How long does it usually take someone to go from smoking to vaping to not doing either?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'm wondering where you read that stat... Personally, it took me about 2 weeks to go from a 40 year habit of over a pack a day habit to zero. AND....I've been completely off cigarettes now for almost two years. You should go read the "Success Stories" thread....you'll be encouraged. I've found it very easy to quit with vaping....after having tried many other methods for a long, long time. Good luck with your quitting. I was totally surprised at how easy it was.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-success-stories/

Last edited:

rookbartley989

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2012
SoCal
As for me...I loved smoking, and I mean LOVED it! People would tell me I am going to die young and my answer was maybe but it will be with a smile doing what I love to do! I tried a Blu kit and quit smoking that day...moved on to 510-T's and now an eGo. As far as I'm concerned though, I have no intention of quitting vaping. As stated I love to smoke and this now gives me a healthier way to do it for me, and my non smoking family. Win Win!

Ron -

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
As for me...I loved smoking, and I mean LOVED it! People would tell me I am going to die young and my answer was maybe but it will be with a smile doing what I love to do! I tried a Blu kit and quit smoking that day...moved on to 510-T's and now an eGo. As far as I'm concerned though, I have no intention of quitting vaping. As stated I love to smoke and this now gives me a healthier way to do it for me, and my non smoking family. Win Win!

Ron -

I agree with Ron....I LOVED smoking, but hated the $$$$, and the harm to my health. I feel great now and I've saved enough money to (practically) buy a car! I have absolutely NO intentions of quitting vaping...ever. I just switched from smoking to vaping.

tonyhix11

Verified Member
Oct 27, 2011
Dallas
I agree with JC. I found it to be a fairly easy transition. I think the key is to find a good PV to start with, and a dependable all day juice that you are happy with, something that will tide you over until you no longer feel the need to smoke. Then you can experiment a little more. It took me about 2 weeks as well to be completely off analogs. I wish you the best and hope for you success!!

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
The day my ego-W kit arrived, I went from a PAD habit down to 0. Okay... I finished the last 3 cigs in the pack over the space of a week, but the last one really tasted nasty. I had one last pack from the carton that sat around for almost 2 months before I finally tossed it in the trash.

I did make sure to start with a high enough nic level (36mg) to get me off the Marlboros. I will eventually taper my nic level down, but I doubt I'll stop vaping. Because I: a) enjoy it; and b) enjoy it.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
My plan is to eventually quit smoking and vaping all together. How long does that usually take?
When it comes to vaping, there is no "usually" whatsoever.

First of all, switching from smoking to vaping can take anywhere from 30 seconds to one year.
And secondly, most vapers don't want to quit vaping just like they really didn't want to quit smoking.

As far as the vapers that wanted to quit vaping, it's hard to say how long it took them because we rarely hear from them.
Once they quit vaping they are usually gone and don't really post a goodbye.

So I guess my answer is that switching from smoking to vaping will take however long it takes.
And quitting vaping will take however long it takes.

Do you have some sort of timeframe in mind?

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I smoked 1 PAD VERY STRONG tobacco for 40+ yrs. Began vaping Sept, 2011 at 36 mg nicotine and am now down to 8 mg. My game plan is quit completely by Sept, 2012. Just my personal goal/ preference and I don't knock anyone that is not doing the same. One more point...if I don't achieve my goal by Sept. it's no big deal...I have goals but they're not set in stone cuz who needs the pressure.
Cheers.

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
That depends on your definition of quit. If you mean stopping the use of cigarettes, and vaping entirely, yeah I can believe the success rates are that low. But....why should we not celebrate quitting cigarettes, even if the majority of us continue to vape the rest of our lives? I'd say ecigs are a pretty good means to significantly lower your risk of smoke related illnesses. And then there are the Zero nic users, which kind of defy the concept of either category. Did they "quit" even though they're still vaping? Are they still considered "users" even though they use no nicotine?

Like I said, it depends on your definition. I suspect the skeptics (and those who seem to have such a problem with vaping....idk why) do their very best to make the scenario sound as bad as possible. Even if, by your personal definition, the quit rate is only 30%, compare that to other sorts of quit methods.....and it'll start to sound pretty good in terms of success.

Then again, ecigs aren't really stop smoking devices, and are certainly not marketed as such. They're more like harm reduction devices. They're meant to withdraw you from cigarettes, but not necessarily nicotine. And even with ecigs, it's not a magical road to quitting tobacco. Will power and desire to quit factors into it. If someone really really wants to keep smoking, and only tried ecigs to get the proverbial monkey off their back, they don't stand nearly the chance of success as someone who is really committed to giving up tobacco.

That's my two cents.

arcturus

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
San Diego
I can only speak for myself and anecdotal evidence being what it is, it cannot be taken as absolute proof. Nonetheless, these anecdotes are still powerful enough to convince me that the rate of quitting smoked tobacco is much higher than 30%. I suspect that it's above 80%. I quit the same day I started vaping, without even bothering to finish my last, half-full pack of cigarettes.

HowlingBadger

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2012
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Like everybody else has said, times differ between people dramatically. Some people give up cigs the day they get their first pv, others take up to a year. What's important is that you try to think of it as switching rather than quitting. Slowly make the transition and eventually you'll find that youre reaching for your pv rather than a cigarette. As for quitting vaping entirely, I don't think there are many that do. I'm sure it's possible, but I haven't personally heard of any. As long as you keep at it and really focus on your goal I'm sure you'll get there eventually.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I don't know. ECF seems to promote vaping as a long-term solution to smoking with vapers embarking on a permanent progression of increasingly sophisticated and expensive e-cigarettes that deliver more and more nicotine. That's a good business model for vaping vendors but I'm not convinced it's the healthiest path for ex-smokers.

I plan on about 2-3 years to make the transition from full-time smoking to full-time vaping to non-smoker & non-vaper. Good fortune willing.

Last edited:

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
How many people have successfully made the switch from cigs to PV's....ALOT. How many people have successfully gone to 0 nicotine...quite a few, but there are so many here that don't care whether they get off the nicotine, it's hard to tell. I for one am in this ball park, as I'm hanging somewhere between 5-3 mg's of nico and going down to 0 soon. How many people have gone from 0 nico to stopping vaping.....no way to know since they don't come here anymore.
I originally thought I'd vape for awhile, until I got off the nicotine and then stop vaping. But now that I'm into vaping, I'm really enjoying it....so I may or may not stop vaping. But it isn't because I couldn't, but more I just don't want to. I'm loving the flavors!! And it's a great stress reliever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread