Status
Not open for further replies.

iKN0WaGH0ST

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
Northern Virginia
I've been searching and searching for the best atomizer to use with a bottom feeder. My first bottom feeder is arriving at my house on Saturday. I've heard many things about the cisco 306, hh.357, etc etc, but I want to know your opinion. Should the atomizer be bridgeless? I am going to be using this on a old goat mod (3.7v) so I'll need LR. I like to have a good throat hit, but I would rather have a nice full flavor than a good throat hit.

What should I look into?

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I'm really fond of Cisco attys from avid vaper. I often used a 1.8 ohm Cisco 510 on my old goat.

The 306 is also a good choice. 306's tend to produce extraordinary amounts of vapor but flavor quality is highly juice dependent. Some juices flavors just don't "come through" with the 306. (I'm sure some will agree with that and some won't - just my opinion).

The hh357 is a spectacular atty. Vapor production and flavor reproduction are both top-notch. A lot of people do like them on their bottom feeders... Not me though. I have an hh357 on my top feeder and I couldn't be happier, but I struggled with it a little on my bottom feeder. Even the slightest bit of over-feeding makes the hh357 'spitty'. I consider myself to be an expert with my feeders and at least twice a day I would over-squonk just a little and end up with juice in my mouth. -- I have not tried a long barrel hh357 and maybe it would be better in that situation.

So, none of that really helps you make a decision, I suppose since all I did was sing the praises of the three items you mentioned. - If it were me, I think I'd go with the Cisco 510 LR atty for the Old Goat (in fact, I did use one on mine for a long time - and I was also really fond of 1.8 ohm boge cartos on it).

adami

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
usa
AVAs are now available with open connectors. They seem to work best with a high VG content. I just got mine yesterday and while I'm not using it on a bottom-feeder (in fact mine doesn't have an open connector) it's a pretty amazing little piece. I doubt it's possible to get flavor as clean as the AVAs without similar technology -- as far as I know the AVA is the only ceramic atomizer. Dry hits aren't intense, horrible experiences which is something I appreciate. After the first day vapor production has picked up and it's performing like I want it to, nice full hits. I believe LRs are around 2 ohms, SR is around 3.3, and I'm not sure about the HR but it's probably around 5 ohms.

Last edited:

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica
AVAs are now available with open connectors. They seem to work best with a high VG content. I just got mine yesterday and while I'm not using it on a bottom-feeder (in fact mine doesn't have an open connector) it's a pretty amazing little piece. I doubt it's possible to get flavor as clean as the AVAs without similar technology -- as far as I know the AVA is the only ceramic atomizer. Dry hits aren't intense, horrible experiences which is something I appreciate. After the first day vapor production has picked up and it's performing like I want it to, nice full hits. I believe LRs are around 2 ohms, SR is around 3.3, and I'm not sure about the HR but it's probably around 5 ohms.
Where are you seeing AVA with open connectors? They are pricy are they worth it. Use cisco 306 3.5 ohm. They are amazing.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
On a 3.7v device my Cisco spec LR306 1.5ohm runs circles around any other atty's i've tried to date.... Yes, I have the Aero, HH357, Bauway's, Genuine Joye's, and a few others.... My only suggestion would be you add a drip shield to your set up with them though.... This is what works best for me but YMMV.....

Honkey Kong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
Scranton, PA USA
I have an Old Goat 3.7V with an LR 1.5 Ohm Joye 306. The Vaopr it makes is huge, but my Flavor does not seem to really shine on it. That is with MtBakerVapor house blend 80PG 20VG. I put it directly on a 2.2 Ohm Ego Atty (the type that comes with their Tank set-up) and the same plumes of Vapor plus the flavor is there. Same thing with whatever Atties I got with the new LavaTube (2.7 Ohm) and in Cartos (Boge LR and Smoktech Resurrectors). Joye 306's just do not seem to give up the flavor?

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica

adami

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
usa
Cool there are stocked. A little tricky to find but they are here. Any news is they are going to do 306 style? How long do they last. Have a discount code?

Not sure how long they last (I've had mine since Saturday), but there's plenty of reason to think they'll be significantly more durable than a conventional atomizer since the coil is stabilized and protected by ceramic. There's no general discount code that I'm aware of for ThermoVape but the AVAs are priced the same there as the post-coupon prices at other vendors.

I don't think they've got plans for a 306 style housing. If you're willing to pay they've said they'll do custom work. Of course, you're looking at bespoke engineering rates at that point. They manufacture every component in-house w/ US-sourced materials so I'm sure they could do it.

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica
Not sure how long they last (I've had mine since Saturday), but there's plenty of reason to think they'll be significantly more durable than a conventional atomizer since the coil is stabilized and protected by ceramic. There's no general discount code that I'm aware of for ThermoVape but the AVAs are priced the same there as the post-coupon prices at other vendors.

I don't think they've got plans for a 306 style housing. If you're willing to pay they've said they'll do custom work. Of course, you're looking at bespoke engineering rates at that point. They manufacture every component in-house w/ US-sourced materials so I'm sure they could do it.
40 bucks for an atty is enough for me. :p I just heard back from them. They said "The AVA-SR atomizers are about 2.9 ohms, and the AVA-HR's are about 3.9 ohms. The AVA atomizers are built to last, there are a few around the shop that have been getting daily use for upwards of 6 months without any degradation. We are currently only going to focus on the 510 atomizers." Tell me how it is treating you and if it is worth it. If they really last 6 months and have crazy flavor and vaper they might be worth it. Do you use a ultrasonic to clean it? or is that bad for ceramic atties?

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I have caught the HH bug. They do destroy anything else IMHO. I was using EmpireMods 1.8 510s and some 3 ohm 306s, but then I got the HH. I just ordered 2 more and this time I'm trying the long barrells. I have been waiting on the AVAs. I am curious how the juice gets thru the ceramic on the new open post. It must have a hole?

adami

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
usa
40 bucks for an atty is enough for me. :p I just heard back from them. They said "The AVA-SR atomizers are about 2.9 ohms, and the AVA-HR's are about 3.9 ohms. The AVA atomizers are built to last, there are a few around the shop that have been getting daily use for upwards of 6 months without any degradation. We are currently only going to focus on the 510 atomizers." Tell me how it is treating you and if it is worth it. If they really last 6 months and have crazy flavor and vaper they might be worth it. Do you use a ultrasonic to clean it? or is that bad for ceramic atties?

I doubt it's possible to get better flavor out of a conventional atomizer. It's crisp, clean, and you only taste what's in the juice. That being said, I vape unflavored almost exclusively and while I can tell the difference from a Cisco spec atomizer your mileage may vary. I haven't got an HH.357 but I'm sure they provide exceptionally high performance. The AVA is a different beast that excels by being different than a conventional atomizer.

Vapor production was a bit low when I first got it. I think most of that is due to break-in but I was finishing off a PG heavy bottle and I'm using a heavy VG mix now. VG is recommended for AVAs. Currently I'm getting lots of thick vapor until the atomizer starts getting dry. When flooded vapor production drops like normal. It's not as quick to produce vapor as my Ciscos at the same wattage but I have been able to get a few fast & short draws with great vapor so that may be a technique issue.

The draw is on the stiff side but I wouldn't call it heavy. I am using it behind an empire drip shield which adds a little drag.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner that I got early in my vaping career but personally I found it didn't do any better than an alcohol soak/flush and it annoyed my dogs so I don't use it anymore. The recommended cleaning method is to boil for 10 minutes, flush with warm/hot water, and boil again.

My AVA SR meters to 3.3 ohms on my ProVari which is quite a bit more than 2.9. I'm under the impression that they test the coils under specific conditions to a certain current draw and don't test resistance directly.

I'd started using 901s before I got the AVA and was having problems with dry hits. Even though I could hear juice in the atomizer I'd end up getting a couple surprises a day. Dry hits on the AVA usually just means weak vapor and the worst case is about as bad as the best case of a dry hit on a Cisco 901. I don't remember having as many problems with 510/306s and the HH.357 probably isn't bad in this respect but it's something to consider.

All in all, the AVA is different from any other atomizer. Because of this it has some strengths that will be hard to match with a more conventional design. It's not a magical panacea and you may find you prefer something different. There's a lot of promise to the design and I think it'll stick around. Is it worth the price? So far I believe so. If it lasts six months or more it's a no-brainer and that sounds like a realistic outcome.

TheSneakerHoarder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
DFW
I have caught the HH bug. They do destroy anything else IMHO. I was using EmpireMods 1.8 510s and some 3 ohm 306s, but then I got the HH. I just ordered 2 more and this time I'm trying the long barrells. I have been waiting on the AVAs. I am curious how the juice gets thru the ceramic on the new open post. It must have a hole?

The_AVA+uses_a_ceramic_bowl+coil_surrounded_by_the_mesh....clean_taste.

I've_been_an_HH357_devotee_for_3_months...My_AVA_had_to_be_sent_back...It_however_does_NOT_have_an_open_center_post,_thus_not_good_for_bottom-feeders.

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica
The_AVA+uses_a_ceramic_bowl+coil_surrounded_by_the_mesh....clean_taste.

I've_been_an_HH357_devotee_for_3_months...My_AVA_had_to_be_sent_back...It_however_does_NOT_have_an_open_center_post,_thus_not_good_for_bottom-feeders.

The net gen AVA have a open center post. Still really expensive. Does your AVA hold up being cleaned in a ultrasonic cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread