York County, PA, to ban e-cigs in public housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
York, PA
Residents protest proposed smoking ban in York Housing Authority homes - The York Daily Record

The article, in today's York Daily Record newspaper, talks about banning smoking in public housing. Near the end of the article there's a rather bizarre question and answer about the scope of the law:

Resident: What about Glaucoma and other medical conditions that require residents to smoke?

Official: Smoking ......... is never permitted in public housing. Smokeless tobacco will still be permitted, but electronic cigarettes will also be banned.

Another link in the article -- http://yorkhousingauthority.com/files/2012 Smoke Free policy.pdf -- leads to the official rules from the housing authority itself. The rules mention "smoking" is banned. The closest the rules come to defining "smoking," is:

7. For the health and safety of the Housing Authority employees and their representatives, no resident shall have any type of tobacco or related product burning at such time as any employee or representative of the Housing Authority enters and remains in their housing unit. If any resident refuses to put out the burning tobacco or related product prior to the employee or representative entering the unit, or if the resident lights a tobacco or related product while an employee or representative remains in the apartment, the employee or representative shall vacate the apartment immediately and not return until such time as there is no longer any tobacco or related product burning. This may result in a delay of services to the unit/apartment.

Note the use of the word, "burning" throughout the entire paragraph.

It seems the housing authority has never actually seen an e-cig.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Residents protest proposed smoking ban in York Housing Authority homes - The York Daily Record

The article, in today's York Daily Record newspaper, talks about banning smoking in public housing. Near the end of the article there's a rather bizarre question and answer about the scope of the law:

Another link in the article -- http://yorkhousingauthority.com/files/2012 Smoke Free policy.pdf -- leads to the official rules from the housing authority itself. The rules mention "smoking" is banned. The closest the rules come to defining "smoking," is:

Note the use of the word, "burning" throughout the entire paragraph.

It seems the housing authority has never actually seen an e-cig.

Maybe they think we use batteries to set fire to tobacco.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Why do all the ignorant arrogant nitwits go into legislation? Where are the smart ones?
Here's my take on it...

There are probably plenty of smart and well-meaning folks that go into politics.
You'll find them at the lower levels of government, such as City Councils and the like.

Their bad decisions can often be put down to ignorance, and lack of time to research the fundamentals of each and every issue.
And media brain-washing, and trusted sources of information that are often very misleading and even deceptive.

This is why CASAA (and those of us who support them) have been able to have such an impact at those levels.

CASAA, and those vapors who care enough to write letters and appear in person when possible are the ones making a difference.
Education can often go a long way in these venues, for these people are often well-meaning at this point.

And I hope as we get to be a larger force, we will not only continue to do so, but become even more effective.

But sadly, in my opinion, an honest and well-intentioned politician can not get very far in the political arena under most circumstances.
The system is built on compromise, give-and-take, and scratching backs.

In other words, it is completely corrupted.

And then there are those who get into politics knowing all these things.
And in fact, looking forward to them, and counting on them.

They are very likely also quite smart most of the time, but they never were well-intentioned.
They are the ones that move up the ranks, the ones that advance, because they are working with the system.

It seems unlikely to me that the system was purposely designed this way.
It's just that human nature tends to make the system this way.

And really, I think that rule applies to pretty much every political system on the face of the earth.
From the beginning of time.

I really hope I'm wrong, because this is not a conclusion I enjoy having arrived at.

Last edited:

Eric A. Blair

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2011
Democratic Peoples Republic of NJ
OPEN LETTER TO BIG PHARMA FRONT GROUPS...

Dear ASH, ANR, CTFK:

I don't want to inadvertently help you in your goal of enriching your benefactors peddling their gums and patches. You are pros and know that what you are doing is a joke. You have to find different tricks to coerce vapers to buy your sponsors products.

This is unenforceable. Ecigs are odorless you dumbasses. Your model legislation is a joke. I live in NJ where your pharma buddies passed a ban and I COULD vape in my office all day. I don't. I go outside in the rain and cold. I only chew Nicorette in my office.

Find some different lies to keep your six figure job and keep paying the lease on your Mercedes Benz E350.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'll call the York Housing Authority next week to resolve this discrepency (and stupidity of trying to ban e-cig use in housing).
Thanks for bumping this, because I forgot I was going to call them...

Mailing Address:
York Housing Authority
31 South Broad Street
York, PA 17403

Phone: (717) 845-2601
Fax: (717) 845-9251
TDD Phone: (717) 846-9157

TNT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
York, PA
An update. Richard D. Fox, Executive Director of the York Housing Authority wrote a letter to the editor that was published on the York Daily Record website: Letter: Why the York Housing Authority is snuffing out smoking - The York Daily Record

Part of it concerns the authority's decision to ban e-cigs. I will leave his words speak for themselves:

Electronic cigarettes hardly just admit water vapor. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration have found that electronic cigarettes contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze. The nicotine and chemicals affect the breathing of the person inhaling the cigarette and their chemicals cause second-hand vapor that has not been proven to be safe for other people. Australia, Canada, Israel and Mexico have banned electronic cigarettes.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
All the rest of second-hand tobacco smoke content issues aside ... do we have any decent nicotine content in second-hand vapor research yet that we can cite? Anyone have any links?
I think the post above yours is probably the best.
There are others I think, but there are some questions about them.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
An update. Richard D. Fox, Executive Director of the York Housing Authority wrote a letter to the editor that was published on the York Daily Record website: Letter: Why the York Housing Authority is snuffing out smoking - The York Daily Record

Part of it concerns the authority's decision to ban e-cigs. I will leave his words speak for themselves:

Thank you for posting this. I'd like to speak with you. Please call me the second you get this. I've PMed you my number.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread