Older Folks and Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
I thought I would start a thread mostly for older folks but everyone is welcome. It is primarily to help longtime smokers to get off cigarettes and stay off by sharing our vaping experiences. Most everyone reading this has already started vaping so our goal is to support one another and help those beginning the vaping journey.

I have been vaping 2 1/2 years after smoking off and on for 60 years. I inhaled my first cigarette at 10 and by the time I was 15 I was smoking a pack a day. I've struggled with quitting smoking for 30 years and discovering the e-cig and vaping has been a life saver for me. I was diagnosed with COPD about seven years ago and my health was deteriorating rather quickly with loss of breath and coughing continuously. Since I started vaping my health has improved tremendously so that is why I'm so adamant about helping others make the same decision.

I have been vaping for 2 1/2 years but I'm far from an expert on vaping equipment but I have tried most devices or similar ones out there so I do have an opinion on most of them. We are all different when it comes to vaping and one thing doesn't work for all in fact very few of us will settle on using the same juices and PV's. That is what makes having a thread that we can discuss all e-cig related stuff without arguing about what is best is a good thing.

I have found that most of us older folks and long time smokers like the no muss no fuss PV's especially in the beginning. We would like to hear all of your stories and vaping experiences and what devices you started with and your journey to what you use now.

Us older folks do like to socialize along with our vaping but we need to keep this thread mostly about vaping or it will be moved to a social forum. We do have another thread in the Lounge Forum that is both social and vaping related. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/lounge/289745-older-people-55-up.html

I hope this thread is a success in helping others along the vaping trail!:)
:tumble:

Reactions: viewvape

BHam

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago, IL
www.vapor4life.com
I love these threads where we can lean on one another and talk about our struggles and how we keep going on. I've been vaping for about a year and I love it. I can breathe better and having my asthma under control now feels great. Thanks for starting this. I'll represent the younger crowd LOL. I am 21 going on 22 in a few months.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
I love these threads where we can lean on one another and talk about our struggles and how we keep going on. I've been vaping for about a year and I love it. I can breathe better and having my asthma under control now feels great. Thanks for starting this. I'll represent the younger crowd LOL. I am 21 going on 22 in a few months.

That is great BHam! We need some younger folks on here too. What type of PV are you using?

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Bless your heart! I'm 17 & smoked for almost 50 yrs.; math wiz (class 101). I've been vaping for 10 months & just love it! I also like to keep it as simple as possible even tho I'm amazed at what some people have done w/mods & taking things apart. My new life started when my daughter gifted me w/3 different kits of ecigs. I didn't have a clue as to what they were & I was totally shocked at what she had spent. I insisted she return them & went out a found a cheap Blu just to try it & see what it was all about; not bad but not as good as the RYO which I had been doing for years. Anyways, I started checking into these new contraptions & that was the start. It only took 4 days & all the ashtrays in my house were washed & put away; even tho I found myself putting my new pacifiers into an ashtray I had left out for that purpose. I started w/the 510 like everyone else, cute, looked like a cig, adorable colored lite on the end - not long after I had to move onto the ego 1000 & had stuck w/that (all Joyetech). Sooooo....that's my story...it's all good!

VapRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2011
FL
Well as much as I would love to participate alot I won't be abel to. I only have 3 mods from Super-T which fulfill my needs completely. As atty I use only Genisis as that fits mt needs perfectly. I am getting the Talos which is based on the Genisis but I have not recieved it yet and it might take some time since it is from Germany. Will report back with that.
Other then that I am not very knowledgeable with all the other equipment.
Soooo....... carry on then ;)

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
Well as much as I would love to participate alot I won't be abel to. I only have 3 mods from Super-T which fulfill my needs completely. As atty I use only Genisis as that fits mt needs perfectly. I am getting the Talos which is based on the Genisis but I have not recieved it yet and it might take some time since it is from Germany. Will report back with that.
Other then that I am not very knowledgeable with all the other equipment.
Soooo....... carry on then ;)

What type of mods are you using with the genisis? I would like to know a little more about the Genisis being as that is one I've never tried. I've seen pictures and they look pretty cool but that is about all I know about them.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
I will hangin around cuz I am always looking for new devices and ideas that are about vaping..

vaping has replace a nasty, stinkie habit for me..

Great Wendal good to see ya. What types of PV's are you using. I believe you use a Go-Go some don't you? The Go-Go has been one of my favorites for almost a year and a half. I hadn't been using them much lately until they came out with the new Ce4 tank at cigeasy and now I'm using them more often. I really like it with the great 1300 Go-go battery.

elbertdee

Resting In Peace
Apr 29, 2012
California
61 yr old Smoked 49 of it.

Got my volt on May 7,
Been going ok. Still not ready to complete let go of my friend tobacco. But every day gets a little closer.

Last few day 2 or 3 tobaccos.

Love the Volt and getting more used to the 555 juice.
Like a little VG in my juice as it produces more e-smoke and smooths the TH for me.

I can say of the times I have tried to stop smokeing tobacco this is the first time I know it will work.
Im just letting my body make the changes on its own as It is starting to like the Vaping more than the Tobacco

Tx thanks for starting this up. I may be new but I have learned a lot and want to help anyone who is willing to accept it.

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
That is a great story moishesmom! I just got a new ego twist 1000 last week and it is working real good. What type of carto or atty are you mainly using with it?
Welcome to the thread and hope you come back often.:)
Hey TX...Glad you got the twist-it's super when it works; my first one died (may it RIP) after only a couple of days - I've the new replacement now & am keeping my fingers crossed. I have seen various posts here where there were problems w/them; they seemed to indicate that it was mainly w/the stainless ones, but, mine was black - oh well! I've now ventured into the world of cartos & clearos. I've only used the ego-t & c up to this point. Don't know if I've come full circle or just going around in cirlces!! What do you use on yours?
Oh-oh-oh......I just got a sub from m&p but I'm afraid to change the carto in it; that's hi-tech class 101!

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Smoked on and off for around 40 years. More on than off. I was diagnosed with COPD when I had a really bad bought of breathing problems. Of course I kept having them and they came more often over the following years.
Even so I had no intention of quitting. Over three years ago, I got my first ecig for the purpose of using it while visiting my daughter. I figured it was something to get me through until I returned home where 5 1/2 cartons of analogs awaited me.
I was at my daughter's for three weeks and it became obvious that vaping worked. By the time I got home, I was feeling the health improvements: No more inhaler. No more Advair. It was so obvious that vaping worked.
I can't say that there haven't been any frustrating moments over the last 3 years but I've stuck with it and have been analog free since March 20,2009!!!

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
61 yr old Smoked 49 of it.

Got my volt on May 7,
Been going ok. Still not ready to complete let go of my friend tobacco. But every day gets a little closer.

Last few day 2 or 3 tobaccos.

Love the Volt and getting more used to the 555 juice.
Like a little VG in my juice as it produces more e-smoke and smooths the TH for me.

I can say of the times I have tried to stop smokeing tobacco this is the first time I know it will work.
Im just letting my body make the changes on its own as It is starting to like the Vaping more than the Tobacco

Tx thanks for starting this up. I may be new but I have learned a lot and want to help anyone who is willing to accept it.

Thanks elbertdee and glad you found the thread. I too have a volt and it about the best cig size pv I've found. I don't use it much because I prefer the bigger batteries but it does work good. Many if not most new vapers like to start with a cig size pv so your advice to them will be valuable.:)

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
Smoked on and off for around 40 years. More on than off. I was diagnosed with COPD when I had a really bad bought of breathing problems. Of course I kept having them and they came more often over the following years.
Even so I had no intention of quitting. Over three years ago, I got my first ecig for the purpose of using it while visiting my daughter. I figured it was something to get me through until I returned home where 5 1/2 cartons of analogs awaited me.
I was at my daughter's for three weeks and it became obvious that vaping worked. By the time I got home, I was feeling the health improvements: No more inhaler. No more Advair. It was so obvious that vaping worked.
I can't say that there haven't been any frustrating moments over the last 3 years but I've stuck with it and have been analog free since March 20,2009!!!

Wow great story jj2. What did you do with the five cartons? Three years cig free is awesome. You have me beat by 8 months! You will have to come back and share your journey of what pv you started with and how you got to what you use now.:)

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Bless your heart! I'm 17 & smoked for almost 50 yrs.; math wiz (class 101).

Umm, well I'm almost 71 and smoked for better than 50 years. I started smoking somewhere around 12 years old when I figured out that I could swipe one of my dads cigarettes and make the Tourette's ticks go away, and I continued to smoke until I was 69 years old.
    My first PV was an eGo-T, and I can't knock them ... they were successful at getting me off cigarettes. I have since found that there are an abundance of different ways to enjoy vapimg. My problem is that I enjoy them all! Seems like I'm always wondering what a flavor will be like if I put it in a -------, and just have to try it.

VapRon

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 6, 2011
    FL
    What type of mods are you using with the genisis? I would like to know a little more about the Genisis being as that is one I've never tried. I've seen pictures and they look pretty cool but that is about all I know about them.

Right now I am using the P18 with brass top and button. That looks so slick. It is my favorite. With the 18650's it gives me enough. The second one is the P+18500 in satin finish. Love that one also. Use it for around and about. The last one is the Shockwave. Is still in production but should arrive soon. Can hardly wait:oops: The design was done about one year ago but Super-T just got to the production phase shortly ago. Was to busy meeting our other needs hihi.
    And those combined with the Genisis is vaping heaven for me.
    I started on atty dripping but I blew them in one day. Inexperience played a big role in that.
    Went on to cartomizer. Well they worked for max 3 days and then got all clogged up. I tried all kind of cleaning procedures as posted by so many. Nothing helped. I was getting devastated.
    Then the first Tanks gome along. Reviews report leaking over and over so I decided to wait until that improves.
    Then the Genisis appiers here at ECF. Wow rebuilable atty. My dream.
    Now I can set whatever ohm I want. Use a kick and I don't even have to care about that:D
    The great thing is that since I am not using the kick always I set varios ohms for varios needs like taking the flavors ino account.
    Of course that can only be done with more then one Genisis. I have 4 and all in use.
    And talking about savings. As cheap cartomizers are they can't beat a sheet of mesh with a roll of kanthal.
    Guess one can see how excited I am with my setup.
    In the end it does not really matter which mod you use as long as it keeps us of the cigarets. That I wish for anyone.

Last edited:

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 7, 2009
    Walla Walla
    Hey TX...Glad you got the twist-it's super when it works; my first one died (may it RIP) after only a couple of days - I've the new replacement now & am keeping my fingers crossed. I have seen various posts here where there were problems w/them; they seemed to indicate that it was mainly w/the stainless ones, but, mine was black - oh well! I've now ventured into the world of cartos & clearos. I've only used the ego-t & c up to this point. Don't know if I've come full circle or just going around in cirlces!! What do you use on yours?
    Oh-oh-oh......I just got a sub from m&p but I'm afraid to change the carto in it; that's hi-tech class 101!

I'm using a Riva-T tank which is basically a ce2 with the metal jacket over it with windows. I think it is similar to what some call an F-1. It works real good thouh. I wish I would have got a 650 though being as this 1000 is pretty long. I use other 1300 batteries like the Go-Go and a 1300 auto Echo but they are much shorter than the 1000 twist. I also got the black one and the only other complaint is it is really hard to see the numbers with my bad eyesight, I need new glasses. lol

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    May 12, 2011
    Maine
    Hi, everyone!! I just celebrated my one year vapeversary!! I smoked for nearly 40 years, knew I had to quit. I had been lucky for too long, no smoker's cough, no breathing trouble, no discernable problems. I hope my luck holds out... The day I picked up an ecig was the day I had my last ciggie.

I started with Greensmoke. I returned it, but it showed me that was possible to quit smoking with vaping, I ordered a few ego batts and lr cartos, and I was set for a while. I kept reading about VV vaping, so, of course, I had to try it. I ordered a VV boxmod from MV, and melted it the first day, LOL. I did some well needed reading about ohms, voltage, and amperage, and got most of that sorted out. I decided to start diying my own juice right about the same time. I realized that I am a "flavor junkie".

I vape only on VV devices now. I am particularly drawn to the custom wood mods. I also use carto tanks exclusively, and I have a collection of about 30 different tanks filled with various flavors. I am very satisfied with my vaping experience right now, until the next thing comes along...:)

AppleJack

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 6, 2009
    S. Florida
    Hi everyone. Been lurking in the other thread for sometime now and thought I would introduce myself. Have been a smoker for over 50 yrs and vaped and smoked for three. Recently had a stroke and was told "no more ciggies". My neurologist recommended e-cigs. That was doable for me and here I am two months and 19 days without an analog and getting along just fine with the help of my Saber Touch and Chuck and WTA. You are a great group and I love the stories you tell.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread