TSA and the Ecig FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
Earlier today it was suggested that I make a FAQ about going through TSA checkpoints with a PV and after much deliberation, 30 seconds of thinking I am too lazy to do that, I have decided to write down a few things that I have noticed people worrying about.

First things first though, a little about me. I am an officer with TSA and work at the Orlando International Airport (MCO) and have been there for about a year and a half. I also worked for Virgin Atlantic Airways from 2001 till 2005 before I was laid off. I can answer most questions about going through security with your preferred method of vaping and/or your everyday items. If you have a question that is not covered in this FAQ feel free to ask me.

Can I bring my eliquid with me on the aircraft?
Yes you can with no problems as long as it is in a container that was commercially labelled at 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less or the container obviously could not hold more than that (I.E. the little bottles that come with Johnson Creek orders). Just please put it in a quart size clear plastic bag with your other liquids. If you do not have any you can ask someone when you get to the TSA checkpoint and they should be able to give you a ziplock bag.

Are there any problems with bringing my PV through TSA checkpoints?
None. They are not a prohibited item in any way shape or form. Though they do look rather ominous on the xray screen the most you will ever have to go through is to answer a couple of questions about what the device is as they go through your bag to see the item and/or run a test on the bag. If you want to completely avoid any interaction with the TSA officers I would suggest separating the battery from the atomizer and run it through the x-ray with your keys and other metal objects in your wallet. Keep in mind this does not hide it so they may stop the x-ray to take a look at it but it is not in a bag and therefore can just look in the container to see what it is.

What about my prodigy/GG/SD/etc?
Same as above. I think you may have less issue with those because the batteries would show up as batteries and not how the standard ecig shows on the x-ray but just like I said above if you want to avoid talking to an officer then separate the atomizer and run the whole thing separate from your bags.

I have a container of eliquid that is larger than 100ml what should I do with that?
Wrap it up tightly and very securely and put it in your checked bags. After seeing the bag room at MCO and how the equipment treats bags I would steer away from putting it in any case that relies on latches to close. The latches fail way more often than zippers do when they get hit by the "kickers". They are not called "kickers" because they gently nudge your bag, I have seen quite a few bags with latches get knocked and burst open spewing unmentionables all across the baggage area so please keep that in mind. That is also why you should never over stuff your suitcase.

what about my PCC? would that cause a problem?
Nope, none at all. It is nothing more than a battery box with some storage in it after all. I have not seen one on x-ray but I doubt it would look too bad.

What items are prohibited?
there is a list of items at TSA: Prohibited Items

Once again if you have any other questions feel free to ask me. I will add to this as I see more questions people have. These were just the questions that I came up with off the top of my head.

Last edited:

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
It feels weird having a post of mine stickied. My posts on other boards I go to are typically useless things put in just for the humor of it. Even the board that I am a moderator of lol. It is cool to actually be a contributing part of this forum though. If any of you are going to be flying through MCO feel free to send me a PM and we could meet up for a quick vape. Also I added my AIM name on here so if you have a question that you need a quicker response to feel free to send it there as I only check this site about once or twice a day usually.

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
I plan to keep adding things to this as I go. If anyone has a suggestion as to what should be on here or just a simple question feel free to post it up or pm it to me. That goes for you to WildJC, if you see anything that I missed let me know. I know the STSO's in MCO would find something;). It is nice to have a purpose other than random amusement for once.

Last edited:

WILDJC

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
New York
I plan to keep adding things to this as I go. If anyone has a suggestion as to what should be on here or just a simple question feel free to post it up or pm it to me. That goes for you to WildJC, if you see anything that I missed let me know. I know the STSO's in MCO would find something;). It is nice to have a purpose other than random amusement for once.

Yeah. If I hear anything on my side, I'll keep you posted. Keep up the good work!

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
I vape in the airport here in Orlando almost every day. I do it discretely as I dont want to cause an issue with the airport authority here. Look at local laws on vaping as a couple of states actually have some. If vaping is not allowed in nonsmoking areas then there is your answer. Though at the same time one of the best parts about the PV is its ability to be stealthy. You do not have to blow out vast quantities of vapor if you dont choose to.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I'm flying tomorrow to a conference, just wondering if anyone has vaped in an airport and whether it was allowed?

:confused:

As 13 says, be discreet. Just did OKC-IAD-PIT no problems vaped all the way. Today its PIT-ORD-OKC, I actually look forward to flights now that I vape. In the past I would worry if a connecting airport has a smoking room or if I had time to go outside past security for a quick smoke.

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
I asked the customer service personnel and they stated that they were allowed. My son visit's his mother every other weekend so I've been an exclusive vaper for 8 weeks (nine this coming Tuesday at about 9:00AM). I am a constant airport visitor due to this. I have not had any issues, a few time I saw TSA walking around looking in my general direction after I have a few vapes while playing a handheld NES emulator waiting for my son to come or go via the walkway, so I left it on my lap... and just ignored them, and took a vape when necessary.

However:
Some pilot saw me vaping through the window yesterday and apparently made a call and some flippy-trick asked the people who take the tickets if they saw someone smoking. I overheard the question about the smoking but I was using my electronic cigarette, and she, nor the ticket takers had even heard about these. She said "They said that it would st off the fire alarm" I asked "With water vapor, and who is they?" She stated the Airport Police. I told her I'd cease and desist, and did so. After my son was on the plane and gone I asked the people at the counter, they called down to verify and stated that as long that there was "no smoke" this was fine. Sounds like a lot of ignorance and mis-information is floating around. So I puffed a puff for them and left the airport since my sons flight had left the ground. (He'll be back Sunday, so I will continue with prodding the Customer Servix Personna then.)

I currently have an "question e-mail" into Southwest Airlines and I will be donating this info to the world when it arrives.
:evil:
Vaper Faux Life!

breakdown00

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Bonita Springs, Florida
can i carry my liquid on my carry on bag? obviously it would be in a ziplock as well i want to drip if i can even smoke, i dont really like messing with carts anymore, ill use them if i have to but u know

nevermind i just read here on the forums that american airlines prohibits vaping so w/e screw them imo

Last edited:

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
can i carry my liquid on my carry on bag? obviously it would be in a ziplock as well i want to drip if i can even smoke, i dont really like messing with carts anymore, ill use them if i have to but u know

nevermind i just read here on the forums that american airlines prohibits vaping so w/e screw them imo

I would link you to the faq but you are already here:lol:. the answer you seek though is yes. you can carry your liquid in your quart size plastic bag as long as you have no container labelled more than 3.4oz or 100ml.

Ghetto_Cowgirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
So I have the VK, if I was to travel to Australia (Not Queensland where it is banned I heard) how would I go about security? I assume any American security check point would be OK but what about the Australian check points? I ask because I haven't been back home in 4 years and I plan on trying to go next year and I would LOVE to be able to have my PV with me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread