Wisconsin Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
As most of you Wisconsinites know, a "smoking ban" will be put into effect in July of next year. This will effect your ability to smoke in businesses including bars and restaurants.

A co-worked of min EMAIL'ed our state officials to ensure that this would have no effect on those of us who partook in the joys of PV's. This is the response from the Lieutenant Governor:

You are correct in your assumption that the smoking ban will not apply to electronic cigarettes. In order for the smoking ban to apply, the smoking product must contain tobacco.

For your reference, here is the statutory definition of smoking (from Wis 101.123(1)(h) (intro.)):

"Smoking" means burning or holding, or inhaling or exhaling smoke from, any of the following items containing tobacco:

1. A lighted cigar.
2. A lighted cigarette.
3. A lighted pipe.
4. Any other lighted smoking equipment.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Truly yours,

Barbara Lawton
Lieutenant Governor

I plan on carrying a printed copy of that in my wallet.

yknotagain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2009
Kenosha, WI
No, that was Peg Lautenschlager, not Barb Lawton.

Controversy

In February 2004, Lautenschlager made national headlines after pleading guilty to drunk driving in Dodge County, about an hour away from Madison. A Dodge County sheriff's deputy reported to the scene to find her state-owned vehicle in the ditch, and her unharmed inside. Her preliminary breathalizer test at the scene showed that her blood alcohol level was 0.12, 50% above the legal limit of 0.08. Lautenschlager said that she had fallen asleep at the wheel, and had consumed only two glasses of wine earlier that evening. She was arrested, and later released to her husband. She refused a blood test, which is standard for a DUI stop in Wisconsin. (Dodge County Case Number 2004TR001348)

A state Ethics Board investigated Lautenschlager's case and ruled that some use of the state car for personal use exceeded state-allowed limits. Lautenschlager reimbursed some of the costs and paid a fine of $784. Her driver's license was also revoked for a year.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
As most of you Wisconsinites know, a "smoking ban" will be put into effect in July of next year. This will effect your ability to smoke in businesses including bars and restaurants.

A co-worked of min EMAIL'ed our state officials to ensure that this would have no effect on those of us who partook in the joys of PV's....

That's good news! I just hope SmokeFree Wisconsin doesn't start campaigning against PVs once the fight over smoking is over here! They are being duped along with other organizations:
SmokeFree Wisconsin: E-cigarettes: the latest ploy by Big Tobacco to hook kids

http://smokefreewisconsin.blogspot.com/2009/07/fda-tests-indicate-that-e-cigarettes.html

I posted a comment, let's see if it gets approved:
Please, please, please don't oppose electronic cigarettes(ie. Personal Vaporizers)!!

Remember that the FDA is easily strong-armed by politicians in Big Tobacco and Big Pharma's back pockets. The tobacco companies WANT e-cigs banned, because they KNOW it's a less dangerous alternative and therefore a threat to their bottom line. By opposing e-cigs, you are being manipulated into being on the side of the tobacco companies!

Just look at the facts. The FDA found "trace amounts" of the SOME of the things found in tobacco cigarettes. Their "spin" was that they weren't "safe." If they were really looking out for US citizens, they would have said, "WOW! These ONLY have trace amounts of adverse ingredients found in tobacco cigarettes. That's a great improvement!"

Why the negative spin?? Who does it REALLY benefit?

Smoke free Wisconsin should be FIGHTING for the acceptance of electronic cigarettes as, at the very least, a SAFER alternative to tobacoo - both for the ex-smoker and those around them.

Electronic cigarettes aren't meant to be a 100% safe alternative nor are they meant to entice young non-smokers. Nothing in this world is 100% safe. But they are 1,000 times better than tobacco and that says something!

Using a parachute isn't 100% safe, but it's much safer than jumping out of a plane without one, right?

Don't be duped! Big tobacco (and Big Pharama) are just looking out for their own interests and are lobbying hard to get e-cigs banned and they count on well-meaning groups like Smoke Free Wisconsin to believe the hype and do their dirty work for them. I know you're better than that - don't oppose e-cigs and you'll save a lot more lives!!

Ex-smokers using these wonderful alternatives are pleading with you to see through the FDA/Big Tobacco rhetoric!

Thank you so much for sharing this information with us, Scott. I live near Wausau and I, too, will be printing this out and carrying it with me at all times.
Hey, We're in Antigo! Howdy neighbor! :D

Last edited:

woodslady1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Hi Kristin! We lived in Antigo for 10 years!!! Small world here at ECF. We go back there frequently as I still have a brother who lives there, plus, I miss that area, dang it all! 8-o

Outwest, you are correct about this being a vape-friendly state. Other than the occasional curiosity from smokers wondering what I'm using, I never get hassled using my pv in public. Seems everyone is happy that it is what it is and, on the whole, they all basically commend me for quitting analogs. Anyone who knew my analog habit cannot believe that I dropped it so easily with the aid of these wonderful devices and, hopefully, I have helped many find their way to a cleaner lifestyle! :)

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
That's good news! I just hope SmokeFree Wisconsin doesn't start campaigning against PVs once the fight over smoking is over here! They are being duped along with other organizations:
SmokeFree Wisconsin: E-cigarettes: the latest ploy by Big Tobacco to hook kids

SmokeFree Wisconsin: FDA tests indicate that e-cigarettes pose a health risk

I posted a comment, let's see if it gets approved:

Hey, We're in Antigo! Howdy neighbor! :D

Kristin: I also posted educational and politically correct (diplomatic even!) comments on both blogs. Like you, I'll see if they actually get published.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread