Status
Not open for further replies.

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
The New Old West Pahrump Nevada
Regards,

Pass-though is sort of a generic term for USB powered e-cig.

If that's all you want, and personally I cannot fathom why anyone would want to put an expendable battery in the permanent USB powered mix, then...

It couldn't be easier...

take your spare USB cord, snip off whatever is on the wrong end, not the end you'll plug in.

and strip the ends of the red and black wires to ready them for solder...

Use a AA bat box, and fetch up a connector for your cartomizer or atty,

a momentary switch,

drill holes in the box for same, one for the USB cable too,

and solder up the (traditional method) black wire to the outside of the connector, red wire to one side of the switch, from the other side of the switch you add another red wire---to the center pole of your cartomizer or atty connector...

That's it... check for continuity and or short circuits, if it's good, you're good...

Fire away...

Do it, it's that simple...

Love mine, even made a second one for my car; I just leave it in there with its lighter plug to USB adapter..

mods are the fo-shizzle

regards
fo

Last edited:

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Jackson,Ms (da DEEP Sout!)
Regards,

If that's all you want, and personally I cannot fathom why anyone would want to put an expendable battery in the permanent USB powered mix, then...

It couldn't be easier...

take your spare USB cord, snip off whatever is on the wrong end, not the end you'll plug in.

a momentary switch,

and solder up the (traditional method) black wire to the outside of the connector, red wire to one side of the switch, from the other side of the switch you add another red wire---to the center pole of your cartomizer or atty connector...

That's it... check for continuity and or short circuits, if it's good, you're good...

Fire away...

Love mine, even made a second one for my car; I just leave it in there with its lighter plug to USB adapter..

mods are the fo-shizzle

regards
fo

fonosmoak;
Using the 2 aa box from Nico stick "
"Battery holder: 2 x AA Covered Battery Holder with On-Off Switch"

Where would you wire black usb lead to use on/off switch, or could you?:confused:

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Jackson,Ms (da DEEP Sout!)
Regards,

you don't need the switch...

You unplug it when you're done, or just take the cartomizer off..

Right-on
fo
Sent you a pm but for the forum.. Did what you said on an old 2 aa box I had toasted making a Nico Stick, (1 of the 4 I toasted....8-o )
Took a button I had as a spare.. wired old usb cable like you said and the bussiness end of a Janty usb charger, (which fits a 401 atty perfectly, just drilled some air holes in it), and it works like a charm!!!!
Thanks for the info :D

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
The New Old West Pahrump Nevada
I have 2 dropped dead 510 manual batts. I want to turn it into a 5v passthrough , is this possible? and how to do it? someone please help! Thanks

Nick

Regards,

The info is here many times over, getting the conector off your dead bat seems to be the biggest hurtle...

I have no experience with 510s...

See "build a NicoStick" for detailed directions, and just substitute the word USB wire for Battery wire, and act accordingly...

Two wires, one red, one black same directions, different sources...

USB could mean Used Same (as) Battery.

Just bust-a move
fo

I am talking to my electrical guru today about a PT battery design using usb connections.
I have the design idea just lacking the knowledge of actually doing it, thinking of a varible battery box idea 3.7, 5v, 6v rolled into one, like a 3 stage switch.

Anyone have experience with usb and voltage tolerances?
Is 6v possible without frying the USB connectons?

I do know I will have to sacrifice a battery or some cherished parts for the mod attempt.. I do have plenty of usb materials floating around.

nick76

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2009
Salinas, CA
Regards,

The info is here many times over, getting the conector off your dead bat seems to be the biggest hurtle...

I have no experience with 510s...

See "build a NicoStick" for detailed directions, and just substitute the word USB wire for Battery wire, and act accordingly...

Two wires, one red, one black same directions, different sources...

USB could mean Used Same (as) Battery.

Just bust-a move
fo

Thanks alot for the info fonosmoak!

Yeah i found it's really hard to get the connector out of the tube make the wire connection.

Nick

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Regards,

It couldn't be easier...

a momentary switch,

Fire away...

mods are the fo-shizzle

regards
fo

So I just did this, but I get nothing. I have continuity and no shorts. Any ideas on why it's not working? I tried it on different USB ports on different computers, and an external USB power supply. Nothing. Am I supposed to do anything with the green and blue wires?

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Boondongle - dig it out of the trash - you only need a couple inches of wire to make the connection.

That's how I run my passthrough - except mine is a 220v wallwart.

No, no. When I say I chopped it up, I mean I tore it open to look at what color wire connected to what pin, so I could match it up with a USB pinout diagram. I'm sure I can rummage through my box of miscellaneous cables and find one, but it sounds like the real answer is to take the 510 atomizer out and put in an 801. I actually prefer the 801s at higher volts, and the 510s at normal voltage, anyway.

Or maybe I can find an AC adapter in there with the right specs to drive at atomizer. I'm looking for...what? Something between 3.7v-6v at 1000mA or more?

mnealtx

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Camp Bondsteel, Kosovo
You want at least 1 amp (1000 mA) - a variable voltage wall wart is handy because you can 'dial-a-vape'.

Note: Due to the VERY small guage of normal USB wiring, you may have to run a higher voltage than advertized to get the proper voltage at the connector. (My example - I have to run 6v on the wallwart to get 5v at the atty)

nick76

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2009
Salinas, CA
My home made 510 5v passthru:
DSC01438-1.jpg

DSC01435-1.jpg

These work good with my 1000ma wall adapter ( i think my usb adapter some how allows more current at least 1500ma or more so my PTs worked very hot)
Work ok on PC USB port too but kinda inconsistent since the attomizer need 1500ma to produce good vapor and hit ( in this case my PC sometime allows more current and sometime doesn't)

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread