Vaping with clove oil? (safety)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spookyelectric

May 30, 2012
Texas
I saw some 100% clove bud essential oil at the store today, so I picked it up and added about 4 or 5 drops to a pre-mixed green tea liquid I had (which didn't really taste like anything to begin with). I vaped it on the way home and enjoyed the intense clove flavor. It did sort of numb my mouth and throat like a kretek cigarette. A few hours later, I noticed I was clearing my throat a bit more than usual, also like smoking a real kretek. No mucus though, just a weird numbed feeling in the back of my throat. It made me wonder what this might do to my lungs.

This led to research on vaping with essential oils/extracts. I know eugenol (the active chemical in clove plants) is potent stuff and can probably burn your skin like cinnamon oil, but I was wondering if anyone had any more information or views about the safety of vaping clove? I have found conflicting opinions with some folks saying it's a really bad idea to others who are okay with it. I am left wondering if I should pitch out my liquid... (I suppose I'll save it for special occasions)

:?:

mjradik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2011
Columbia, MD
hmmm... dunno, but I do remember reading on a web site that sold clove flavoring that it said you should not mix at more than 5%. But this was a clove flavoring and not sure if it was pure clove oil.

I personally wouldn't chance it, and wouldn't use it. If its bad enough to burn the skin, can't imagine the damage it would cause your lungs.

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
Generally as I understand it, oil-based flavorings are not well suited for vaping. I believe you can find clove flavorings offered which are not oil based; not sure right off hand but I'd check One-Stop DIY Shop & see what you can find there. Anyway I agree with mjradik, I wouldn't risk that myself. I've been mixing my own juices for a little while now & it's very tempting to try things that seem like they *ought to* work, but I keep learning new reasons why some things which didn't seem threatening may in fact be dangerous to vape.l

Mix carefully, & Happy Vaping! :vapor:

killovicz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2010
Copenhagen
Vaping organics of any kind is harder for the longs then just vaping glycol + chemical flavours, however the effect is negligible compared to fags!!

Lately I have been vaping a lot's of organics (El Toros, Pappilon Organics & home made fruit's -->made out of organic fruit flavours in combo with chemicals with additives & the REAL fruit acid)

One thing I can tell you for sure, I ain't no going back, mate!

To compare chemical brews with organics is like compeering some cordial with a smoothly!'

----------------------------------------------

But yeah, organic are a bit like fags, you might caught a bit, especially if you take a dry blow! But if you (my theory) keep your atomizers clean then the "harshness" would be minimal, if even noticeable!

I would venture as far as to say that 90% of organic "harshness" comes from clogged atty's! I have seen Orion that have been used for vaping El Toros for some days (no more then 3), it looked like that some1 have dipped it's tip in some tar :/!

So, NEVER EVER use catromizer, keep your atty's clean -->> 12h alcohol -->> boil (deionised water) -->> repeat the process if necessary!

Last edited:

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I guess I don't have the heart to toss out an almost full 12ml bottle of liquid so I will save it for special occasions, vape it sparingly.

Armed with no more than my limited knowledge, I would not suggest throwing it out... at least not yet. I would suggest checking out the DIY section here for more information. I can't remember all I've read about this stuff so if/when in doubt about anything I often have to re-research it so I don't poison myself or blow my face off or something (not really, but I do try to be careful). I'm fairly sure you'll find the info you need in the DIY section, especially the stickies. Best of luck! :D

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Eugenol is skin and mucus membrane corrosive, like cinnamon oil. Some have problems vaping it, some do not, or do not for a while. Several postings here of problems like sores and lung pain. No surprise to me, as they are known to be damaging to tissue. Both cause issues with me. But both are still fairly popular, both in DIY and premade juices. But if you sense issues after the first vape, I personally would refrain. I have seen reported here people thinking MAYBE there may be a problem, but not big, and then suddenly the throat closes up. That is often how these things play out. The body has a way of making a decision you should have made much earlier.

spookyelectric

May 30, 2012
Texas
by the way, it's been five days and boy has the liquid "matured." Vaping it now gives the experience of inhaling the essence of a dusty spice cabinet, with perhaps a few mothballs thrown in for good measure. Almost unvapeable, but I will keep it just to have something to switch to as a novelty or emergency stash.

I think if I had used two or three drops of the clove oil instead of six or seven, it might have turned out okay. I now vape it for only about 20 minutes, before the taste overwhelms me or the creepy throat effects kick in.

killovicz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2010
Copenhagen
No need to be spooked away, if you above 30 & you don't feel any direct consistences, after vaping it!

Then just do it, if you like it!!!

--------------------------------------

You walk on the street -->> which is FULL of mutagenic particles (from Diesel cars w/o particle filters)

You walk on the street -->> which is FULL of radioactive catalyzers, 250 of 'em in ...'s alone, 250 RADIOACTIVE catalyzers among 2.5k chemicals of God knows what.. Petrol catalyzers, detergent catalyzers etc..

You walk on the street -->> which is FULL of....

---------------------------------------------

Some even put their kids on the back seat in a diesel car w/o particle filter, then come home and hype bot how vape can be dangerous...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread