Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I was the type of smoker that would always try to conceal my cigarettes when kids (0-17) were around, but now I also try to conceal my ecig. I think ecigs, as a general rule of thumb, are more intriguing and mysterious, so I am pretty vigilant with trying to not "advertise" nicotine consumption in any way that could be construed as "cool".

Anybody with me on this?

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
to be honest, i haven't had much of an opportunity to be around kids since i have started vaping. unless you want to count all ages shows when i'm vaping outside of the venue i work at. i know when i'm waiting at a crosswalk or bus stop with a mother with children i always notice they edge as far away as possible from me, but i don't hide what i'm doing.
when i was growing up my parents and grandparents smoked wherever they could. my granny would barely crack the window while smoking and driving, she chain smoked inside (even when she was doing her hair/makeup in the morning), my parents smoked in the vehicle with my brother and i, as well as in the house. once my dad smoked inside my room to upset me.
when we used to gather as a family with my younger cousins no one made smoking a secret, though my aunt does not allow smoking inside her house.
i think when presented with the opportunity i will just do what i feel i have to do, but make it clear to kids why smoking is harmful and why addictions are not cool. that what was done with me. not like it was awesome advice, i still made the choice to smoke in the end.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I have 4 kids 12 and under. They were all over me to quit smoking. My oldest 2 were thrilled when I quit. I never smoked around them, because of second hand smoke but I didnt hide it either. Now I dont hide vaping from them. They love the fact that I am doing something that isnt harmfull at all. When I helped a couple of my neighbors order and setup their starter kits we would not let their kids hang out and become experts on how to setup and use the equipment, but we surly dont hide the fact that there is a safe alternative out there. When my kids have friends over I take a minute and explain to their friends, so they can explain to their parents that when they see me look like Im smoking Im not. IMO the more people who know about vaping the better.

outofbreath

Feb 17, 2012
New Jersey
While I never smoked around my grandchildren they all knew I was outside having a cigarette. I do vape in my house now. They are all quite happy. They know it is not a real cigarette and are happy it isn't. Since the one and only thing that convinced me to try the e cig was my granddaughters statement to her health class teacher "my grandma is real old and she smokes so I don't believe cigarettes can hurt you ". That pushed the seriousness up quite a bit. So, yes, I do vape around the children. My adult children look at it as a good thing! It was their idea, they didn't see the need for me to go outside.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I have 4 kids 12 and under. They were all over me to quit smoking. My oldest 2 were thrilled when I quit. I never smoked around them, because of second hand smoke but I didnt hide it either. Now I dont hide vaping from them. They love the fact that I am doing something that isnt harmfull at all. When I helped a couple of my neighbors order and setup their starter kits we would not let their kids hang out and become experts on how to setup and use the equipment, but we surly dont hide the fact that there is a safe alternative out there. When my kids have friends over I take a minute and explain to their friends, so they can explain to their parents that when they see me look like Im smoking Im not. IMO the more people who know about vaping the better.

kwalka, solid stance and point of view!

I completely understand that position. I don't have any kids, but I do see the kids in my neighborhood as my family. They are the type, like most, that gain license by seeing examples, and I personally don't care to be yet another adult blowing smoke or vapor their way.

Oh, and the second kids start bringing ecigs and niquids to school, we will probably start seeing some undesirable press that will surely affect us all!!! Kids will become aware of the presence and existence of ecigs through the internet, but I am still cautious, in spite of the fact that they already see smokers smoke. I understand that it is not a terrible thing if kids around you, that know you smoked, see that you have evolved and chose a safer alternative. I am speaking more about unsuspecting kids. For instance, one time a young kid (maybe 15yrs old) saw me vaping my big batt mod and inquired about it. I tried to say all the necessary "adult" things to him, but he just looked like he saw the newest toy he just had to have! That didn't make me feel too hot! I don' t believe any of us want kids vaping, especially ones that didn't even smoke? Maybe it wouldn't bother anyone else, but for me, call it "hiding" or whatever but I choose to not do it. I realized that I am advertising and promoting the things I do to kids, whether it is vaping, smoking, or just my behavior in general.

Once again, I totally understand how, where, and in front of who you choose to vape. Like vaping, I guess, we all do it our own way.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
While I never smoked around my grandchildren they all knew I was outside having a cigarette. I do vape in my house now. They are all quite happy. They know it is not a real cigarette and are happy it isn't. Since the one and only thing that convinced me to try the e cig was my granddaughters statement to her health class teacher "my grandma is real old and she smokes so I don't believe cigarettes can hurt you ". That pushed the seriousness up quite a bit. So, yes, I do vape around the children. My adult children look at it as a good thing! It was their idea, they didn't see the need for me to go outside.

I can't argue with that!

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
I was just discussing this subject especially in regards to places like Disney. It's a fine line I guess. Most of the responders so far have been discussing children in their own family that already knew they smoked, but I think OP was more interesed in out and about in public and children in general. While PV are a healthier option than traditional smoking, I do kind of agree that it's probably best to not be as "in your face" about it around children. Especially in today's age of "cool technology" and what not.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Well, I'm not so presumptuous or egotistical to think strange kids are going to consider me some kind of role model to emulate. If they do, they have far more serious problems in their future than taking up vaping. There's a difference between smoking in the sight of kids, and being "in their face" about it.

Besides, it must be nice to live somewhere where none of the neighborhood kids smoke cigarettes. I would have no problem vaping around some 16 or 17 year old, hanging out on the corner smoking cigarettes. I might even suggest they get their own e-cig. I wish someone would have been able to do that for me when I was 16. I had already been smoking for 2 years at that point. It's pretty sad when a kid has to have a 4 or 5 year cigarette habit before he can legally use the best method known to man to quit. Where are all those "harm reduction" folks when the subject is reducing harm to teenage smokers? What's so magic about the number 18? If a 16 or 17 year old has enough good judgement to try to quit with an e-cig, they should be able to do it without interference. Or are they automatically fair game for the "quit or die" goons?

Some may argue that a 16 year old can't have that much of a habit and should be able to quit nicotine entirely. Well, I was smoking a pack a day at age 15 when I first tried to quit. But, that aside, would they make the same argument to the innumerable posters on the new member board who report that they have smoked 1/2 pack a day for a year or two?

I'm not going to advocate it or glamorize it in front of kids, strangers or not. But neither will I hide vaping, or any other legal activity, for fear of influencing the behavior of someone else's kids. I'm not a movie or rock star. I'm not a pro-athlete or an educator. It's the parents' job to influence the behavior of their own children. I didn't sign up for that.

Dnorager

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2011
Layton, UT
www.electronicstix.com
I do vape in front of my children, of course I dont blow it in their faces or do it while they are close to me. But I do vape in the house and they know what I am doing, they also know that cigarettes are bad for you and vaping is just a healthier alternative. I know they are smart but it does kind of bother me that they get intrigued by the vapor I blow out and the color changing led on my mod.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Excuse me, sailorman...Well, I don't know if you are saying I am "presumptuous or egotistical", but if you noticed...what I wrote was coming from a place of sincerity. I don't know when the last time you have been to Detroit, but I am almost sure kids smoke! C'mon, really?! You can be dismissive if you want, but you sound a bit agitated by a thread that you didn't even have to respond to.

I am not some pious man who thinks he can change the world or something by not vaping in front of kids, but don't assume anything about me and my role in my community. Notice I just used the word community. Oh, and by the way, I work with the kids in the community to stop another kind of harm reduction that you may or may not be familiar with, who knows?

Edit***I don't want to delete what I wrote, but the more I read sailorman's post the more I understand it, but I am still slightly perplexed by the tone. He was not speaking about me. I am leaving this up for now just to show how posts can get misconstrued...mine with his, and his with mine!

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I do vape in front of my children, of course I dont blow it in their faces or do it while they are close to me. But I do vape in the house and they know what I am doing, they also know that cigarettes are bad for you and vaping is just a healthier alternative. I know they are smart but it does kind of bother me that they get intrigued by the vapor I blow out and the color changing led on my mod.

Yeah, I should have been a little less general when I said "kids". There are so many different situations that there can't be a one-size fits all approach. I was just speaking more about the fact that addiction is addiction and I don't want to seem to have a "cool" addiction, even if less harmful, to minors. I hope people aren't thinking somehow I was condemning others that do vape in front of kids...that was not my intent. sailorman, gave a nice long rant that made me realize that I must have been speaking some foreign language or something. All I was saying was I am trying to be vigilant about what I advertise to kids. The bottom line is, do with your family what you like, and I will do with myself what I like. I meant no condemnation or judgement to others.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Was I talking about you? No I was not. I don't know your situation, but you are far from the first person to express that sentiment. Evidently, you are in a position of working with unrelated kids and may actually have a legitimate reason to think you have influence with them. I'm not. Nor are most people. I said I was no educator or athlete. I guess I should have included community juvenile counselor? Perhaps you should view your position as an opportunity to influence some of those smoking kids, instead of hiding from them.

As for me, I was speaking as an average person with no formal connection with kids. This post comes up every few months and is always answered by a lot of people who seem to think they influence any kid who happens to see them just because they are adults. Yeah, that is presumptuous and egotistical. It's the same "it takes a village" mentality run amok that compels these same people to attempt to create a child-safe world at the expense of everyone else's rights and freedoms.

Don't get me wrong. I believe in community as much as anyone. I even buy into the "takes a village" narrative, but within reason.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
. I guess I should have included community juvenile counselor?

Juvenile counselor? I am to a juvenile counselor what toothbrush is to an e-carrot, not even close (just injecting some humor that you should appreciate). Listen, I was wrong, but your tone was off. I get it, you've been here and seen this and it is nothing new. No one here was necessarily jumping on the "it takes a village bandwagon" anyway, so your post was not balancing the thread. Anyway, I appreciate your point of view, and your writing style. Thanks for coming back, but seriously, you have a way with tone, man. ;)

Oh, I don't hide! These kids around here know who I was and who I am, they just don't need to be privy to everything, and I get to decide what.

Last edited:

aurea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2012
Nashville, TN
docs.google.com
I'm with ya' Mr.Mann I kept my smoking a total secret from those under 18. I totally get what you're saying about not wanting to promote a "habit" to a kid any kid. Because lets face it if they think you're cool / or what you are doing is cool they will try it. I don't want to be that person, EVER!

I have a 16 year old son and he knows that I smoked. He was well aware of my smoking. I always smoked out doors rain, snow, or sun because I didn't want him to reek of cigarettes or have that crap in his lungs. Since I started vaping I have been vaping pretty hard in the house (mostly in my craft room which he abhors because it's to "girly"). So, I don't feel to weird about it. But before I started vaping we had a LONG chat about smoking and converting to vaping and why and no second hand smoke and yada yada. I then went on to explain why I never wanted him doing either (poor kids gonna need therapy after all of my "chats").

I have nephews that are young and I never smoked around them NOR will I vape around them. My son has a ton of teenage friends. I didn't smoke around them and I'm not going to start vaping around them.

This is an addiction better than smoking but still an addiction and I'm going to try and keep from encouraging, promoting, or demonstrating that any addiction is ok to a minor.

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
I'm not going to advocate it or glamorize it in front of kids, strangers or not. But neither will I hide vaping, or any other legal activity, for fear of influencing the behavior of someone else's kids. I'm not a movie or rock star. I'm not a pro-athlete or an educator. It's the parents' job to influence the behavior of their own children. I didn't sign up for that.

Can I get an "Amen"?

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
I don't go out of my way to vape in front of my nieces, but I don't hide it either. They saw me smoke (always outside because they and I have asthma and I didn't want it in the house), they now see me vape and are thrilled that it's not something that will kill me. They don't seem to have any interest in it. My sister and I didn't seem to have any interest in smoking when my parents smoked in the house, car, etc in front of us.... but we both ended up smoking. I think kids are going to be exposed to smokers out in the world whether family members smoke or not. I figure they might as well be exposed to vaping and know that there is a healthier alternative. I hope my nieces never smoke. They've seen the coughing and wheezing first hand. Now they've also seen that there's a healthier way. If they ever consider taking up smoking because their peers think it's cool, I hope they'll consider an e-cig cooler and safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread