Allergy pg and or vg - PEG400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kateyes

Aug 10, 2011
Michigan
Hi I have been vaping since august, 2011. I mostly dealt with one vendor who I liked dealing with. A few months after starting to vape I had facial swelling, eyes, neck, nose and slight rash. I saw my internist several times who referred me to an ENT, saw him twice who said it was an allergy. They put me on clyndimycin for 10 days twice now. I have mostly stuck with menthol type carts and liquids since I started vaping.

So I ordered VG liquid and it seems worse. I read that sometimes VG liquid has coconut or palm oil as a base - coconut I have a known allergy.

I heard there was something called PEG400? that is usda liquid but don't know who supplies it. I guess for me I need to find out what the bases are made from and the vendors don't really list those issues.

Does anyone else have a similar problem and did you find a solution?

I don't want to give this up but I am near the end of my rope.

Thanks for any insight...K

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
I've heard of people being allergic to either VG or PG. Have you tried vaping with just PG? It may well be that you're allergice to the VG. I'm not all that familiar with this sort of thing, but by posting here, I'll be giving this a bump, and maybe someone else more knowledgable will see it and respond.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

Kateyes

Aug 10, 2011
Michigan
Here's a supplier and here's a link explaining PEG
http://www.........../shopping/shopcontent.asp?type=eliquid-base-comparison
Soory the above link is blacklisted by ECF.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...on/5874-peg-new-ingredient-instead-pg-vg.html
There are 2 types of VG- animal based and plant based. Perhaps if you have allergies to Coconut oil animal based may be needed. I have a terrible allergy to sweetener- Ethyl Maltol aka Cotton Candy so I feel for you.
Good Luck.

thanks how did you solve your issue?

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Here's another thread:
"I had a terrible rash/swelling from the flavorings and additives. Not entirely a bad thing, since I ended up taking diy serious and actually prefer my juice to most premades now. I have gluten and corn allergies, the corn is what was the culprit. If she has a corn allergy, this could be the culprit. Highbrow (Bryan) Vapor is awesome about customizing juice, if you don't want to diy yet."

You could always pm the person.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/275192-rash-allergic-reaction.html

IMHO it is either the PG, VG or flavorings. I find it strange that this allergic reaction did not occur immediately after you began vaping. The only suggestion I would make is to try 100% PG, next 100% VG and maybe even juice with no flavoring.
In regards to allergies I'm 60 yrs young and have devoured nuts all my life. 20 yrs ago ate a cereal bowl of shelled peanuts and my face and throat swelled up. Turns out I had a hidden allergy to nuts yet it took all those yrs for my system to have a severe allergic reaction to nuts.
Good Luck and if I find anything else will post here.

Last edited:

Kateyes

Aug 10, 2011
Michigan
Wow this is good information. Thank you so much.

I do have known allergies to various substances, like coconut, the stuff Eucerin is made from, trees, dust mold, to name a few.

I did start off with vg cartomizers and did have facial swelling but I didn't put it down to Vaping. I thought it was I hadn't changed my allergy proof pillow covers often enough or dust in the house or some cream...it was only when my eyes and neck swelled that I started with my doctors, internist and then ENT.

I was so happy not to be out in the garage (freezing) or deck taking 2-3 puffs of kool milds I felt Vaping was mana from above.

With the information kindly provided I will try different things. I did switch back to pg juice last night and it wasn't as bad as the 100% vg juice. But maybe it is the menthol or other flavor like you are saying! I hope I can find something pre made that works. Making your own is probably a learning experience. But if I have to I will learn.

I am well aware having been allergic all my life that you can suddenly have a severe reaction to a substance you previously didn't have a problem with.

Thanks much, Kathleen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread