Not open for further replies.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Faerie's Finest Extracts and Liquid Flavors

This list is color-coded and listed as to my assumptions of their being safe to use. I just pulled this list from their web page, and made educated guesses based on their listed ingredients. I am no expert on vaping, flavorings, or Faerie's Finest. Use this list as your own risk.

Note: The Excel spreadsheet (see below) lists the ingredients for each flavor, as listed on their web site.

Flavors marked in Green and "OK to use" contain natural flavorings and/or water and/or propylene glycol (PG)

Flavors marked in Orange and "Warning" contains one or more undesired ingredients, either alcohol or artificial coloring
Neither of these are truly bad, but some people say that e-juice with a lot of alcohol tastes bad,
and that e-juice with artificial coloring may shorten atomizer life. Use these at your own risk.

Flavors marked in Red and "Not Recommended" contains one or more undesired ingredients
Red items contain oil, which is said to seriously shorten the life of atomizers. Use at your own risk.
Vanilla Slurry contains ground vanilla beans. Great for ice cream, not for atomizers.

Web Site: faerie's finest - extracts and liquid flavors

Link to this list in Excel, which also contains the ingredients:
http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/faeriesfinest.xls

Almond: Oil-Based - Not Recommended

Amaretto: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Anise: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Apple: OK to use
Apricot: OK to use
Banana: OK to use
Black Walnut: OK to use
Blackberry: OK to use
Blueberry: OK to use
Butter: OK to use
Butter Pecan: OK to use
Butter Vanilla: Not Recommended - Contains Gum Tragacanth*
Butterscotch: OK to use
Caramel: Warning - Contains Alcohol and Coloring
Cherry: OK to use
Clear Cherry: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Chocolate: OK to use
Cinnamon: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Coconut: OK to use
Coffee: OK to use
Cola: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Crabapple: OK to use
Cranberry: OK to use
Cream Soda: OK to use
Creme de Cafe: OK to use
Double Mint: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
French Vanilla: OK to use
Ginger: OK to use
Grape: OK to use
Hazelnut: OK to use
Clear Hazelnut: OK to use
Huckleberry: OK to use
Key Lime: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Lavender: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Lemon: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Lemon Lime: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Lime: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Macadamia Nut: OK to use
Mandarin Orange: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Mango: OK to use
Maple: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Nutmeg: OK to use
Orange: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Peach: OK to use
Pecan: OK to use
Peppermint: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Pina Colada: OK to use
Pineapple: OK to use
Pistachio: OK to use
Pomegranate: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Pumpkin: OK to use
Raspberry: OK to use
Clear Raspberry: OK to use
Root Beer: OK to use
Rose: OK to use
Rum: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Rum Cream: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Spearmint: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Strawberry: OK to use
Clear Strawberry: OK to use
Tangerine: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Vanilla: Warning - Contains Alcohol
2x Vanilla Concentrate: Warning - Contains Alcohol
4x Vanilla Concentrate: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Vanilla Slurry: Not Recommended due to chunks of Vanilla bean
Double Strength Clear Vanilla: OK to use
Double Strength Vanilla: Contains caramel color
Wintergreen: OK to use

* Gum tragacanth
From Wikipedia:
Gum tragacanth is a viscous, odorless, tasteless, water-soluble mixture of polysccharides obtained from sap which is drained from the root of the plant and dried. The gum seeps from the plant in twisted ribbons or flakes which can be powdered. It absorbs water to become a gel, which can be stirred into a paste.
This doesn't sound like a good thing to vape, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Telmos
I have been using Faerie's Finest extracts for a few weeks now absolutely LOVE, love, love them:wub: To me, IMO, they're perfect for mxing They're verrrry strong, and will last for a long while. Each flavor tastes just like the flavor name says, ie. cherry tastes like cherry, peach like peach.

I have also used Almond flavor that has oils, and haven't had any problems, I also have several flavors containing alcohol and they taste and work great..

The one I am leary of is the Carmel flavor, it is the only one I ordered that lists "carmel color" in the ingredients. It is very, very dark brown, even after mixing it with Vg. I only made 2ml, it may lighten up if a person made a large mix, but for me, it's not worth the not knowing what it may to do inhales, I'm just use it for candy making, no loss. But I will put in a request for Carmel flavor with OUT coloring being added.

Last edited:

bigfatguy

Aug 19, 2009
columbus, ohio
Essential oils are common food additives. As for vaping them, I'm not sure of the effects, but these oils are highly volitile, and breathing them is rarely considered harmful as most are also used in aromatherapy.

I've also seen a number of people concerned about "caramel color" in ingredient lists. Caramel color is a very highly regulated food grade product (also the most commonly used food colorant). It is typically made from high dextrose corn syrup that has been heated to change its color. I would be more concerned about this gunking up an atomizer in high quantities; however this should be nothing that regular cleaning wouldn't clear up.

I, like a number of others on these forums, have been using oil based flavorings with no ill effects. The concentrated strength of the oils requires fewer drops, so the volume of the oil is comparatively small to the rest of the solution.

I'm not sure what the concerns over oils are, but it is regarded as gospel here on the forums that it is bad for your atomizer and bad for your health, however, I have never seen anyone cite specific sources that back up their concerns. (This information may exist...I just haven't stumbled across it yet.)

The smoke point of soybean oil (the oil most commonly used as the medium for these flavor/essential oils) is around 230 C (450 F), in various posts here others have shown (using math I couldn't do) that the usual operating temp of an atomizer running at 3.7 volts is around 100-150 C (212-300F).

Of course there are many other possible variables that may contribute to the notion that oil is bad, but I remain skeptical of the claims until I read data from a reliable source. The information I have seen leads me to believe the risks of small quantities of oil are low.

On the other hand, the mantra of "better safe than sorry" is probably never going to be bad advice, but I think that some of the supposed truths circulating concerning vaping are more akin to folk wisdom. We need the manufacturers and resellers of these products to invest in rigorous scientific studies based on how these substances are actually consumed by people using personal vaporizers to truly settle these matters. The industry needs to step up.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Good to know BFG.

Concerning the "oils" portion... If the smoke point of soybean oil is higher than the temperature of an atomizer, then the oils will remain behind, right? And oil is not water-soluble, so the oils will not be removed by simple cleaning methods of blowing and/or rinsing with hot water. Blowing will get all but a portion. It would then seem that a cleaning method involving alcohol would be the only way to completely clean out the oils from an atomizer. Correct?

Granted, the amount of actual oil is going to be quite small. But how much, really?

This is total guessing, talking out loud to myself, but... Let's assume that the essential oil contains only 25% oil, while the rest is actual flavoring. Since essential oils are usually strong, let's assume that they're mixed in at 10% of the final e-juice. Using these assumptions, the actual oil is now at 2.5% of the juice. Finally, let's assume that a person vapes 3ml of ejuice in a day, using a single atomizer. 1ml is about 20 drops, so 3ml is 60 drops, at 2.5% oil leaves 1.5 drops of oil hanging around the atomizer at the end of a day. Without any cleaning, after 2 or 3 days, that atomizer won't vape.

However, it would also be quite easy to blow that atomizer out once or twice a day, each time reducing the oil build-up to a very small amount. Yeah, it seems fairly easy to deal with oils in juices.

But... There are a lot of people far more experienced with vaping than I am, and several have recommended staying away from oils. I'll listen to that experience. I may not always follow it, but I'll listen.

So far, I haven't really found any desire to consider using an oil in any flavors I've contemplated so far. But if some blow-your-mind oil-based flavor comes along, there's no doubt that I'm going to use it. And if it costs me an atomizer a week, that's cheap compared to what analogs used to cost me. I could blow an atomizer a day and still save money.

However, until I know better, I'll still say what I said in the notes above, and pass on the wisdom of my elders. As you said, '...the mantra of "better safe than sorry" is probably never going to be bad advice...'

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I've used Faeries Finest Cinnamon and Double Mint, both listed as having oils. Something to keep in mind, these are extremely strong flavors, and don't take much to flavor your liquid. They are both listed on the bottle as "Pure Flavors, Alcohol, and Water". I see no separation in the liquid whatsoever.

Many people use flavors with oils (sparingly). As with anything with e-cigs, flavors, and liquid, you use them at your own risk. I can say though that I haven't had any ill effects health wise, or atomizer wise (even at 6V) using either of those flavors. YMMV.

When I first tried both of these flavors, I mixed up 20% flavoring and 80% e-liquid. They were way way way too strong.

Last edited:

bigfatguy

Aug 19, 2009
columbus, ohio
Great points. I don't know what happens to the oil as I vape. A quick bit of research found that oil can also evaporate (albiet more slowly due to the way hydrocarbon molecules tangle). So atleast some of the oil is vaporising, I would expect that some of it must be gumming up the works.

I'm a notoriously lazy ......., and only clean my atomizers (soaking them in alcohol) every couple of weeks...though I am only a moderate vaper. I do perscribe to dry running of my atomizers every few days to burn off anything that might be building up (though I've not noticed a decrease in performance...I just do this out of my own (probably misguided) folk wisdom understanding of the "burning off" theory :rolleyes:...)

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Actually, I wouldn't sticky the lists - too messy with a lot of stickied threads. I've been working on a list of great DIY Liquid threads, which will include the lists and things like Dan's E-Juice calculator and some good recipe threads... Hmmm, maybe I'll start a post asking for great threads, and then combine them all...

greenie

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Faerie's Finest Extracts and Liquid Flavors

This list is color-coded and listed as to my assumptions of their being safe to use. I just pulled this list from their web page, and made educated guesses based on their listed ingredients. I am no expert on vaping, flavorings, or Faerie's Finest. Use this list as your own risk.

Note: The Excel spreadsheet (see below) lists the ingredients for each flavor, as listed on their web site.

Flavors marked in Green and "OK to use" contain natural flavorings and/or water and/or propylene glycol (PG)

Flavors marked in Orange and "Warning" contains one or more undesired ingredients, either alcohol or artificial coloring
Neither of these are truly bad, but some people say that e-juice with a lot of alcohol tastes bad,
and that e-juice with artificial coloring may shorten atomizer life. Use these at your own risk.

Flavors marked in Red and "Not Recommended" contains one or more undesired ingredients
Red items contain oil, which is said to seriously shorten the life of atomizers. Use at your own risk.
Vanilla Slurry contains ground vanilla beans. Great for ice cream, not for atomizers.

Flavors marked in Red and "DANGEROUS" contain, or may contain, vanillin
Vanillin has been said to be very dangerous to vape. I can't find a reference to this, but I'm not taking a chance.
Cream Soda and French Vanilla are extremely likely to contain vanillin. Until I find out otherwise, they stay red.

Web Site: faerie's finest - extracts and liquid flavors

Link to this list in Excel, which also contains the ingredients:
http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/faeriesfinest.xls

Almond: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Amaretto: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Anise: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Apple: OK to use
Apricot: OK to use
Banana: OK to use
Black Walnut: OK to use
Blackberry: OK to use
Blueberry: OK to use
Butter: OK to use
Butter Pecan: OK to use
Butter Vanilla: Not Recommended - Contains Gum Tragacanth*
Butterscotch: OK to use
Caramel: Warning - Contains Alcohol and Coloring
Cherry: OK to use
Clear Cherry: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Chocolate: OK to use
Cinnamon: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Coconut: OK to use
Coffee: OK to use
Cola: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Crabapple: OK to use
Cranberry: OK to use
Cream Soda: DANGEROUS - May contain Vanillin
Creme de Cafe: OK to use
Double Mint: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
French Vanilla: DANGEROUS - May contain Vanillin
Ginger: OK to use
Grape: OK to use
Hazelnut: OK to use
Clear Hazelnut: OK to use
Huckleberry: OK to use
Key Lime: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Lavender: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Lemon: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Lemon Lime: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Lime: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Macadamia Nut: OK to use
Mandarin Orange: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Mango: OK to use
Maple: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Nutmeg: OK to use
Orange: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Peach: OK to use
Pecan: OK to use
Peppermint: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Pina Colada: OK to use
Pineapple: OK to use
Pistachio: OK to use
Pomegranate: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Pumpkin: OK to use
Raspberry: OK to use
Clear Raspberry: OK to use
Root Beer: OK to use
Rose: OK to use
Rum: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Rum Cream: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Spearmint: Oil-Based - Not Recommended
Strawberry: OK to use
Clear Strawberry: OK to use
Tangerine: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Vanilla: Warning - Contains Alcohol
2x Vanilla Concentrate: Warning - Contains Alcohol
4x Vanilla Concentrate: Warning - Contains Alcohol
Vanilla Slurry: Not Recommended due to chunks of Vanilla bean
Double Strength Clear Vanilla: DANGEROUS - May contain Vanillin
Double Strength Vanilla: DANGEROUS - May contain Vanillin
Wintergreen: OK to use

* Gum tragacanth
From Wikipedia:
This doesn't sound like a good thing to vape, IMHO.

Thanks for the work here.

cyb0rg

Jan 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
According to about.com "What's in a cigarette?", analog cigs contain gum tragacanth.

According to several MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) toxicity reports it's considered to be a "nuisance dust" while others say possible allergic reaction and irritation to the lungs and mucous membranes.

I am assuming these MSDS sheets are more concerned with pure chemicals (in this case, powder form) than small amounts.

Just for the record I am no expert, so I am not saying it is safe or unsafe.

Cheeseburgermonger

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
USA
They are fine...however be very careful with the dosage..they are very strong, and can dilute your VG or PG considerably, and "thin out" the liquid too much.
This in turn makes atomizers leak more.

So, at what percentage do you use them? I am aware tastes differ from person to person. I'm just trying to get a sort of baseline from which to work.

cyb0rg

Jan 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I tried a few of these flavors (about 8 of them) in 50% pg 50% vg mixes and I must say the Rum Creme was hands-down the best. It has been my daily vape for the last year.

After a couple of months the mix will lose its taste so I recommend mixing it as you use it (I did one 30ml bottle at a time). The flavoring is very strong, I only used maybe 10 drops per 30ml.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread