China Lava knock-offs....junk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a mini lava knock-off and it's a piece of junk!
First the bottom knob cap came off (no big deal, little glue); next I noticed the 510 threads are tapered.
Everything I put in this device only grabs the bottom threads as it drops in most of the way.
This is a big issue, as it tipped over and now the brass threads are stripped.
3 months in and it's worthless.

/rant

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
I think the bottom cap is like that because it's a blowout plug so if the battery vented it would pop off..gluing it might not be a great idea unless you only used very little glue so it could still come off.

Hmm sounds like you got a bad 510 connector from the start..I've been using mine over a month and things screw in multiple turns..I know it is tapered before the threads. You might be able to run a thread tap lightly into it or they make a thing called a helicoil for repairing broken threads not sure if they sell them in that size.

If you can tap the threads you could stick an 510 eGo adapter or extension in there..maybe even glue it in there. If those don't work the connector might be able to be replaced..510 connectors don't cost much but it might be a pain getting the old one out without breaking wires..it's probably just pressed in there.

Before you try any of that you should check to see if it's still warrantied because some sites they come with a year warranty..but it might not be covered if you dropped it...

Good points, but I'm getting ready to disassemble it for further inspection.

I've always had issues with the center post connection, so I gentle pulled the top off and noticed only 1 wire was connected to the head. The hot wire going to the center post has a big ball of solder on the end and I don't see that it was ever really connected.
I was a electronic tech in the Marine Corps and this appears to be poorly constructed to be honest.
I gently pushed the top back down and I can hold a carto in place and it will fire.
This tells me it was a wire connecting issue all along.

I also didn't 'drop' it, I stood it up which I typically don't do and it fell over. I was never really crazy about brass threads anyways and my future devices will not have them either.

I will give the device credit as it did adjust voltage, but it was a $79 bad investment. Even though they are a lot cheaper now, I just wanted to let everyone know some of the issues that I have noticed.

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
So far I've bought 4 LT's. One of the first two was Tango Uniform because the on/off button was AFU. (seller promply replaced it) The other three have been performing flawlessly. (4 months now) I'm using them much more than my Buzz Pros. I use regular resistance cartos and rarely go above 10 watts, so the amp limit is meaningless to me. If you have backups and buy from a retailer with a 1 year waranty, you cannot go wrong. One year from now there will be something so much better....Things are progressing FAST.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread