E-Liquid. Dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sneak

May 13, 2012
Norway
I am new to vaping. I’m wondering if there is anything to watch out for when purchasing E-juice / e-liquid. It seems like many american manufacturers think it important to have their product made in the US, and that chinese made liquid is inferior somehow. Or is this just a marketing gimmick?

The reason I ask is that I live in Norway, and I would rather not buy things from overseas if I don’t have to. Shipping is expensive.

Are there, in fact, "dangerous" liquids out there?

Edit: also, does anyone know exactly how nicotine is extracted from the tobacco plant?

Thanks. Sneak.:)

Last edited:

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
I think that the biggest differences between US and China juices are the accuracy/variety of the flavors and the PG content: it can be 100% in many of the Chinese juices and that bothers some people who prefer a less harsh throat hit and more vapor. I think that most juices out there still have a Chinese-made nicotine base, though some US suppliers use specialized organic ingredients sourced from Europe (Virgin Vapor) and the US (Highbrow).

I personally like the taste of the US-made juices better than the Chinese ones because there's an epic fail when it comes to some of the Chinese flavors. In other words, some of the Dekang juices are revolting - but others are really quite good. If you can find a Dekang juice from China that you like, it will be more affordable, the quality is good, and you're all set.

Sapphira

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hello again Sneak. Most liquids I have come across are made from food-grade ingredients. Most include propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine extract, artificial and natural flavors, colors and sweeteners. These ingredients have been approved for food use, although not all have been approved for inhalation use. Personally, this doesn't bother me because I vape an an alternative to cigarettes, which contain arsenic, formaldehyde, and 80+ known carcinogens. Whether or not they are "dangerous" is subjective, and everyone has to decide that for themselves.

That said, there are a few flavoring ingredients that some people choose to avoid because they are known irritants to the respiratory tract: diacetyl, acetoin and acetyl propionyl. I would definitely do a little research about these before you buy any e-liquids.

I cannot speak about Norwegian e-liquids as I have absolutely no experience with them, but I would suggest researching the juice maker and what they include in their juices.

And about the 'made in the US'... I do only use juices made in the US, but not because I feel like Chinese juices are inferior or not safe. When I purchase any product, I always try to purchase USA made products (when possible), not because they are superior, but to support my own country and economy, and provide income and jobs here. That's just my choice, and I don't look down on any other country's products.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Well, if you read the comments of many American vapers on ECF, since China had an issue with some bad pet food a few years back, all Chinese eliquid is dangerous and could cause you serious harm. And although no American eliquid (with the exception of one) is regulated in any way, by the mere fact that it is made in America, automatically makes it better and safer than any eliquid made in another country, especially China. There has also been tainted human food coming out of a few American food processing plants over the last 5 - 6 years. But some how that does not translate to eliquid made in America like tainted pet food in China translates to eliquid made in China.

When vaping was new to this country, the only option was Chinese eliquid. Many of the people who vaped back then are no longer on ECF. They have disappeared from this forum. Is there a connection? I don't know.

I guess you just need to do your due diligence.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
FYI, one of the very first vaping suppliers was Janty. I believe they are out of Sweden and have their main shipping centers in France. Many believe Janty makes some of the best blended eliquids in the vaping community and are of the highest quality. They were partial inventers of the famous RY4 flavor eliquid. Their RY4 and KNT flavor eliquids are considered two of the best. I would suggest you at least check them out as they are not too far from you:

Janty Europe - JANTY EUROPE (Worldwide)

Sneak

May 13, 2012
Norway
Hello again Sneak. Most liquids I have come across are made from food-grade ingredients. Most include propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine extract, artificial and natural flavors, colors and sweeteners. These ingredients have been approved for food use, although not all have been approved for inhalation use. Personally, this doesn't bother me because I vape an an alternative to cigarettes, which contain arsenic, formaldehyde, and 80+ known carcinogens. Whether or not they are "dangerous" is subjective, and everyone has to decide that for themselves.

That said, there are a few flavoring ingredients that some people choose to avoid because they are known irritants to the respiratory tract: diacetyl, acetoin and acetyl propionyl. I would definitely do a little research about these before you buy any e-liquids.

I cannot speak about Norwegian e-liquids as I have absolutely no experience with them, but I would suggest researching the juice maker and what they include in their juices.

And about the 'made in the US'... I do only use juices made in the US, but not because I feel like Chinese juices are inferior or not safe. When I purchase any product, I always try to purchase USA made products (when possible), not because they are superior, but to support my own country and economy, and provide income and jobs here. That's just my choice, and I don't look down on any other country's products.

E-liquid is illegal to sell in Norway. And impossible to make. Therefore I must buy online.

Can you tell me more about the flavorings and sweeteners? I am interested to find out what substances are in the liquids, especially the sweeteners, due to certain food allergies. I imagine it is some kind of artificial sweeteners? Xylitol? Aspartame?
I also find it odd that these things lend themselves to evaporation. Thoughts?

And another thing, do you know how they extract nicotine from tobacco? I heard its from the plant and not fake. Perhaps its similar to when they extract nicotine from aztec tobacco to make insecticides?

This is important for us to know.

Thanks again.

Sneak

May 13, 2012
Norway
Well, if you read the comments of many American vapers on ECF, since China had an issue with some bad pet food a few years back, all Chinese eliquid is dangerous and could cause you serious harm. And although no American eliquid (with the exception of one) is regulated in any way, by the mere fact that it is made in America, automatically makes it better and safer than any eliquid made in another country, especially China. There has also been tainted human food coming out of a few American food processing plants over the last 5 - 6 years. But some how that does not translate to eliquid made in America like tainted pet food in China translates to eliquid made in China.

When vaping was new to this country, the only option was Chinese eliquid. Many of the people who vaped back then are no longer on ECF. They have disappeared from this forum. Is there a connection? I don't know.

What I don’t even...

FYI, one of the very first vaping suppliers was Janty. I believe they are out of Sweden and have their main shipping centers in France. Many believe Janty makes some of the best blended eliquids in the vaping community and are of the highest quality. They were partial inventers of the famous RY4 flavor eliquid. Their RY4 and KNT flavor eliquids are considered two of the best. I would suggest you at least check them out as they are not too far from you:

Janty Europe - JANTY EUROPE (Worldwide)

Thanks for this. I have heard of this RY4 stuff. Now I know where it comes from.

Sneak.:)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

Thanks for this. I have heard of this RY4 stuff. Now I know where it comes from.

Sneak.:)

I and quite a few others, prefer their "Classic" and "Elixir" lines of eliquid, Their Classic RY4 is the best, IMO. The KNT (Kent) is in their Elixir line. Both are light, smooth tobacco flavors with a slight hint of vanilla and caramel.

zuzette

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2012
Colorado

LOL

rest assured old vapers did not croak due to bad ejuice. i was one of the people experimenting with e cigs back when you had to order everything from china. hey hey...im still alive! Actually the juice i used to purchase was generic branded but it was just fine.

i do think about chinese quality control. not because the chinese are unscrupulous...but any business has errors. statistically speaking more errors will come from chinese factories simply because there are more chinese factories than else where.

but no...old vapers never die, we just find other things to do for a while.

E-liquid is illegal to sell in Norway. And impossible to make. Therefore I must buy online.

Can you tell me more about the flavorings and sweeteners? I am interested to find out what substances are in the liquids, especially the sweeteners, due to certain food allergies. I imagine it is some kind of artificial sweeteners? Xylitol? Aspartame?
I also find it odd that these things lend themselves to evaporation. Thoughts?

And another thing, do you know how they extract nicotine from tobacco? I heard its from the plant and not fake. Perhaps its similar to when they extract nicotine from aztec tobacco to make insecticides?

This is important for us to know.

Thanks again.

New to vaping too, so don't know much but:

While it is interesting to know the extraction method of the nicotine, why do you think it is important to know?

I myself have recently become concerned with the sweeteners used in the juice. When cooking, if you melt sugar, it will harden later and become super sticky. Not sure about other sweeteners, but I have seen people talk about surgery blends somewhere.

You should youtube the diy juices, they do not look too hard to make and I cant imagine that your country has outlawed the flavorings, bases, or oral syringes and other odds and ends. Maybe just the nicotine extract, which is why you want to know the extraction process?

Finally, if e-liquid is illegal in Norway, but you can order juice online, you can probably also find a vendor willing to ship the nicotine to you.

Just a thought.

Good luck.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

VaporBill

Aug 6, 2012
Brantford
I myself have recently become concerned with the sweeteners used in the juice. When cooking, if you melt sugar, it will harden later and become super sticky. Not sure about other sweeteners, but I have seen people talk about surgery blends somewhere.

You can get natural sugars that will stay liquid if extracted as a liquid to start with. For example, maple sugar starts as tree sap with no more density than water, if you boil it it becomes syrup. boil it more then it becomes sugar. If you leave it as syrup it will remain syrup but if you melt the maple sugar it will revert back to solid sugar. Same applies to Cain Sugar, when you first pressed it is a liquid until boiled down.

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
not all usa branded liquids are the same.... i personally do my due diligence when selecting a vendor, this includes reading reviews, browsing their website, trying them out at vaper events if i can. one thing that makes me steer away from some vendors is their address. if its not a warehouse/storefront type of set up, it makes me uneasy..... lets face it everyone has seen the diy vids where someone is mixing and the cat walks in front of the camera. I wouldn't be able to eat at a persons house with the cat on the table, and i sure as hell don't want to inhale that either... at least if there is a warehouse or store front its a better chance of it being made in a clean/sterile environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread