best 5v mini usb pass through

Status
Not open for further replies.

codfish124

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Lakewood Co USA
So i wanted to make a mini usb pass though but could not find a female mini usb port. So i set out to find the cheapest thing i could with a mini port, found a thing called digipower at radio shack for $12 thinking i could just use the mini female port. but wait there's a battery....... so i did some test and it has 5V coming out of the out side solders on the out going port steady even when charging. so a pass through and a battery.

here is a link to the digipower thing i used Digipower Solutions JS1-V3 Jumpstart Instant Cell Phone Charger - JS1-V3 - Buy.com

with just enuff room in the cap for a switch and a atty conection i set out this is what i got not to pretty but works like a champ. ( charging the battery to full now to see how long the thing will last when not plugged in.

codfish124

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Lakewood Co USA
did my first test will update with progress this was the first charge on the battery lasted for about 4 hr of preity constant vaping except when i ate. that was just on battery mode not pass through. so far much better than my 6v mods haven't burnt any juice im liking 5v better.

here is a video....sorry it kinda sucks not much of a youtuber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbEgeB02gxo

Last edited:

kc0cmp

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Harlingen TX. USA
So i wanted to make a mini usb pass though but could not find a female mini usb port. So i set out to find the cheapest thing i could with a mini port, found a thing called digipower at radio shack for $12 thinking i could just use the mini female port. but wait there's a battery....... so i did some test and it has 5V coming out of the out side solders on the out going port steady even when charging. so a pass through and a battery.

here is a link to the digipower thing i used Digipower Solutions JS1-V3 Jumpstart Instant Cell Phone Charger - JS1-V3 - Buy.com

with just enuff room in the cap for a switch and a atty conection i set out this is what i got not to pretty but works like a champ. ( charging the battery to full now to see how long the thing will last when not plugged in.

I hate to ask the obvious question, but where's the battery? uses a flatpack like a cell? darn thing is see-through and i cant see the batt LOL. any idea on the batts ratings? might be marked on the batt..that'd be super helpful, particularly if it's a 3.7ish volt that's being stepped up to 5, as we could bypass that and make a longer lasting 3.7v device as well with it!
TIA

codfish124

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Lakewood Co USA
i could do a tut may take me a a few days. id have to make a new one i didn't think i would turn out good so i didn't take pictures :(.

the battery is under the little board. the battery dose not have any marking it is a flat cell ill take a look at the voltage coming out of the next one i make this one is epoxied together.

Jason365

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
ATX

kc0cmp

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Harlingen TX. USA

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Does it say the mah rating of the battery? That is sweet.

Also on the "Needs 1 amp!" stuff, I am currently vaping on a homemade passthrough off my computer, and if it's only putting out 500ma, that is PLENTY!

It really isn't. Either your computer is supplying the amperage demanded or the vape is pretty weak.

At 5v typical current requirements are:

901 - 1.67 amps
801 - 1.42 amps
410 - 1.85 amps
510 - 2.17 amps

When the power source cannot meet the current demand, voltage drops when put under load. It's why a typical PT is quite weak compared to a 2 bat mod.

codfish124

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Lakewood Co USA
how to make a mini USB pass through with battery and built in charger.

things u need
soldering iron
wire
drill /drill bits to fit your switch / atty connector
epoxy
switch
atty connector
and the most important part the digipower i got mine at radio shack for 12.99 i think.

Digipower Solutions JS1-V3 Jumpstart Instant Cell Phone Charger in Cell Phone Batteries and Power Supplies at JR.com

not gonna go into hoe to make a atty connector there's a few how to's here already.

now that you have a digipower you need to pop the case apart. i take a small screw driver and pry at it a little.

it comes apart in 4 pieces don't lose the little black button

then i ling up the switch for hole drilling in the lid you'll probably have to modify the case a tad to get the lid to close with the switch.

this is the case mod i had to do

then with the switch in place find out where to drill the hole for the atty connector.

lock them both in place with the nuts

now take off the male mini usb port

then solder on 2 wires to the 2 out side lines ( the right one is ground so you can solder that strait to ground on the board or on the battery)

now assemble the case and the lid with all the new parts

i solder one lead of the switch right to my atty connector.

hook up wires make sure every thing fits right if you have a multimeter test for operation and voltage. fill with epoxy and vape away.

kc0cmp

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Harlingen TX. USA
It really isn't. Either your computer is supplying the amperage demanded or the vape is pretty weak.

At 5v typical current requirements are:

901 - 1.67 amps
801 - 1.42 amps
410 - 1.85 amps
510 - 2.17 amps

When the power source cannot meet the current demand, voltage drops when put under load. It's why a typical PT is quite weak compared to a 2 bat mod.

this explains a few things:
Why 801 seems to work better at higher voltage
why 510 tastes like burnt monkey .... at high voltage
why i no longer use > 3.7v batts in mods... I might make one for someone else, but prefer not to use ubervoltage myself...starts tastin like dung

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread