Tell me what is good about a Pro-vari or VV mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I've been vaping almost a year now. Started out with 808 batteries, then quickly moved on to fat battery types. I'm considering going up a notch and getting a VV mod of some sort. I know eGo is now making the twisty one or whatever but I'm thinking about something maybe more durable.

So you pro-vari people, can you list out the pros and cons of owning one? Clearly the cost is substantial. Why do I need variable voltage in the first place? I have somewhat of an understanding of the concept, i.e., you can fine tune the voltage to figure out the alleged "sweet spot" but really is it that much better?

Also would like to know what you're using on the pro-vari. tanks? Cartos? All info appreciated.

Malduk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Croatia
Main advantage of VV for me (and where Provari really shines) is keeping the set voltage constant. That was the only reason I personally needed.
Some other pros (in the order I value them):
- security features
- build quality
- size
- looks
- LCD resistance check
- LCD battery check

Cons (for me):
- I'd rather set watts than volts
- ... thats pretty much it.

I'm using everything on a Provari now.

AuBadge

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Antioch, TN
neuronradio.net
All of the above for me, and I really like the consistency of the ProVari vape from the time I put a fully charged battery in until it's time to recharge that battery.
I also have a Lavatube, which I still use when alternating juices during the day. The vape consistency does change (lessen) with the state of the battery, however.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The Provari is repeatable. As long as the carto lasts, you get the same vape day in and day out.

VV allows you to move up and down if you change juices. Some juices like a little more or less voltage. You can adjust in 1/10 volt increments.

The Provari is built from stainless steel with excellent machining that I would call solid craftsmanship. It looks good, feels good, and the threads are precise. It has a one year warranty, but so do some Lavatubes, depending on who you buy them from. After the warranty, you can return a Provari to be repaired. The Lavatube requires another purchase to replace after the warranty runs out.

The Provari maintains voltage at what it is set at, even with LR cartos and dual coils. Until, the new 4 amp Lavatube came out, the 2.5 amp regulator in the Lavatube wasn't enough current to support anything below 2 ohms. It dropped the voltage to compensate. We'll see if the new 4 amp model can hold its own. It probably will, since that was one of the complaints of the old one.

The bottom line for me was thinking ahead. If I can get my Provari fixed instead of buying a new one, that could be advantageous. Right now, Provape is upgrading V1 Provaris to V2 for $20 and that includes them paying for shipping back to you.

The last thing is that Provari uses IMR 18650s instead of protected 18650s. A failed protection circuit can cause venting, burns, and serious damage. The IMR 18650 can get hot, but not vent, explode, or produce flame according to most tests. I feel more comfortable with IMR batts.

Last edited:

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
I think Malduk pretty much hit it on the head. Consistent voltage has spoiled me. After using the Provari for over a year, I've moved over to various mods that use the Kick. As I use only carto tanks, I like the fact that the variations of resistance between carto's isn't a factor any more. I set the Kick to 8 watts and I get the same vape on at any resistance from start to finish. Do you need it? Not unless you've used one because now that I have, I can't go back.

Jim Bob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Kentucky
VV allows you to use ANY carto or atty you may have or want to try and still get a great vape. Many e-liquids taste so much better @ "X volts (or watts ) VV allows you to hit that "sweet spot" (and YES it exists and is very real) That being said MY sweet spot may not be close to YOUR sweet spot, so a 3.7 or 5,6,7 volt mod may or may not fit your needs, however VV can give you from 3-7v or so of variance so most any juice/atty/carto combo will be the best it can be (with some juices that is not saying a great deal) LOL

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Okay, there are really two questions here. The first is what's good about VV. The second is what's good about a Provari.

VV allows you to adjust how hot the element in your atomizer gets. You can simulate what it does buy trying some different resistance atomizers. However, with a VV it's more tunable. The other thing a good VV does is regulate the voltage. So, you don't get any noticeable voltage fall off as the battery is depleted. It just works well right up until the battery dies.

The Provari has a lot of cheerleaders but, whether it's for you (It's not for me.) depends on what's most important to you. The Provari was on my list but, I bought a Buzz Pro and here's why.

There are only a few things I care about. The vape, ease of use, and price. In pretty much that order. Safety, fit and finish, feel in your hand, and durability are also considerations. However, for me all of those are minimums that must be met. Once a device is beyond the minimum, anything more doesn't matter to me.

I'm satisfied with the safety, fit and finish, and durability of both the Provari and the Buzz Pro. They are both VV and they both do what a VV does. I don't use much in the way of dual coils so, the top end difference in voltage is a nice to have with the Buzz Pro but, it's not really important to me. So, I'll say the vape is about the same. Ease of use, I give to the Buzz Pro. No fiddling with menus. No looking at meters. Just a tweak of a knob. Most of the time, you can do it with your eyes closed. The Buzz Pro is less expensive than the Provari with extension tube. So, the knod goes to the Buzz Pro for price too.

You might rate some things differently than I do. This is just my way of thinking.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Vv is wonderful! I love being able to adjust up or down as my moods and needs change. When I was in the position of choosing ..my choices were between the provari and the buzz pro. ..I chose the provari because I do like to see numbers. Knowing where I am voltage wise is very important to me. I've been very happy with my choice but I still wanted a buzz pro and a reo. Of course i didnt "need" them..just "wanted" them lol. Well..reosmods finally came out with a vv version that combined the reo body and functions with the buzz electronics. I jumped on it and love it! Numbers are still important to me so I use a voltmeter to set my vv reo where I want it but I'm playing around with the "dialing to taste " thing.

Because I prefer to see numbers.. if I purchase a device that shows voltage, I want the numbers I see to be correct. With some readout devices, just because you see a certain number on their screen, doesn't mean that you are getting that number (voltage) As of right now, the provari is the only device that I trust to give me the correct numbers. If I set my provari to say...5v and put my voltmeter on it.. it'll read 5v. With my vv devices that don't have led/lcd readouts.. it doesn't really matter.. I set the wheel to where the readout says 5v and that's that. As long as that voltage stays at a constant 5v where the wheel is set.. I'm happy.

You can't go wrong purchasing any of these recommended devices. It boils down to personal preference...do you want to set your voltage by looking at a screen or by dialing a wheel. Neither way is right or wrong..or just buy both and have the best of both worlds!

Last edited:

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
all the good info,
I choose PRovari because of the meter too... since the first ones came out, I learned to drip on the Vari.... i mean after a few months of trying to drip, when i saw all the features the Vari has, i knew it was the one for me.
You can check everything (except watts) ... and that's how i learned about what different resistances, designs, different juices, etc will react to certain voltages.
Actually the regulated power was what really sold me, like the other good VV's, but the meter really is a bonus.

Atomizers change resistance as they age with use, and some resistances react differently from brand to brand, so you can adjust for that too.

disclaimer: If you have a carto or atomizer that is consistent and you know how it is going to react to a set voltage, you don't need VV.

WinNuke95

May 4, 2012
Florida
Perhaps I'm too new to really respond to this, but I'm of the same mindset as Bankston. I frequently go for the biggest and badest toys with max bells and whistles. But when you're approaching the $150 - $200 dollar range for what is little more than a glorified metal tube, I said enough was enough.

I just bought a Rev3 which is very similar to the EVO and SVR. Click the button a few times to move between 3 different, common voltage settings: 4v/5v/6v.

I don't know or care if it fluctuates. It performs beautifully, its crafted well (chrome), and its just $30. I don't need a digital read out of battery life just like I don't need a beer can to tell me if its warm or cold.

Just like all things, the higher and higher you go with the price, the farther you get from practicality. Provari could make the same device for $50.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Main difference between the Provari and the Buzz is the Provari is boosted (one bat), and the Buzz is regulated (two bats).

A boost regulator is one that creates a higher voltage range from a given power source, say a 3.7v battery, and regulates it to remain the same as the battery declines. That describes the Provari, which uses a boost regulator. Regardless of the power source being one or two batteries, a regulator performs a similar function. Two batteries gives you 7.4v instead of the 3.7v you get from a single battery. In that case, buck, linear, or pulse width regulation is all that is needed (no boost).

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
All these talks about the Provari (and not just this thread), I might have to try one.

To be completely honest, I've looked at Provari for a year or so, wanted one, and wouldn't heat up the card to get one. I had some "birthday money" and couldn't think of anything I needed. At the same time, I had decided to give up the last 6 or 8, sometimes 10 cigs I have smoked for two years since starting to vape. I justified the Provari as a tobacco quitting present to myself! I'll have to admit that it has been easy not to smoke after vaping a 3 ohm carto at 4.2v. I'm going through juice faster than a 2 ohm carto at 3.4v, though.

I looked long and hard at the Lavatube and went ahead on the Provari because of its reputation for a solid voltage regulator and the build quality. Since it was subsidized, I thought I deserved it!

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I bought one just to try and told my self it was going straight to the classies if it didn't blow me away. I am now making plans to buy another for a back up. Nuff said

One of my first thoughts was, "What it I have to send this thing off for service? It will be ego time again." I guess I'll just have to break out the dual coils for a couple of weeks to get close to what I've gotten used to. Having two would be nice. I can also see having a Lavatube companion to it.

Seattle40

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2011
Seattle,Wa
Wait a sec ..Provape could make a Provari for 50 bucks??? Maybe so.. But look at what a Chinese SS Lavatube costs.. Come on man...lol All I can say is...try one if you ever have a chance. Most Provari naysayers never have.

In response to DaveP

Provari 18650 --at work and play
Provari Mini--- in the house
Lavatube-- garage & yardwork, or any chance of damage. If I run over my LT with the mower...Meh.. I'll live....lol

Good Luck All !

P.S> this is just MY opinion, I DO NOT wish to open THAT can of worms.. (Provari vs LT) please....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread