Anyone ever ask you "for a light"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MightyWhighty

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2011
San Jose
I vape ontop of my office's parking structure. The most common question people ask me is "hey, do you have a light?"

I vape a lavatube so it doesn't look anything like a cig, but I still get asked all the time for a lighter. I giggle a bit to myself when someone asks, but I suppose in some people's minds they think I ignite a pilot light or something to smoke my giant device.

I felt bad this one time because at the starbucks that I vape at in the mornings there is ALWAYS this homeless guy that hangs out there and asks me for money every single morning. He still approaches me asking for a cig thinking that I'm just being a doche about not giving him one.

I'm just curious to know if anyone has been asked that before.

rookbartley989

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2012
SoCal
The other day I was walking home from work using my 510 and some kid rode by and asked me for a smoke...I told him sorry I don't smoke dude! Today I was at a family function...everyone smokes...I was asked probably 15 times for a light lol. Upside though, since I bought a 510-T I have not used my Blu starter kit so I gave it to my father in law. He is going to start alternating that with his rollies as he promised himself he would try to quit when he turned 50. He seemed to like it and was very happy.

Ron -

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
i've had this issue constantly!
when i'm working outside my venue, people always ask for a light. i carry a lighter when i'm working outside cuz i kinda feel like a jerk being like "sorry, mine's built in." /puff
even when using my rev2, i'm always asked by someone for a light or a cigarette. i've had people actually get pretty irate when they ask for a smoke and i say i don't have any. even when i did smoke i rolled them when i needed them, so i never gave them out. in those cases though i just keep walking.

Trilly

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I got asked this morning for a light outside the train station (They politely asked me to refrain from vaping in the building as it looks like I'm smoking), I politely explained that it's a PV and there is no need for a lighter, the woman asked again so rather than explain I offered her the torch I keep in my bag, needless to say she went off in a huff.

I randomly got asked for a cigarette today while walking into my Dr's office. I don't know why this guy thought I would have one, unless he was just asking everyone he saw. I was vaping in my car, but I doubt he saw me as he was walking out of the building as I was walking in. Totally caught me off guard though. Lol I was like "I don't...have...cigarettes..." idk it just came out really awkwardly :D Just thought I'd share.

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
Lol I was like "I don't...have...cigarettes..." idk it just came out really awkwardly :D

when i started vaping that weirded me out to say too. and i think i kind of responded in a similar awkard manner. it felt so weird to say i didn't have any smokes at all, but felt kinda like a pat on my back at the same time.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I still carry a lighter. It's an old habit, and I had several lighters lying around when I quit smoking. They last a long time now, so I haven't needed to buy any since I quit.

Anyone that asks me for a light get a light, a business card from one of the local vape shops, and a short super-condensed "I quit smoking by using a high end e-cigarette" speech. :)

I carry cards for all the local vape shops. I give out several a day, almost every day. I'll be walking into a restraunt or office or whatever, and someone will be smoking outside, they get a card. I usually show them my lavatube/tank, take a puff so they can see the vape, and tell them "I was a heavy smoker for 30+ years, and didn't think I could quit. These things work great for anyone who wants to quit". I don't usually hang around - just give them the card and a super-quick explanation. They have to show a lot of interest right away to get more than that, else I just move on. I figure if they are interested, they'll call or visit the vape shop.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I had this happen to me for the first time tonight. I'm attending a conference in Las Vegas and there was a conference party. It was a pretty good party. :) I was heading back to my room and two women from the conference were walking behind me holding each other up and asked me for a light. I explained what I was donig and apologized.

Then a little further in my walk I was waiting for a tram and some very drunk youg people asked me if I was smoking well...you know. I was vaping a Reo mini.

Earlier in the evening when I was standing in the drink line I took a hit and the vapor drifted into the woman behind me. She acted like it was mustard gas. I asked her if she smelled anything and she said, "No. What is that?" After I explained, she thought it was cool.

I came in here Sunday afternoon and until tonight no one's batted an eye.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
In the case of that lady you asked about the smell, in my case she would have answered chocolate (which may actually not be good, chocolate smells pretty bad to some people).

There actually is chocolate in my juice too. I have had one person mention that it smelled like that but, they didn't mind. Most people that can smell it at all say it has a sweet smell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread