Feb 4, 2010
Maine

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
I just collapsed a spring on my woodville this weekend with a bad carto and It's headed off to Maine tomorrow for some spa time. Seems like these might have prevented mine from having to take a trip.

As an aside, I placed that carto on a vv woodville first and it wouldn't fire. So I guess the protection circuitry in the vv worked like a charm. Just wished I hadn't tried it on the woodville after that.:facepalm:

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Yep, I collapsed a spring in my Grand last year- had to send it in- of course you can buy replacement springs but they are harder to deal with in a Woodvil- I visually inspect all of my connection ends especially when I take them off one mod and put them on another...sometimes weird things happen and the center post's gasket can bet dislodged, turn sideways and cause a short- rare, but I've seen this happen more than once.

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
Yep. If it had happened with my grand I would have fooled around with it to see if I could replace the spring with one of the spares I have here. Worst case scenario with that is I would have had to send it back to Rob in pieces to be put back together.:laugh: But the woodville looked a bit more complicated to mess with.

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
I bought a couple of these to try out. Do the springs look too compressed to you guys? One way they don't work is with the NI-MH batteries in the grand. They will fit OK in the woodville, however the fit is way,way too tight in a grand. I had to pry the NI-MH battery out of the grand with a spoon handle when the fuse was in it. They do fit in a grand OK though with the IMR batteries.

DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0311.jpg

SammyT

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Auburn, Alabama, USA
www.freighttrainmods.com
Looks good to me, the whole reason for it is to keep the spring from heating up so it doesn't really matter if it's compressed. You could even replace the spring with any old battery contact that fits (not saying you should) :D. I wonder if it would fit with stacked rcr123a 3v batts. Or with an 18490 and kick, although the kick may have a built in fuse, idk.

-Sam

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
Looks good to me, the whole reason for it is to keep the spring from heating up so it doesn't really matter if it's compressed. You could even replace the spring with any old battery contact that fits (not saying you should) :D. I wonder if it would fit with stacked rcr123a 3v batts. Or with an 18490 and kick, although the kick may have a built in fuse, idk.

-Sam

Yeah, I was just thinking that if the fuse failed for some reason that the spring might still serve as a backup safety protection, maybe?

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Yep, I collapsed a spring in my Grand last year- had to send it in- of course you can buy replacement springs but they are harder to deal with in a Woodvil- I visually inspect all of my connection ends especially when I take them off one mod and put them on another...sometimes weird things happen and the center post's gasket can bet dislodged, turn sideways and cause a short- rare, but I've seen this happen more than once.

I've collapsed several springs on Woodvils and REOs using the Resurectors. I replace the springs on the REOs myself; easy peasy, but yes, some soldering for the Woods. I have to send a couple of REOs to Robert (Queen Procrastinator has been saying this for months) so I'm sending the one Woodvil for Robert to replace spring that I could do myself but finding the stuff and finding time to do it is an issue. Then there's the other Woodvil that I collapsed the spring in when I literally soaked the Woods in Howard's and wax got into the Woodvil button and stuck it on. I didn't know it was stuck on until I put the battery in and then battery fell out and red hot collapsed spring..... and sizzled new IKV 801 atty. I'm sending those and a couple more in a med flat rate box so some savings there but if they were going individually, not including the repair charge, $9 for a protection chip will be a bargain! I just heard about them from Sterno tonight so I'm going to order three or four.

I haven't read the whole thread (really short on time) but I'll bet someone asked about the protection chip compressing the spring. My thinking is that the protection from collapsing spring is not needed with the protection from the chip.

Hugs and love, Feisty Alice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread