Vaping in Public places indoor. Do you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I've thought this over a lot. Here's my take on it and what I do:

In a restaurant, for example. They either have a policy of no vaping, vaping, or no policy at all.

If their policy is no-vaping, I'll comply if it's posted, just like I complied with no-smoking signs that were posted before the a blanket law made them unnecessary. Absent a law banning vaping indoors, it's their obligation to make any prohibition known to me before I order my meal. Otherwise, they have lured me there under false pretenses and failed to inform me of the conditions of my visit.
Absent any indication that vaping isn't allowed, I will assume it is. If I'm informed after I've started vaping, I'll leave and let them know why.

If they have a policy allowing vaping, it does no good to ask permission, so it's a moot point.

If they have no policy and no indication one way or the other, I generally won't ask. If it's crowded, I may not vape at all. Or, I'll ask a manager/owner, NEVER staff. There's no upside for a server if they give permission, only a downside if management disagrees with that decision. Staff doesn't formulate policy and will likely take the safe route and say no. So, I will either ask someone in a position of authority, or I will vape openly, but not flagrantly. I will ensure that the server sees me vaping. They are then free to ignore it if no other customer complains. If it turns out that the management is against it, their ... is covered. They didn't say I could vape.

Unless you are in a position to influence the creation of a policy where none existed before, there is no upside to asking permission. There is no upside to asking permission from staff in any event. If there are complaints from other customers or management, staff won't go to bat to defend their decision. It's provisional anyway and how long it lasts depends on if anyone else in the building complains.
I pretty much agree with all of that, which is why I said I take it on a case-by-case basis.
My only difference is that I ask first, because nobody posts such a policy.
:)

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Some months ago, the FAA prohibited vaping on airplanes. I don't know if the regulation only applies to domestic flights or airlines and how it's enforced, who is responsible or how strictly it's enforced. I imagine it varies by airline. Technically, though, it's prohibited on domestic flights at least.
Are you sure?

I thought they were still in the stage where they were taking comments on this proposal.
Of course, I've had a bit to drink tonight, and may well have forgotten any such conclusive rulings.

Last edited:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Are you sure?

I thought they were still in the stage where they were taking comments on this proposal.
Of course, I've had a bit to drink tonight, and may well have forgotten any such conclusive rulings.
I wouldn't stake my life or freedom on it, but I'm pretty sure it was ruled on a while back. I seem to remember having heard it from a reliable enough source that, when I heard it, I breathed a sigh of relief that I don't fly much. I could be wrong, but I'd do some research on it before I flew again. It would suck to be sneak vaping in the lavatory and then find out it would have been o.k. to vape in my seat. Of course it would suck even worse to get arrested or something.

MyKosmo

Moved On
Apr 16, 2012
My entire staff makes it a point to vape in public places, especially indoors. We throw "Conversion Parties" once a month. When we are asked questions by people who see us vaping, and those questions center on what we're doing rather than "Why are smoking! Put that out" (which happens on occasion) and if they smoke and have an interest of getting off analogs they get invited to our party (we limit it to 20 people). We supply disposables and we each kick in some of our own stock and hardware so that people can try a whole bunch of flavors and ways to vape. It's a lot of fun. We don't do it to make money, because our intention is to help the 43 million American smokers switch to eCigs, or simply stop.

Of the collective public places where we have vaped only one female teenager tried to get a manager at a grocery store to make me stop vaping my eCig (a normal cigarette-type set up). Other than that, I've vaped in my doctor's offices, in a hospital (3 times), grocery stores and restaurants. No one has ever told me to put it away. I've recruited a few dozen to come to our parties as well.

My brother, and partner in Spinfuel, has vaped in public in New Hampshire and it's about 50/50 chance of being told to stop. I live in South Florida and people here seem to know what they are much more than in NH. We need to vape in public to get people used to seeing it. Tobacco cigarettes have been so vilified over the past 20 years that when an anti-smoker sees someone smoking analogs they are swift with the evil eye. We need to overcome that.

sizemore2000

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
I vape everywhere. You can't stealth with an extended provari with a xl carto tank.

I either get ignored, or get the "what is that" questions.

Maybe invest in a stealth pv, or if u don't mind answering questions, just keep on vaping. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

TigerLadyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Garland, TX
With the exception of the section that I have in bold red, this is exactly how I handle vaping in places other than my own private home, car, etc. I am a polite vaper, but I am a heavy vaper and I will vape wherever vaping is allowed, or at least not banned. As far as the part that I have bolded in red, shop/eatery places absolutely do have the right to ask you not to vape in thier establishment and I will comply with those wishes. I rather doubt that I would just up and leave in the midst of an ordered meal if I were asked not to vape - but I likely would not return to that establishment in the future, either.

~Tiger

I've thought this over a lot. Here's my take on it and what I do:

In a restaurant, for example. They either have a policy of no vaping, vaping, or no policy at all.

If their policy is no-vaping, I'll comply if it's posted, just like I complied with no-smoking signs that were posted before the a blanket law made them unnecessary. Absent a law banning vaping indoors, it's their obligation to make any prohibition known to me before I order my meal. Otherwise, they have lured me there under false pretenses and failed to inform me of the conditions of my visit.
Absent any indication that vaping isn't allowed, I will assume it is. If I'm informed after I've started vaping, I'll leave and let them know why.

If they have a policy allowing vaping, it does no good to ask permission, so it's a moot point.

If they have no policy and no indication one way or the other, I generally won't ask. If it's crowded, I may not vape at all. Or, I'll ask a manager/owner, NEVER staff. There's no upside for a server if they give permission, only a downside if management disagrees with that decision. Staff doesn't formulate policy and will likely take the safe route and say no. So, I will either ask someone in a position of authority, or I will vape openly, but not flagrantly. I will ensure that the server sees me vaping. They are then free to ignore it if no other customer complains. If it turns out that the management is against it, their ... is covered. They didn't say I could vape.

Unless you are in a position to influence the creation of a policy where none existed before, there is no upside to asking permission. There is no upside to asking permission from staff in any event. If there are complaints from other customers or management, staff won't go to bat to defend their decision. It's provisional anyway and how long it lasts depends on if anyone else in the building complains.

I'm histrionic as all-get-out, so I thrive off the fact that people give me funny looks whenever I vape in public. Every time somebody shoots me a dirty look, or edges to move their children away ("Why yes, even though you are thirty feet away, that extra foot is the difference between my vapor killing them and their safety."), a tingle runs down my spine as I get this sense of satisfaction out of it all.

It's terrible, really.

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
I'm histrionic as all-get-out, so I thrive off the fact that people give me funny looks whenever I vape in public. Every time somebody shoots me a dirty look, or edges to move their children away ("Why yes, even though you are thirty feet away, that extra foot is the difference between my vapor killing them and their safety."), a tingle runs down my spine as I get this sense of satisfaction out of it all.

It's terrible, really.

Well, I was at the Barnes & Noble in the exact same shopping mall as the California Pizza Kitchen. I was casually vaping while reading excerpts from a book. I purposefully vaped in next to a woman and her children. When I went to the cafe, I intentionally took a puff while waiting for my beverage as well. We need to normalize vaping in whatever ways we can, people. I can't stress that enough.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Every time somebody shoots me a dirty look, or edges to move their children away...
People like that piss me off whether I am vaping or not.
They act like their kids are the precious offspring of the angels themselves.

I jumped off roofs when I was a kid.
I jumped off bridges when I was a kid.
I jumped my bike over burning haystacks when I was a kid.

Okay, not really on the haystacks thing.

I really dislike all of this mamby-pamby overprotection we see these days.
And it is these very same people who are feeding the nanny government and giving them the permission to screw us all.

Anyway, there, I said it.

Last edited:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
With the exception of the section that I have in bold red, this is exactly how I handle vaping in places other than my own private home, car, etc. I am a polite vaper, but I am a heavy vaper and I will vape wherever vaping is allowed, or at least not banned. As far as the part that I have bolded in red, shop/eatery places absolutely do have the right to ask you not to vape in thier establishment and I will comply with those wishes. I rather doubt that I would just up and leave in the midst of an ordered meal if I were asked not to vape - but I likely would not return to that establishment in the future, either.

~Tiger

I agree that a private owner has a right to ban vaping in their establishment. And I won't defy a ban. But I expect to be informed of it unless the law covers it and, then, it would be assumed.

You may not remember before all the indoor smoking bans. A lot of places had already banned smoking and, if they did, they had a prominent "no smoking" sign on the door or window or somewhere. As a vaper, I expect the same courtesy they gave smokers back then. If they don't have it posted, I'll assume it's allowed, just like you could assume smoking was allowed back in the day. My default position is not to assume that it's prohibited unless otherwise posted. My assumption is just the opposite. In the absence of a sign permitting it, I don't just assume gum chewing or carrying a can of soda is prohibited. Same thing. You don't want me vaping in your place, then tell me. That is your responsibility. There's no reason in the world I should be expected to just assume vaping is prohibited.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread