510 atty rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason365

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
ATX
Got my supplies, 4 dismantled 510 atties. Here I go. This will be a slow ongoing project, as I try out the ways to wrap the coil and how much silica to use for wicking. Then I will reassemble them as best as i can.

I have a small issue getting the red power lead out of the ceramic cup. So I am running the power leads out one side of the atty through the air holes. I dont know if it will affect performance. But I am going to do it like this till I figure out how to take that one lead out.
It is glued into a tiny ceramic tube connected to the cup. I soaked the cups in alcohol all night and it still wont budge. I am trying to push it out with a needle.

Here is the important stuff.
Tight woven 3/8 Silica Rope (fibergalss seal) McMaster-Carr
36 g Nichrome Wire Nichrome Wire
I Used a small piece of silica rope taped to a needle for form then to a inch and a half of 36 g nichrome wire and made 6 wraps around the silica rope. It test 2.7 ohms on my meeter. Took it off the needle and trimmed the excess rope with some scissors, It cut really easy. And I stuffed it into the cup.
Just realized I am out of solder. I also need some super small heat shink tubing to shield my joints coming out the side of the cup.

Thats all I got, I will update as I make progress.
also got blurry cell phone pics of the needle and rope coil cant post till tonight.

I credit carlos49 for links to parts and helping me wrap my head around this. thanks carlos, and all the other people in the atty scene.

Update.. I put a drop of juice in the cup and touched the leads to my home made 5v passthrough at work, and it Vapes. So all i need to do is solder the power leads back and put it together. Sweet.. picture this. Me holding this little white thing with smoke coming off it and put putting my face to it and inhaling. I'm glad i have a private office. lol
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...s-510-atty-rebuild-picture3079-image-073.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...s-510-atty-rebuild-picture3077-image-072.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ms-510-atty-rebuild-picture3079-image-073.jpg

Jason

Last edited:

vipervma

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
www.mye-cigshack.com
Got my supplies, 4 dismantled 510 atties. Here I go. This will be a slow ongoing project, as I try out the ways to wrap the coil and how much silica to use for wicking. Then I will reassemble them as best as i can.

I have a small issue getting the red power lead out of the ceramic cup. So I am running the power leads out one side of the atty through the air holes. I dont know if it will affect performance. But I am going to do it like this till I figure out how to that that one lead out.
It is glued into a tiny ceramic tube connected to the cup. I soaked the cups in alcohol all night and it still wont budge. I am trying to push it out with a needle.

Here is the important stuff.
Tight woven 3/8 Silica Rope (fibergalss seal) McMaster-Carr
36 g Nichrome Wire Nichrome Wire
I Used a small piece of silica rope taped to a needle for form then to a inch and a half of 36 g nichrome wire and made 6 wraps around the silica rope. It test 2.7 ohms on my meeter. Took it off the needle and trimmed the excess rope with some scissors, It cut really easy. And I stuffed it into the cup.
Just realized I am out of solder. I also some super small heat shink tubing to shield my joints coming out the side of the cup.

Thats all I got, I will update as I make progress.
also got blurry cell phone pics of the needle and rope coil cant post till tonight.

I credit carlos49 for links to parts and helping me wrap my head around this. thanks carlos, and all the other people in the atty scene.

Jason

Nice to see someone else getting this down too Thanks to Carlos49's excellent help. I now rebuild my RN4081 Attys as well. Carlos49 is a great teacher. Congrats to you and Thanks again to carlos49.

Jason365

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
ATX
How do you take the 510 apart. I got about 20 510's that I would love to rebuild

I used a battery connector from an old mod, screw the atty to that. Hold the batt connector with some pliers, heat the outside of the atty with a lighter by the threads where the connector is pressed into the atty tube. Grab the tube with a wrapped up paper towel as to not get burned. Then bend and twist and pull till it comes apart. not hard at all. The wires inside that atty are very short you may break them but it does not matter if your going to rebuild it. Once you have the bottom off the atty, Use a small flathead screwdriver to push on the metal ring that surrounds the metal atty wicking stuff. it should just push out with out much trouble. carfully unwrap the metal wick from around the atty and remember where the pieces went so you can put it back the same way if you rebuild it.

Jason

Jason365

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
ATX
Crap it just died, I took it apart I think it shorted out on one of the solder points. The nichrome is fine, But I do need to wrap more silica rope in the wick, it shrank up and looked much smaller and charred for just about an hour of heavy 6 v vaping.

I will build it back up In the morning. Gotta watch some collage Football:p

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread