VA
Thanks JM. I did order some from a web site.

Would you please post what you think of it after you've "played" with it?
And how you mixed it?

I'm still searching for a measuring spoon smaller than 1/8 tsp. I know they make them but can't find them locally.

It's important to me to know exactly how much I used so I can replicate the receipe over and over. (that's a lesson I already learned...)

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Since this stuff is *so* sweet, and its so difficult to measure tiny amounts, my plan was to mix a batch of "Sweet PG" - one drop of Splendex with 1 ml of plain, no-nic PG, or something like that. Then, in any recipes I make, I can simply substitute 1 or 2 drops of Sweet PG for regular PG, or whatever it comes out to be. I'm sure that it will take some experimentation to get the "Sweet PG" correct, as well as how much of that to substitute in a recipe, but this seems to be the only way to accurately measure out such a powerful ingredient.

I ordered 1 ounce of liquid Splendex from this site:
Home

$10 for the ounce, PayPal enabled, and no shipping charge. It's $2 more than your purchase, but well worth it if it works out.

jmvallee

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
Newport News, VA
Since this stuff is *so* sweet, and its so difficult to measure tiny amounts, my plan was to mix a batch of "Sweet PG" - one drop of Splendex with 1 ml of plain, no-nic PG, or something like that. Then, in any recipes I make, I can simply substitute 1 or 2 drops of Sweet PG for regular PG, or whatever it comes out to be. I'm sure that it will take some experimentation to get the "Sweet PG" correct, as well as how much of that to substitute in a recipe, but this seems to be the only way to accurately measure out such a powerful ingredient.
Good idea!
Home

$10 for the ounce, PayPal enabled, and no shipping charge. It's $2 more than your purchase, but well worth it if it works out.

Thanks for the tip. I did not find out about the splendex.net site until AFTER I orderd off ebay :(

Zuxana

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm still searching for a measuring spoon smaller than 1/8 tsp. I know they make them but can't find them locally.

There is an item called a "grey dye spoon" that has a 1/16 measure on it. I use one for dying wool, and I got it from Pro chem. I would post a link, but since I just joined the forum, can't post it yet :p

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL

Home

Just ordered some, if it is 600X sweeter than surgar, then 1 drop would equal 600 drops of surgar. So I am thinking I put some over to a 10ml dropper bottle and use 1 drop for 10ml of ejuice and see what it is like. TeeHee can wait, I like surgar with my coffee!!!! Yay!
Dan

Zuxana

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I mixed up a batch today with VG, Watkins Vanilla, distilled water and a touch of stevia extract.

It came out VERY sweet, quite tasty, and stevia doesn't carmelize, nor does it have any calories.

If you try Stevia, please, please make sure it is pure stevia. The stuff you find in grocery stores has stevia plus other junk.

You will find pure stevia in health food stores :D

Technobob

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
St Catharines, Ontario
I mixed up a batch today with VG, Watkins Vanilla, distilled water and a touch of stevia extract.

It came out VERY sweet, quite tasty, and stevia doesn't carmelize, nor does it have any calories.

If you try Stevia, please, please make sure it is pure stevia. The stuff you find in grocery stores has stevia plus other junk.

You will find pure stevia in health food stores :D

What did you do to determine that it does not caramelize and is there a name brand I should look for in health stores.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
I ordered a bottle of Stevia, too. I tasted it - a drop directly on my tongue - and found it to be a little bitter. I'm going to stick to Splendex for now.

I have to wonder about Splendex's caramelization tendencies. I do not doubt IndyColtsfan, but the amount of Splendex in a bottle of e-juice should be so little that the caramelization should be minute. Yes, it could build up over time, but I don't intend to sweeten too many flavors, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem. For me.

Again, I don't doubt Indy. Use at your own risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread