Vaping & Bleeding Gums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foofighter

Apr 9, 2012
London UK
Hi all,

6 weeks into vaping now and have all but stopped smoking cigarettes now ( just the occasional sneaky one when i'm out )

I've experienced the menthol mouth syndrome but also another possible side effect which is bleeding gums. has anyone else had this issue? Why I think it's related is that just when I stopped smoking and started vaping I went to the dentist who gave me a clean bill of health for both teeth and gums so just wondering whether the two could be connected. Hoping i'm wrong but always good to check.

Thanks
FF

bodrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Michigan
At my last dental cleaning (early March) I commented to the dentist that despite decades of smoking and sometimes lacksadaisical dental care, my gums never bleed at all. He told me smoking inhibits bleeding - so perhaps it's not the presence of vaping, but the absence of smoking, that is the culprit?

I'm not a dentist, don't play one on TV, so take what I say with a grain of salt but perhaps something to look into.

leftfeild

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Scotland
Since smoking reduces blood flow, you can have gum disease that doesn't show until your circulation improves (as will happen when you quit smoking). It's not that quitting smoking caused it, it's that it's more noticeable with better blood flow.

Bleeding gums is usually a sign of gum disease. I would say to use mouthwash if you don't and brush your tongue.

One other factor that is related to vaping is having a drier mouth - it affects the ph balance in your mouth to have less saliva and encourages germs. You could try chewing sugar free gum to keep saliva levels up and increase your water levels in general.

My references are my mother and two sisters who are dental nurses and don't let me hear the end of it :facepalm:

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
Actually, bleeding is mainly associated with gingivitis which is the early stage of periodontal disease and is reversible with good oral hygiene provided poor oral hygiene was the initial cause. There are several things that can cause gingivitis:
Improper or lack of brushing and flossing
hormonal imbalance
medications
dry mouth/mouth breathing
pregnancy
poor diet/nutrition/lack of sleep
trauma...............just off the top of my head.
Stay away from alcohol mouthwashes they are too drying. Since you just had an appointment with your DDS I would suspect gingivitis. Up your brushing and flossing to at least 2 X day and try a warm salt water rinse after and see if that helps. In this day and age you don't see much Vit. C deficiency (Scurvy) but I would get a time release one to help with the healing process as Vit C is a building block to repairing tissue. I am not a DDS but I have been a RDH (Registered Dental Hygienist) for about 35 yrs. If the bleeding persists more than 10 days I would suggest another visit to your DDS/Hygienist for further examination.

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Actually, bleeding is mainly associated with gingivitis which is the early stage of periodontal disease and is reversible with good oral hygiene provided poor oral hygiene was the initial cause. There are several things that can cause gingivitis:
Improper or lack of brushing and flossing
hormonal imbalance
medications
dry mouth/mouth breathing
pregnancy
poor diet/nutrition/lack of sleep
trauma...............just off the top of my head.
Stay away from alcohol mouthwashes they are too drying. Since you just had an appointment with your DDS I would suspect gingivitis. Up your brushing and flossing to at least 2 X day and try a warm salt water rinse after and see if that helps. In this day and age you don't see much Vit. C deficiency (Scurvy) but I would wouldn't getting a time release one to help with the healing process as Vit C is a building block to repairing tissue. I am not a DDS but I have been a RDH (Registered Dental Hygienist) for about 35 yrs. If the bleeding persists more than 10 days I would suggest another visit to your DDS/Hygienist for further examination.

I was going to try and say this, but couldn't have said it better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread