E cigs and airport security

Status
Not open for further replies.

clg707

Apr 2, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I'm curious if anyone has had any problems taking an e cig/digital cig thru airport security. They r so picky about what u can or cannot take thru. I don't want to have to throw away my vapor if they have issues with it. Last yr they made me throw away a new, unopened bottle of water. Just wondering if anyone knows the "rules" or regulations about this sort of thing. :unsure:

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I've flown many times with mine and have never had a problem. I usually treat bottles of juice like any other liquids and put them in a separate zip-lock bag. I have forgotten a couple of time, though and no one mentioned a thing. I did have them want to check out a device after it went through the scanner. Oddly enough, it was the pen cap eGo that looks less like an ecig or detonator than any other device. Once I told them what it was, I was on my way with no issue.

Pathfinder

Verified Member
May 19, 2012
NYC
I have had the same experiences as cyberwolf. I had a CVR in a jacket pocket and they asked to see it. They didn' know what it was and as soon as I told them I was on my way. Once at JFK and a similar experience in Europe. I usually pack most of my liquid in my checked bag and carry very little ejuice on the plane. But plastic bags with small quantities should work fine. Happy travels.

kia2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2012
USA
Carry your batteries and mods in your carry on. Separate the batteries from your mods. In addition to separating the battery from your mod, I would suggest a small label applied to it, and then packed in another clear quart sized zip bag (like with liquids) - along with any other small electronics you plan to take in your carry on, including Ipods and the like. Placed appropriately in your carry on, it isn't likely to snag too many questions, if any. Your quart size zip bag of liquids (including e-liquids) goes on the very top of your carry on, so it can be pulled out quickly and placed separately in a scanning bin at the security checkpoint. Directly underneath your liquids bag, you need to have your spare shoes - if any - that you are taking in your carry on. You do not have to remove them for scanning, but do need to leave your bag open for when it is scanned in case the security folk want to look closer. Yep, your spare shoes will be on top of your change of clean clothes. Then, directly under those spare shoes, have your quart zip bag of small electronics.

Granted, I use 808 batteries for the most part and they probably get the least double looks, but if everything is packed carefully with consideration for the security folks, there is much less chance of anyone getting suspicious of your gear. I traveled with two pcc's, 2 carry cases with 4 808's each, and two different usb/wall adapter charging units without any problem at all, packed in the quart bag along with my Nano and a hand held game. What really surprised me, though, was that I accidentally got myself into the line for the big personal nuke scanner (no one waiting in line should have tipped me off), and rather than collect everything up and go get in a different line, I went ahead and took my radiation dose - and I had an 808 in my front jeans pocket that I'd been using in the airport terminal to stealth vape and use in the restrooms. I just forgot it was in my pocket. And, no one said a word. No pat down, no sideways glance, just a "have a good flight," and I was on my way. As near as I could see, no one was concerned for my small electronics bag, either. (I wouldn't recommend the pocket pv as practice, though.)

Tezcatlipoca

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2012
Riverside, CA
I've taken an eGo on every flight I've been on in the past 3 years (numerous domestic and 3 international) and I've never had an issue. I put the eGo and a small bottle of juice (6-10 mL's of higher nic content than I normally vape) in my carry-on with pens, pencils, keys, etc. and no one has even batted an eye going through security. I put larger quantities of juice and additional PV's in the checked bag.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
I know you can only post here in New Members until you get 5 posts and the server refreshes but there is a lot of good reading here:Travel and E-Cig

I went Canada - Cuba and return and was never asked a question about e-cig. I took the Star Dust off the eGo while waiting in line and put the Star Dust in with the liquids and the battery with my keys.

Relax and Enjoy!

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I've had no problems with my gear and TSA. They have seen this stuff before.

The only comment I'll add regards spare batteries. I use an APV that uses standard cylindrical Li-ion batteries. Make sure that your spares are all safely stored in a battery case, tube or something that keeps each battery isolated from any possible external short circuit. I found that plastic pharmacy bottles can be re-used for this.

021.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread