Way too much info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
If you smoked less than a pack a day and absolutely, positively must have an e-cig that looks like a cigarette, the Volt is probably the best of an otherwise very sorry lot. If you don't care as much about your e-cig looking like a cigarette, or especially if you smoked around 2 packs a day, you'll find that the kGo or e-Power are much better performers and you'll be far more likely to stay happy with them for longer. If you were a light smoker, go ahead and get the volt if you must. You can always use it for a backup when you tire of constantly switching and charging batteries. The main thing is not to get paralysis by analysis. You can't go too terribly wrong with either of those 3 options. Worst case scenario is that you get the volt, become dissatisfied with it, and have to spend another $50 on an upgrade. By then, you'll probably have saved that much not buying analogs.

OH, BTW, IIRC the Volt standard starter kit only comes with one battery. NEVER, EVER, EVER get a first kit that only has one battery. At the least, get the deluxe kit, or whatever it's called, with the spare battery. You want to be able to use one while the other is charging.

Last edited:

Alaricnj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2012
New Jersey
www.mgiannella.com
Welcome to ECF. I went with something similar as the Volt when i started but quickly got annoyed with the battery life of these guys. I'm not saying you'll have the same issue but from reading up it seems like a common scenario. I upgraded to the Kgo from Welcome to hoosier ecig supply - The Best E-cigs, Juices, and accesories

The price of the Volt is around the same, the difference is the size of the PV, so if your wanting something that looks kinda like a regular cigarette i would think the Volt should do you fine. However if the size of the PV isn't an issue then i would go with something with a little more battery life like the KGO. The KGO is kinda cigar size for a comparison, and the batteries last me all day and i use it a lot.

JAY73

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
CLEBURNE TX
For the best performance go with epower\kgo\ego i have the epower and am happy some like kgo's both are 3.7v 510 connections and with a smoktech 1.7ohm or boge 2.0ohm these just rock but for a good look at them in action look on you tube there are lots of great reviews for both good luck and remember..
love peace & chicken grease...

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Where are the best places/discounts to get the epower from?

Sweet-Vapes.com is an excellent vendor that carries both sizes of the e-Power, as well as the kGo.

Hoosierecigsupply.com is also a great vendor.

You'll neve find a juice that tastes just like what you used to smoke. You'll find, as most of us did, that what you smoked tastes like crap anyway. For now, get samples of about 5ml of as many different flavors as you can afford. After your taste buds start coming back, you'll probably find you prefer non-tobacco flavors anyway. Or, at least, you'll like tobacco flavors that don't taste like any cigarette in existence. A lot of people like that Ry4 or RY1 or Ry5 or whatever, so that might be a good place to start. But definitely get as many different flavors as you can.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Here's a good e-power 14650 kit. All you need is a box of 2.5ohm cartomizers, juice and a drip tip. It comes with 2 atomizers, so you can test your juice before you commit a cartomizer to a juice you might not even like.

14650 Black E-Power Kit

Or, there is an 18650 kit that uses larger batteries, but it is a lot bulkier and, IMO, not built as nicely.

Whichever you get, make sure you get the one with the replaceable switch. There are a few models out there without that feature and it's definitely worth having if the switch should ever give you any problems in the future.

Last edited:

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I am thinking about getting into an e-cig instead of Analog and there is way to much info to digest. I could read for hours and still not now everything.

I am looking at the Volt - Standard Starter Kit and the Ry4.

Is this a good place to start?

I have read some very positive words on the volt system from Smokeless Image. In fact I have recommended it to my sister. It seems to me like a very good starting point. Wish I had started there. They have the option of pkgs of cartomizers in various flavors to help you find your favorites. I haven't tried it personally but have read good reviews on their RY4.

I would pay the extra price for their 78mm batteries as they will last longer before having to recharge.

Good luck on your vaping journey and welcome to ECF

Phyre

Apr 11, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
I'd have to second what the others have said. If you are looking for an analog sized PV, then the Volt Standard starter kit is the way to go. I'd suggest getting one manual battery and one auto battery if you order the kit. I usually prefer the manual batts but sometimes I am working on something and need both hands, so the auto is very convenient. (or I just get lazy and don't want to push a button) Also, I would get some of their sampler carto packs so you can find what flavors suit you, then you can order the preflled cartos or order the liquid and refill your cartos you have.

On the other hand, if it doesn't have to be analog sized, then an eGo/Kgo/whateverelseGo would be a much better choice. The only thing is that there are so many options for this style and you will have to figure out what kind of setup works best for you whether it's using cartos, attys, tanks, clearos, etc... Everyone has their personal favorite setup.

If you do go with the Volt, you may eventually find that you are constantly charging batteries. If that is the case, I'd pick up one of the Volt X2 batteries. I started with a KR808 style kit and had a bunch of cartos (120+), but I got tired of having to constantly charge batteries several times a day, so I got an X2. I charge it once a day (or maybe twice if I'm vaping heavily).

Tiny

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Wisconsin
I haven't used a Volt but I have also heard good things about it.

You might want to grab a couple more juices when you buy, you never know how you're going take to the flavor. I like to think that if you get one each of fruit, candy, and tobacco, you'll find one you really like and explore on from there. Best of Luck and Take Care.

X-Files

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2012
Virginia
Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I am still trying to decide what I want.

I still am trying to straighten all the terminology out. (cartos, attys, tanks, clearos).

It looks like the larger ones are a little more complicated to work with. I don't think I will mind refilling the e-liquid. I have never seen any of the larger units.

bodrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Michigan
It becomes a whole lot less complicated once you get your hands on your first PV; then you'll have a better understanding what all the lingo means. Truly, in mid-March I was utterly baffled by most of these terms! Also YouTube was a lifesaver for me at first, there are instructional vids for just about everything e-cig-related on there.

I went straight from crappy disposables to a KGO and don't have experience with any other PVs (yet) but I definitely ditto the advice to get more than one type/flavour of juice. It can be a bit spendy at first trying to figure out what works for you, but I'm about six weeks into the journey, have quit smoking and am starting to get a handle on what I really like.

One mistake I made - ordering more juice flavours than cartomizers. Not really a big deal but if you dedicate a carto per flavor it's easier to keep them straight; I keep mixing mine up. I'm starting to see the wisdom of drip tips.

Also I enjoy the ritual of filling and topping off my cartos...I was always a hand-rolled cigarette type of girl so the hands-on part appeals to me. :)

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Sweet-Vapes.com is an excellent vendor that carries both sizes of the e-Power, as well as the kGo.

Hoosierecigsupply.com is also a great vendor.

You'll neve find a juice that tastes just like what you used to smoke. You'll find, as most of us did, that what you smoked tastes like crap anyway. For now, get samples of about 5ml of as many different flavors as you can afford. After your taste buds start coming back, you'll probably find you prefer non-tobacco flavors anyway. Or, at least, you'll like tobacco flavors that don't taste like any cigarette in existence. A lot of people like that Ry4 or RY1 or Ry5 or whatever, so that might be a good place to start. But definitely get as many different flavors as you can.
I purchased my E-Power 14650 from Hoosier in November. I believe he is out of stock on this right now, but it's worth checking. Hoosier also stocks the KGO which is also sweet PV, but I like being able to order batteries for $8 a pair for the E-Power 14650. Heck, I have six 14650 batteries that I charge up all at once on the weekend. Batts for the KGO and the 14650 have virtually the same performance specs.

CCV (Crystal Clear Vaping) has the E-Power 14650 in stock now, if you like his kit package. CCV lists this E-Power with a white LED switch with both low LR and 5-click safety functions.

My E-Power 14650s (I actually have two that I use and one as spare parts) have the blue LED switch with the low LR and 5-click safety from Hoosier. That's a great switch. If The new CCV switch is similar, that would be great, too.

When I purchased the E-Power 14650 I bought the basic kit with low LR switch for something like $42. The two additional E-Powers were purchased for less than $25 each from parts available from Hoosier.

thedigger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2012
Dunkirk, OH
I am using the Volt at this very moment. I got it one week ago today and I love it. I used a Mistic from Wal-mart for a while just to see what these things were about. Only two choices of flavor with it so I started looking around online. I spent the last month watching and reading reviews, not knowing what the hell any of it meant or what to try. I knew I wanted a cig size pv and almost got the Bloog, but the Volt is the same product from what I can tell and costs less. I love this thing! First, definitely get a kit with two batteries. If you go with the Volt I suggest the Pro kit. You get the choice of the slider pcc or the mega charger, I got the mega. Holds extra cartos and twice the internal battery life. Keeps me vaping all day. Their costumer service was top notch also. Had wrong battery sent to me and they replaced it in two days and told me to keep the other. And the flavors, at least tobacco sampler is awesome. I just ordered two 30ml bottles of their juice instead of guessing about someone else's. Another thing, both of the chargers have a slot for an assembled cig. Not sure about the slider pcc, but the mega will only hold assembled if it's the 65mm battery. You get that option when ordering the pro kit too, it's like a dollar more. I have been bragging this up to all my friends, I think it is awesome. It vapes like crazy, throat hit is very strong, I got 24mg nic though, flavors are amazing and the whole package looks and feels natural. I'm a newb, so I really want to help any others I can. I really like this and I think you will too if you want that cig feeling and look.

thedigger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2012
Dunkirk, OH
Volt has a light tobacco called Freedom. It comes in the smooth sampler pack of 5 cartos. I've been told getting a lower nicotine level lightens the throat hit. So maybe try a 12 or 6 strength. It has a nice smooth taste without a bunch of sweetness added to it like many others.
I am not sure of what to do about the flavors. There are so many company's and choices. I have just tried an NJoy regular, not impressed, and a friends Blu with cappuccino. I am not even sure I know what I am looking for in flavor. I have been pretty much an Ultra Light smoker for most of my smoking years.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I am still trying to decide what I want.

I still am trying to straighten all the terminology out. (cartos, attys, tanks, clearos).

It looks like the larger ones are a little more complicated to work with. I don't think I will mind refilling the e-liquid. I have never seen any of the larger units.

Terminology 101:

Atty. That's short for "atomizer". The atomizer is the piece that screws into the end of your e-cig. It contains the heating coil, maybe a wick and not much more. You can drip juice directly into it, through a "drip tip" (that's what dripping is), or there are gizmos that fit on the end of it to hold and deliver juice. One way or another, an atomizer is useless without some way of delivering juice to the coil inside. In the old days, there were "cartridges" that stuck into the end of an atomizer to hold juice and wick it down to the coil. That's mostly obsolete nowadays. Some systems, ego-T, 510-T, etc. have tried to resurrect this idea by calling them "tanks" and making special atomizers to fit these "tanks". Most are failures in operation.

Carto. Short for cartomizer. A cartomizer is a one-piece unit that performs the functions of a cartridge and an atomizer, hence the name Cart-o-Mizer. It is disposable, but can be cleaned and re-used if you have the time and patience. They've pretty much taken over the old two piece atomizer/cartridge combinations of days past.

Clearo: Short for clearomizer. A clearo is a cartomizer with a transparent body. Most, but not all, of them do not have the polyester batting or "filler" that's found in a traditional cartomizer, like a Boge. They have a coil inside and juice is wicked to the coil from a separate section that holds it loosely instead of in a soaked filler material. The lack of a filler material provides a cleaner taste. The reliance on wicking means it is more susceptible to "dry hits', which is when insufficient juice makes it up to the coil for a good hit. This happens mostly with thicker juices. Clearo's taste better, but they are less consistent and reliable than traditional cartos.

Tanks: Unlike the things that some manufacturers call tanks, but are really cartridges (see above), a tank simply holds a quantity of juice and a cartomizer with a hole is fitted inside of it. It is a way to keep a cartomizer wet with juice without having to top it off. Juice is held in the tank and enters the cartomizer through the hole in the cartomizer. Some tanks do not use cartomizers. Instead, they are like over-sized, refillable clearomizers. The juice is wicked from one part of the tank, up to the coil which is held in a cup near the top of the tank. Like a clearomizer, the lack of any filler material makes these taste cleaner. Also, like a clearomizer, they sometimes have issues, especially when they run low on juice, when the juice can't make it all the way to the coil at the top of the tank and produces a dry hit.

A larger e-cig, like the kGo, with a cartomizer on the end is no more complicated than a mini-cigarette with a cartridge on the end. Mini-cigarette makers call their cartomizers "cartridges" for marketing reasons, but they are really cartomizers because they are one piece and contain both the juice and the coil.

The only complication arises when you realize that, unlike a mini-cigarette, a larger unit allows you to put all kinds of other devices, like attys, clearos and tanks, on your e-cig. None of that is strictly necessary and you can get by fine just using regular old cartomizers and occasionally dripping juice into an atomizer in order to test it before you use it to fill a cartomizer.

At the end of the day, the only reason to get something that looks like a cigarette is psychological. They are subject to the laws of physics and the laws of physics dictate that they will not perform as well as an e-cig with a larger, more powerful battery. Also, when you become a vaper, you are no longer a smoker. Why would you want to look like one? If you don't want to be hassled by anti-smokers, approached by strangers for a light, asked if you have a "spare cigarette", etc., then don't vape something that looks like a cigarette. The larger units will not only perform far better, they will last longer, cost less, allow you to customize your vaping experience and save you untold hassle from people who can't stand the sight of someone smoking anything that looks like a cigarette, even if they know it's not one.

Last edited:

bebowebb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Oklahoma, USA
The Volt Pro starter kit is an excellent choice.

It comes with two batteries (your choice of 65 or 78mm, battery color, end cap color, and auto or manual), as well as your choice of one of two portable charging cases, and a package of your choice of cartos.

As others have said, you might consider starting with one auto and one manual so you can 'test the waters' and determine which battery style you like most.

If you were to chose Volt, you can check out the ECF Smokeless Image forum and the Faces of Volt thread for a free battery ;)

The PCC helps remove some of the worries about running a battery down while you're out of the house.

Since I started with my Volt Pro kit, I've ventured a little further and now primarily use my Volt X2 1300 manuals and clearos.

No matter what you choose - welcome to ECF and welcome to a more healthy way of life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread