Exploding cigarette lighter could be cause of man's death (analogy with e-cig batteries)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Exploding cigarette lighter could be cause of man's death
Exploding cigarette lighter could be cause of man's death | digtriad.com-

Mike Siegel: Defective Electronic Cigarette Battery Injures One Person; Defective but Legal Cigarette Lighters Injure 1000 Per Year
http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2012/05/defective-electronic-cigarette-battery.html

I'm trying to locate the CPSC document (referenced in the news article) stating that cigarette lighters injure about 1000 people annually, as that could be useful for comparisons with the far fewer cases of exploding e-cig batteries. If anyone can find that CPSC document, please post.

The CPSC (US Consumer Product Safety Commission) regulates lighters, and here are links to two CPSC lighter regulations

CPSC regulation requiring child proof lighters
http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/regsumlighters.pdf

CPSC ASTM F400 - 10 Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Lighters
ASTM F400 - 10 Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Lighters

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Maybe when we write our senators asking them to remove the FDA deeming portion of the budget bill, we should ask them to encourage the Consumer Product Safety Commission to regulate e-cigarette hardware.

LOL!

I would be interested in knowing about how many cigarette lighters explode per year (documented source, I mean). Also, are those exploding lighters mods?:p

Last edited:

Wickedwench

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2012
Toledo
You really don't want the government testing ecigs. Always assuming our wonderful vendors want to keep happy uninjured clients.
Whether its the electrical safety of a mod or the full health effects of vaping, any testing to be done would have to be paid for by the manufacturer. No tests, no license. All the suppliers would have to shell out thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands or shut down operations permanently. How many vendors could afford it? How many could stay in business with no sales until all the tests come back, which could be years?
Its why I don't like BT getting into the vape business. It would now be in their interest to shut down all the Mom & Pop shops.
Its only paranoia if they aren't out to get you.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
You really don't want the government testing ecigs. Always assuming our wonderful vendors want to keep happy uninjured clients.
Whether its the electrical safety of a mod or the full health effects of vaping, any testing to be done would have to be paid for by the manufacturer. No tests, no license. All the suppliers would have to shell out thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands or shut down operations permanently. How many vendors could afford it? How many could stay in business with no sales until all the tests come back, which could be years?
Its why I don't like BT getting into the vape business. It would now be in their interest to shut down all the Mom & Pop shops.
Its only paranoia if they aren't out to get you.

Hardware testing and at least UL Certification involves a limited number of items ..

Many of us are all for liquid testing and labeling requirements ..

rookbartley989

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2012
SoCal
I need the FDA to require the chemical content of the materials used to make lighters and a complete list of warnings be placed on them. I think I may have gotten poisoned from one of my old lighters. I looked all over it and could not for the life of me find any sort of label warning me not to eat it, so it did! On the very first crunch it popped in my mouth and sprayed its contents down my throat causing an immediate nauseous feeling. Shortly after I was heating some milk on the stove to try and sooth my stomach and I accidentally passed gas and blew a hole through my shorts. If everyone vaped then we could do away with these dangerous lighters!

Ron -

BoiseMike

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Boise, ID USA
Maybe when we write our senators asking them to remove the FDA deeming portion of the budget bill, we should ask them to encourage the Consumer Product Safety Commission to regulate e-cigarette hardware.

I sure hope you're joking. The overabundance of government regulations created by unelected and unaccountable agencies is why some of us fret about what will happen to a life-saving industry. The feds need to back off and stick with ensuring freedom, not thinking of new ways to restrict it.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I sure hope you're joking. The overabundance of government regulations created by unelected and unaccountable agencies is why some of us fret about what will happen to a life-saving industry. The feds need to back off and stick with ensuring freedom, not thinking of new ways to restrict it.
This country is not addicted to oil
its addicted to the Nanny State

I heard on the news some time ago a commentator say
"There is an obesity problem in America and voters want
the government to do something about it."

No mention of Personal Responsibility

I almost fell out of my chair

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm trying to locate the CPSC document (referenced in the news article) stating that cigarette lighters injure about 1000 people annually, as that could be useful for comparisons with the far fewer cases of exploding e-cig batteries. If anyone can find that CPSC document, please post.
I think this is it...
http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/meetings/mtg08/lighters11_27.pdf

In testimony before the Commission on September 14, 2004, Rohit Khanna, the Project Leader for the lighter rulemaking, testified that there were a n estimated 2.2 deaths per billion lighters sold from malfunctioning lighters and a n estimated 1.1 injuries per million lighters sold from malfunctioning lighters. With the billion lighters sold each year, this equates to about 2 deaths each year and about 1000 injuries each year.

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I'm not seeing the 1000 injuries/year until really dialing up the wayback machine.

Back in 1985, the case for childsafe lighters had this generated: CPSC Initiates Rulemaking for Cigarette Lighters
"These fires resulted in 180 deaths, 1,150 injuries, and 84.5 million in property damage. Of these incidents, child play accounted for a very high proportion of the problem: an estimated 7,800 fires, 120 deaths, 860 injuries, and $60.5 million property damage."

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran

Actually, no I'm not joking. Please bear in mind that I am not talking about creating any new regulations. If the CPSC already regulates battery safety, then what vendors should be striving for is to meet those requirements.

This is the approach that the UK vendor group ECITA is taking across the board. They did a thorough search of existing laws and regulations in the UK that might apply to various aspects of e-cigarettes. These included battery safety requirements, hazardous chemical handling requirements, labeling requirements for hazardous chemicals, shipping requirements, sales and marketing requirements, etc. They then created a handbook that specifies these requirements and they work with members to create the appropriate set of paperwork to prove that they are meeting these requirements.

If we could accomplish the same thing in the US, and have the government accept this as adequate safety measures, then we would not have to worry about new regulations that the FDA might dream up that would reduce the effectiveness of PVs as an acceptable smoking replacement product. There are no existing regulations on the book that would limit the percent of nicotine or prohibit flavors.

BoiseMike

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Boise, ID USA
Actually, no I'm not joking. Please bear in mind that I am not talking about creating any new regulations. If the CPSC already regulates battery safety, then what vendors should be striving for is to meet those requirements.

This is the approach that the UK vendor group ECITA is taking across the board. They did a thorough search of existing laws and regulations in the UK that might apply to various aspects of e-cigarettes. These included battery safety requirements, hazardous chemical handling requirements, labeling requirements for hazardous chemicals, shipping requirements, sales and marketing requirements, etc. They then created a handbook that specifies these requirements and they work with members to create the appropriate set of paperwork to prove that they are meeting these requirements.

If we could accomplish the same thing in the US, and have the government accept this as adequate safety measures, then we would not have to worry about new regulations that the FDA might dream up that would reduce the effectiveness of PVs as an acceptable smoking replacement product. There are no existing regulations on the book that would limit the percent of nicotine or prohibit flavors.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. Applying some basic safety and labeling regulations that are already in place may not be such a bad thing. I should've known that you wouldn't be wanting even more regulations. Thanks for clarifying that.
Although I do think that regulations can just be a backdoor way to shut down businesses and activities that are "deemed" undesirable by the corrupt powers that run this country. Just look at what they're doing to tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread