Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Depends on a lot of things.
What voltage and resistance are you using?
What kind of cartomizer, atomizer or tank?
What flavors are they?
What is the VG % of the juice.

Some flavors get washed out if your carto or atty resistance is too low and your voltage is too high. When that happens, you'll get a lot of vapor, but it'll either taste burnt or tasteless or both.

Regular filled cartomizers tend to mute the taste as compared to clearomizers or direct dripping.

High VG juice will also mute flavors.

Some flavors, for example blueberry and peach, seem to be less powerful than they could be, at least IME.

What device are you using? If you're using a pre-filled carto on a mini-ecig, there's not much you can do about it.
If you're using a 3.4 or 3.7V device, you can screw on an atomizer and drip some juice directly onto the coil. Try something with at least 60-70% PG. If there's any flavor to be had, you'll get it then. For 3.4V, use a 1.5-2.0 ohm atty. For 3.7V, use 2.0 to 2.5ohms.

If your juice tastes better when you drip into an atomizer, then the problem is the carto you're using.
If it doesn't taste better, then the problem is the juice, or you're using the wrong resistance atomizer to test it with.

Last edited:

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
It could be that where you are buying your juice from just doesn't make the flavor percentages real strong. Some people prefer a strong flavor and others prefer a faint flavor to their juice. You will have to try other juices from other sites for awhile. Actually, at first it took me awhile to find the flavor I really loved to vape all day. I think finding good flavors you love is probably the hardest part of vaping and takes a little time at first. It took me two months of trying alot of different flavors. Now I just make my own and it's alot cheaper and only costs me about $2 a week in e-liquid.

rob5482

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
new york
Give it some time as well. Your taste buds are just starting to heal themselves. It may take a few weeks to really taste some juices but when you do it will be like WOW. Even eating now is like OMG. Things I liked b4 I have found I can't stand. And some things I would have barfed over I now find myself drooling for.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I am using an EGO C VV
with the regular tank it comes with
i put it at 4.2 V

Uh, oh. I've heard this problem before from Ego C users. Try dripping directly into the atomizer, bypassing the tank.
You might have to either scrap the tank idea completely, or start ordering "double flavor" juices if you can't find something more flavorful. MiamiMom is right though. Finding the right juice is the hardest part of all this. You might also crank down the voltage. With that particular juice, the tank might be having a hard time keeping up and some flavors get washed out at higher voltages. Try the 3.7 or 3.5 or whatever the next lowest setting is. You might not get as much vapor, but it might taste better.

akmedic

Apr 21, 2012
New Mexico
Took me about a month and alot of mail man stalking to find some flavors I really liked ended up with juices from Virgin Vapors and Highbrow. I had a hard time detecting flavors also so I just order my juice with extra flavoring from both vendors. Now its vaping bliss and my house smells like a bakery now after a few puffs. Had a friend come over and ask what I was baking told him nothing he even looked in the oven. lol

lazycomet

Apr 28, 2012
chapel hill nc
i've been vaping for 2 months and i've found i need to ask for extra flavor for any juices i order, and i'm using mostly all PG ones... keep trying til you find what you like!

since you're new to it, i'd suggest putting your VV at 3.7-4? that seems to be the standard, and therefore what most juice places are designing for? i have no idea, though... that's just what it seems like. good luck!

ThaSnibbla

Apr 24, 2012
Chico, Ca
Ya my first week i vaped a winston flavored juice. It was not enjoyable but it did the trick. Now that my taste buds have adjusted somewhat, that juice is in the trash. Im using an ego c and i found that no matter what i did i couldnt get a good flavor without priming 5-8 puffs. So i replaced the wick with a stainless mesh wick that i made up with some random parts. Just give it time and youll find a good juice and finally be able to taste what its really all about. Vaping bliss! Dragons blood(extra flavor) from ecblends mmmm mmmmm!

dogbertusceasar

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hi everyone,

I think I have had the same experience as juventino79, but worse! I have tried the following:
*stock atomizers, clearomizers, cartomizers and direct-drip.
*Juice from 100% PG to (nearly) 100% VG
*Flavors from fruit to tobacco to spicy to minty to coffee
*Juice brands from Rath to eSmokeyTreats to Ms T's
*e-cig models from cheap look-alikes to stock 510 to Silver Bullet mods
*tried pointing the vapor stream at different parts of my tongue

All this, and I have never actually tasted the vapor. I've smelled it, and with a good juice it smells awesome, but nothing that could ever be considered a "taste".

The only time I tasted it was when I overfilled a carto and got a mouthful of juice! :p

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I just assumed that everyone was calling the smell a taste as a matter of convention or due to the fact that "flavorings" are used to give it that aroma.

Could some of the other members chime in here: do you actually taste something, or is it scent alone???

Thanks! this would clear up matters for both of us I think!

Happy Vaping!

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
You're not doing anything wrong. Your taste buds are probably still dulled from your time as a smoker. After a while, they should start to pick up more. However, I've been off cigarettes for about two months, and I've noticed that you get more "flavor" when you exhale through the nose. But hey, that makes sense; smell is a big part of taste.

Strigoi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2010
Martinez, CA
that juice is in the trash. !

Never throw liquid away. What you hate, someone else might love and they'd be willing to trade for it. You can also send the liquid to the members that run the Pay it Forward group. They collect liquid and send it to those that aren't able to purchase their or get stuck without some. I sent a 500ml bottle of liquid I didn't like to the PiF group (the vendor suggested it when they sent me a new $120 bottle of liquid I would like for free). Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean that it wouldn't go to good use for someone that needs it. I just wanted to let you know that there are other options than just throwing perfectly good e-cig stuff away if it's not what you like. If it's going to go in the garbage, might as well see if someone could use it.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Most juices need to steep for a little while to develop flavor.You can cheat this a bit by microwaving a 30ml bottle of juice for 10 seconds but nothing beats letting them steep on their own for a couple of weeks in a cool dark place with the cap off.

Three VERY strong tasting juices Id recommend to anyone just starting off are Hype from Alien Visions (very strong peach taste with a hint of sweet melon and nice throat hit), Atomic Cinnacide from Tasty Vapors (tastes just like an atomic fireball but WILL crack poly tanks) and Vaporwolf from Vapor Gods for in-your-face over-the-top menthol flavor.

Doing a search on ECF for strongest flavor ejuice will find you more.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
There are a number of possible factors...

1) Many new vapors take awhile for the taste buds to recover before they can actually start tasting the flavors
2) Many juices need to "steep" before the full flavor profile kicks into gear
3) Certain types of cartomizers tend to mute the flavor for some people

One thing I would advise all new vapers is NEVER throw away ANY juice until you have had it for a month.
I can't tell you how many juices went from blah to awesome over the course of a month.

I very much regret getting rid of a lot of new juices early in my vaping career.
I can only imagine how many of them I might have really liked if I had given them more of a chance.

dogbertusceasar

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the feedback,

My sense of taste did improve dramatically after vaping for 6 mos. (I used to be a salt fiend, but now I don't need it, and a lot of foods started tasting better and more complex), but I was still unable to taste the vapor - I can taste even the tiniest amount of koolaid dust floating in the air, but not the concentrated vapor.

Even the Ms T's Grape that was almost too strong to vape and turned the heads of several heavy smokers telling me how good that smelled! (while they were actively smoking cigarettes BTW)

I wonder if some people, for whatever reason, are not capable of tasting the flavors in vapor form.

Well, I'm waiting for a shipment of juice from ECBlends (nearly all double-extra-flavoring), so hopefully I may get a taste sensation with these.

Wish me luck, and I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread