HOW TO: Clean and refill Cartomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaploVoss

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Rogersville, MO - USA
Greetings all,

I have seen this asked halfway through threads on many occasions and even a thread here and there on it that gets buried only to be asked again so here is a HOWTO on cleaning and refilling your cartomizers.

Many of you may have already figured out how to refill your cartomizers, but they just don't seem to work as well anymore, or hold as much juice. This is VERY easy to fix.

1) Pop the top and o-ring off of your cartomizer so you can see the filler and atty looking down from the top of it.
2) Walk over to your sink.
3) Turn on the tap to run warm water.
4) Hold the cartomizer under the stream briefly and take away. You will see water run out the bottom.
5) repeat #4 several times. 5 or 6 should do.
6) put the top of the cartomizer in your mouth, and blow HARD. Keep blowing until you stop feeling and hearing water gurgling out the battery end.
7) repeat #4 and #6 a few times.
8) take a look and your filler should now be nice and new looking!
9) Walk back to your desk (or wherever the juices are) and refill your cartomizer ala the video below (thank you to kc0cmp)
[You should be able to easily put 25+ drops in a good cleaned out cartomizer. Some people report up to 32 drops! I average around 28.)
10) Pop the o-ring and cap back on, and start vaping.

Notes: Do NOT use soap or alcohol in this process. If you want to use alcohol for some reason you must let it completely evaporate overnight or risk damage to the filler and possibly yourself. There is no reason to use it, you will be amazed how white and fluffy your rinsed out cartomizer is if you follow those simple steps!!

Now then All thanks be to kc0cmp for the following video on how to open, refill, and recap your cartomizer for those of you who do not yet know how:

YouTube - How-to guide to refilling KR808D-1 or Vapor King cartomizers

Take care all and I hope this helps someone. :)

- Hap

HaploVoss

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Rogersville, MO - USA
Great video. What I seem to do is always keep the cart at least 50% filled. Do you know if there is any reason not to do it this way?

Also, does anyone have a good suggestion of how to clean the battery? On mine, the groove around the outside is completely full of crap and it is making the draw harder.

No reason I can think of... sounds like a great way to keep your cartoz from burning up too soon to me :)

Easiest way I have found is to get a box of plain ol' wooden toothpicks. Get some warm water with some baking soda dissolved in it... dip a toothick in then stab it into that groove and work it around digging that crap out.

Don't overdo the soda water, you don't want it to get down inside the battery. You may want to stick a bit of toothpick down into the battery hole just a little bit and break it off while you clean so no water gets in there, then remove when you're done.

but anyway, several toothpicks later you should be nice and clean. The wood is soft and the point will stick way down in there, then 'squish' and expand letting you work out all the crud.

Maybe someone has a much easier quicker way??

Take care,
- Hap

oldlady

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Charleston, SC
Do you find that cartomizers give more vapor after they are refilled than when you first receive them in the starter kit?

I just received my first e-cigarette (KR808D-1) starter kit last week. I love the e-cigarette, but the amount of vapor is not consistent, and it tastes kind of odd. Will this get better after I refill them?

ALC

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Ohio
I've had a couple cartos, just recently, have some of the white filling, in the center pull up and stick out. Do you know what causes this, and should I bother trying to refill them or are they just duds. I just put them to the side and I am waiting to hear if anyone has had the same thing happen. I think I just over vaped them. I am not sure, that is just a guess.

Pawpaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
North Texas
I've had a couple cartos, just recently, have some of the white filling, in the center pull up and stick out. Do you know what causes this, and should I bother trying to refill them or are they just duds. I just put them to the side and I am waiting to hear if anyone has had the same thing happen. I think I just over vaped them. I am not sure, that is just a guess.

I've refilled a few that look like that. When vaping the refill, I can't tell any difference between them and the "perfect" cartos.

Stehle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Sunny Florida! U.S.A.
I thought this was a novel & easy method...

Guess what?..... IT WORKED! :thumbs:

Originally posted in another forum by the video's author from Australia Dogsbody. :thumbs:

CCFM! Enjoy! :)
object%3E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp8cp9vMD58

Last edited:

Fishin' Cricket

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Missouri, USA
I thought this was a novel & easy method...

Guess what?..... IT WORKED! :thumbs:

Originally posted in another forum by the video's author from Australia Dogsbody. :thumbs:

CCFM! Enjoy! :)
object%3E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp8cp9vMD58

When you use this method, I assume there is some cleaning necessary? Wiping juice out of the battery end or off of the mouthpiece end?

Last edited:

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
I realize this is an old thread, but I wouldn't advise refilling a cartomizer that has a damp filler inside. I think it's best to place the carto in front of a fan for a couple-three days. When I vape a carto that's still wet inside, I get water on my tongue and have to spit it out after every vape. It's a miserable experience.

Dry out the carto filler first! Use a fan to dry them for the least amount of hassle. Also, people have had success with drying them in an oven for a few minutes at about 175 to 225 degrees (one person turns off the oven after 20 minutes and leaves the cartos in the oven overnight) or you can rubberband the cartos and throw them into an old sock (tie the sock in front of the cartos) into the dryer with some towels, etc.

TJVapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2010
USA
Has anybody had any trouble with the carto filler not absorbing the juice after being cleaned with water? I soaked my cartomizers in hot/not quite boiling water for a few minutes and then blew them out and let them dry. When I put the juice in it seemed to drip straight out the battery end. I was careful to put the juice on the filler and not in the middle, but the filler wasn't absorbing the juice. So far I have tried 2 cartos that aren't wicking up the juice. They won't vape.

edit to subscribe

mary_d

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2010
Indiana
www.parkesvaping.com
Has anybody had any trouble with the carto filler not absorbing the juice after being cleaned with water? I soaked my cartomizers in hot/not quite boiling water for a few minutes and then blew them out and let them dry. When I put the juice in it seemed to drip straight out the battery end. I was careful to put the juice on the filler and not in the middle, but the filler wasn't absorbing the juice. So far I have tried 2 cartos that aren't wicking up the juice. They won't vape.

edit to subscribe

I have the same exact problem and would love to know if there is a way to fix this.

UPDATE:
Decided before I threw these carto's away I would give em one more try but this time on my PT and guess what it is working it is vaping like crazy!......Decided to through it on the batt to give it a try again after the PT and now it is working with it to!

Last edited:

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan

edit to subscribe

How long did you allow them to dry before filling them? How did you dry them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread