Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
10 tips to avoid harsh, burnt taste on 510 atomizers

(Or, "What I've learned so far on ECF...")

These tips may work on other atomizers, as well.

1. Blow out the primer fluid on new attys

2. Two drops of liquid on the new atty, "puff & blow" until the atty takes on the flavor of the liquid

3. Don't drag too long to overheat the juice on the atty

4. Don't use too fast between draws to allow the atty to wick up more juice & cool down

5. Modify the filler (PTB or straw method) to optimize wicking and not have to top off or refill as much

6. Occasionally remove the filler and rinse it out, dry & refill

7. Certain flavors can handle a long, slow draw (tobacco, menthol, coffee, nut flavors) and certain ones taste better with a quick, deep draw (fruity, delicate, sweet flavors.)

8. Occasionally clean them. Methods to research include blowing them out, hot water rinse, boiling them in water with or without baking soda or vinegar, dry burns, coke and/or vodka baths. Research these before trying!!

9. Don't flood the atty or it may overwork it trying to vaporize the excess liquid.

10. Try different liquids & nic levels. Not all liquids are created equal. If you aren't satified with the vapor/throat hit, you may be overusing it and not allowing time for the the atty to wick & cool.

Feel free to add more tips and comments or elaborate on cleaning methods here! :D

Last edited:

ShinKun

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
Sound advice! Thanks!

I finally am getting mine down. When I was using carts it was the burning polyfill then when I started dripping it was too much juice, not enough juice, or not enough juice in the bat but yesterday and today(so far) smooth and satisfying. I don't know how I could have made it without ECF and posters like you!

Thanks again!!!

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
......8. Occasionally clean them. Methods to research include blowing them out, hot water rinse, boiling them in water with or without baking soda or vinegar, dry burns, coke and/or vodka baths. Research these before trying!!...

>

Especially research the boiling suggestion. As I understand it, some atomizers use a neoprene 'O' ring (a rubber-like grommet) that will be destroyed by boiling water.

I add a couple of drops of Everclear to whatever I'm vaping (drip-style) and vape it out like normal. When the atty runs nearly dry I wash the atty out with dish washing soap and rinse under running warm water. Blow it out, allow to dry out completely, drip new liquid and vape. This works especially well with liquids that tend to linger longer than one wants. =)

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I love my 510 for the most part, thanks for this wonderful tips as I will incorporate them. However, I have to top off a LOT as well as change my batteries 3-4 times per day. Is there a comparative brand that gives good throat hits with longer battery life?? Thanks in advance for you time.

You have accurately described the 510! Great vapor and throat hit - lousy cartridge and battery life. I find that shaking the 510 towards the LED end helps to get a little more liquid out of a cart.

I like the M401 series compared to the 510 for better catridge life and they also tend to use most of the juice in the catridge. Their batteries last a lot longer, although I am sure someone else will let you know that a big battery unit or mod is the best solution for long battery life.

VaporStyx

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2009
NC, USA
Here's one that may help:

11. Pay attention to two symptoms that you don't have enough liquid on your atomizer: Taste and temperature. If the liquid suddenly tastes a bit "off", or if the outside of the 510 where the atomizer is situated gets a bit hot (warm is normal), you need to add more liquid. Alternately, for those using carts seeing one of these symptoms, allow more time for wicking between puffs.

It takes a bit of practice, but never letting your e-cig run dry (or even semi-dry) really helps prevent that bad taste.

Last edited:

VaporStyx

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2009
NC, USA
I love my 510 for the most part, thanks for this wonderful tips as I will incorporate them. However, I have to top off a LOT as well as change my batteries 3-4 times per day. Is there a comparative brand that gives good throat hits with longer battery life?? Thanks in advance for you time.

Have you tried getting a PCC for your 510? One Charged PCC and two 510 batteries lasts about a day to a day and a half for me, and I vape pretty heavily.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org

Have you tried getting a PCC for your 510? One Charged PCC and two 510 batteries lasts about a day to a day and a half for me, and I vape pretty heavily.
Also, topping off a lot is a sign that your filler isn't wicking properly. Do #5 to help with that.

Yes, changing batteries is a pain - but it it really more work than pulling out a cigarette, finding you lighter and lighting it?

A PCC keeps a charged battery always at hand. If you vape a lot at home, try a USB passthrough. I keep my laptop nearby with it plugged in. I only use batteries when I go out. But they make passthroughs for your car charger, too!

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
8. Occasionally clean them. Methods to research include blowing them out, hot water rinse, boiling them in water with or without baking soda or vinegar, dry burns, coke and/or vodka baths. Research these before trying!!

About every other night I run my atomizer under how water for about a minute right before I go to bed. Dry it, roll up a Kleenex or paper towel, push it in the opening (DO NOT TWIST) to draw out the moisture, and let it sit overnight. About once a week I give it a few hours to soak in diet cola (helps dissolve the water soluble ingredients in e-juice). The next day on my drive to work the vapor is so wonderful it makes me want to giggle.

It's just simple everyday (or so) maintenance the leads to happy vaping. Nothing far fetched. Nothing to mod. Just rinse out the old droplets of e-juice that have dried up and crystallized for improved air flow and vapor production.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Keep telling yourself atomizers are supposed to be disposable and don't get too attached to them. If you get a good month or two of use out of them they've more then done their job. How much do they cost really? A pack of cigarettes? Two?
P.P.S. I fully expect to dispose of an atomizer after a month. But my last atomizer is still working so well I don't have the heart to let it go.

MHR7331

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
SoCal
10 tips to avoid harsh, burnt taste on 510 atomizers

(Or, "What I've learned so far on ECF...")

These tips may work on other atomizers, as well.

1. Blow out the primer fluid on new attys

2. Two drops of liquid on the new atty, "puff & blow" until the atty takes on the flavor of the liquid

3. Don't drag too long to overheat the juice on the atty

4. Don't use too fast between draws to allow the atty to wick up more juice & cool down

5. Modify the filler (PTB or straw method) to optimize wicking and not have to top off or refill as much

6. Occasionally remove the filler and rinse it out, dry & refill

7. Certain flavors can handle a long, slow draw (tobacco, menthol, coffee, nut flavors) and certain ones taste better with a quick, deep draw (fruity, delicate, sweet flavors.)

9. Don't flood the atty or it may overwork it trying to vaporize the excess liquid.

10. Try different liquids & nic levels. Not all liquids are created equal. If you aren't satified with the vapor/throat hit, you may be overusing it and not allowing time for the the atty to wick & cool.

Feel free to add more tips and comments or elaborate on cleaning methods here! :D

No. 8 should be more like this: 8. Occasionally clean them. Methods to research include blowing them out, hot water rinse, boiling them in water with or without baking soda or vinegar, dry burns, coke and/or vodka baths. Research these before trying!!

I was having a hell of a time yesterday trying to get decent vapor out of a new atty. The draw wasn't really too bad, there was a new 18650 battery in there, and the atty was getting heated... thought it could be a dud, so I ohmed it out... 2.2 ohms. Weird. I had left it battery side up to drain overnight, so I couldn't understand why it was doing so poorly. Looked pretty clean inside, but decided to blow it out anyway, and a huge blob of liquid plopped out. It's been working great since.

I think there's a greater learning curve on e-cigs than other forays into inhalational recreation I've been through....... :lol:

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
No. 8 should be more like this: 8. Occasionally clean them. Methods to research include blowing them out, hot water rinse, boiling them in water with or without baking soda or vinegar, dry burns, coke and/or vodka baths. Research these before trying!!

I was having a hell of a time yesterday trying to get decent vapor out of a new atty. The draw wasn't really too bad, there was a new 18650 battery in there, and the atty was getting heated... thought it could be a dud, so I ohmed it out... 2.2 ohms. Weird. I had left it battery side up to drain overnight, so I couldn't understand why it was doing so poorly. Looked pretty clean inside, but decided to blow it out anyway, and a huge blob of liquid plopped out. It's been working great since.

I think there's a greater learning curve on e-cigs than other forays into inhalational recreation I've been through....... :lol:

We've all had our share of d'oh moments. We never knew how easy "smoking really was!

1. Light the end opposite the filter.
2. Inhale from the end with the filter (classic noob mistake).
3. Don't forget to exhale.
4. Occasionally tap ashes off end.
5. Dispose of cigarette when you smell flesh on fingers burning.
6. Repeat until death.

Pretty boring stuff. I like a challenge!

--Prof Daffy

boxhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Chico, california
ptb= pyramid tea bag
straw method= tiny coffee stirer in side of cart to allow e-liquid to fill faster and fill to the bottom...i use the straw mothed in some of my carts, 901, 801, 510, some, is so i can see if there is a difference, and will put it all when i find some coffee stirers ( not leaving the house till i have to0

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI

I recently received a couple of the long 510 batteries (I believe they originally came from TW). They are wonderful! Probably about 50% to 75% longer life than the standard 510 units.

Yes, they take equally long to charge, and they have a completely different feel "in the hand", and they don't fit in the PCC (without modification).. but they have a substantially longer "life".

Reboot

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Southern Maine
We've all had our share of d'oh moments. We never knew how easy "smoking really was!

1. Light the end opposite the filter.
2. Inhale from the end with the filter (classic noob mistake).
3. Don't forget to exhale.
4. Occasionally tap ashes off end.
5. Dispose of cigarette when you smell flesh on fingers burning.
6. Repeat until death.

Pretty boring stuff. I like a challenge!

--Prof Daffy

Can't even tell you how many times I've gotten #1 wrong. :cool:
Especially on nights spent drinking...

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
Can't even tell you how many times I've gotten #1 wrong. :cool:
Especially on nights spent drinking...

What's even worse is when you go to light you last analog in the pack thinking you have plenty of time to get to the store and light the filter rendering it useless.

That used to start a cussing streak.

Oh how I miss it.

MarthaT

Moved On
Jul 23, 2009
  • Deleted by AngusATAT
  • Reason: spam
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread