Why would an atty start tasting like burnt plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgewise

Sep 17, 2009
Hey guys, first post, been lurking a few days since I got my Joye 510. Love it, but just about 10 minutes ago, the vapor started tasting like burnt plastic. There's a decent amount of juice in the cart, and drawing straight from the atty, I could really taste it. I dropped a couple drops into it directly and it still tastes bad. Plenty of vapor the entire time too. I switched atty's and it's better now, but I'm still curious as to why the first atty would start doing this.

thanks!

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
cart fibers - solution PTB

or

cart not aligned- solution- align the cart to the atty- the shape of the cart opening to the white ceramic part of the inside the atty- the part that glows red hott ( they are basicly the same shape - oval with flat sides in the 510 )

that way the heat dosen't melt the sides of your cart- the opening is over the heat!

edgewise

Sep 17, 2009
cart fibers - solution PTB

or

cart not aligned- solution- align the cart to the atty- the shape of the cart opening to the white ceramic part of the inside the atty- the part that glows red hott ( they are basicly the same shape - oval with flat sides in the 510 )

that way the heat dosen't melt the sides of your cart- the opening is over the heat!

what's PTB mean?

Also, if the cart isn't aligned, then the burnt plastic smell would be coming from a burnt cart or cart fibers? The cart appears normal in this case.

Joe81

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
USA
PTB = lipton Pyramid Tea Bags

ppl use them as filler, it gets less of that nasty taste u get from reusing the usual filler too much...easier to wash & reusable many times...u can find info with a forum search :)

update: maybe the nasty taste is from filler u reused too many times, or a mix of ur current flavor with previous flavor leaving bad after taste

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
One more thing. Now that this atty is tainted with burnt fibers, will it ever clear itself up? Will cleaning it with alcohol fix it, or is it shot?

Check the top of your cartridge (black edge) and see if it's melted a bit. And depending on if you just got your 510, you can get a nasty taste from the shipping fluid that is on the atomizer that keeps it from drying out. You can either soak the atomizer in alcohol like clear vodka for a 1/2 hour then blow it out both ends and that tends to lessen or does away with the nasty taste or you can vape it out by not inhaling until it goes away.

If it's not the shipping fluid, again check the cartridge top to see if that is melted. If the atomizer bridge is not centered it could be contacting the cart edge. You can take a toothpick and 'nudge' it toward the center but don't 'crank' on it. Usually when this happens (rarely) the metal mesh has moved off it's base a bit and a gentle pushing of it back in place can stop it from touching the top edge of the cart.

If there are hairs of the filler that is stuck to the atomizer you could pull them out with tweezers BUT these are the fine hairs of the filler not the more coarser threads of a material that is part of the bridge (the protrusion with the metal mesh in your atomizer) don't pull that material out.

Pyramid Tea Bag material is the same stuff that is the oem filler in the cart and while it is not as likely to get stuck on the bridge, it is still possible for it to come in contact with it and super heat it. I think it you're getting a 'plastic' taste it is most likely the bridge in contact with the top of the cartridge. If you're just getting a nasty taste it is likely the shipping fluid or you are out of juice and vaping air.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
A 510 can have small fibers put under the bridge area to aid in liquid absorption. If you vape the atomizer dry, it can singe those fibers and cause a bad taste. These are not from your cartridge, but are actually built in the metal bridge. Some say if you soak it in Everclear alcohol (don't use rubbing alcohol!) it can remove that bad burned taste. A few people have removed the fiber (you take a risk of your atomizer not working after you do it though, there are mixed reviews about doing this). Here are a few threads that discuss the singed wick and removing it (many of the pictures are long gone):

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/32241-510-truly-wretched-taste-fibers-around-atty.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cig-technical-issues/26148-i-know-why-510s-have-crap-but-they-work-better-without.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cig-technical-issues/1025-manufacturers-suppliers-whats-my-atomizer.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread