Positive effects of vaping vs smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

subdude

Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hello everyone. Three months ago I was a pack-a-day smoker. Started vaping and haven't touched a cig since. In those few weeks I noticed a few positive effects from vaping (other than the risks associated with inhaling smoke). First, my mood has been rather mellower more often. As I cut down on my nic intake (6-12mg on average), I seem to not get irratable as often as when I was smoking. That craving for a cig when I couldn't have one was usually the cause. Now if I feel my mood degrading, I just take a pull or two of vape and I'm good to go.
Second, my wallet is relatively fatter. While the initial investment (ego starter kit for transport, and SB for home use) was high, it still was less than I spent on cigs in two months.
And third, my sense of smell has increased. This is both positive and negative, as I now smell bad odors more easily:blink:
Glad to have found this forum. I learned a wealth of info and you all have helped me make a wise decision to quit smoking.

subdude

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
Hello everyone. Three months ago I was a pack-a-day smoker. Started vaping and haven't touched a cig since. In those few weeks I noticed a few positive effects from vaping (other than the risks associated with inhaling smoke). First, my mood has been rather mellower more often. As I cut down on my nic intake (6-12mg on average), I seem to not get irratable as often as when I was smoking. That craving for a cig when I couldn't have one was usually the cause. Now if I feel my mood degrading, I just take a pull or two of vape and I'm good to go.
Second, my wallet is relatively fatter. While the initial investment (ego starter kit for transport, and SB for home use) was high, it still was less than I spent on cigs in two months.
And third, my sense of smell has increased. This is both positive and negative, as I now smell bad odors more easily:blink:
Glad to have found this forum. I learned a wealth of info and you all have helped me make a wise decision to quit smoking.

subdude

Doing laundry is where I've noticed it. I live on the 2nd floor, and my laundry room is in a separate building. Towards the end of my smoking days, I would get winded carrying a laundry basket upstairs. At 36 that's not good. No winded feeling now, and I'm only 6 weeks in. As for fiscal? I'm still a tad in the hole, but slowly coming up. If you don't count juice purchases I'm already ahead, but I tend to keep those in the math, since they're still part of vaping.

subdude

Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
Pennsylvania
Doing laundry is where I've noticed it. I live on the 2nd floor, and my laundry room is in a separate building. Towards the end of my smoking days, I would get winded carrying a laundry basket upstairs. At 36 that's not good. No winded feeling now, and I'm only 6 weeks in. As for fiscal? I'm still a tad in the hole, but slowly coming up. If you don't count juice purchases I'm already ahead, but I tend to keep those in the math, since they're still part of vaping.

Another positive. My laundry room is three stories down and I definitely noticed I'm not winded as much. In fact, I'm thinking of buying a bike for exercise (something that I would not have done a few months ago).

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
Thanks. I was amazed at how easy it was for me to switch. Tried quittting many time over 30 years and never could do it. Who knows, someday I may cut out the nic completely (but I may still vape as I really enjoy it).

I made the switch easy as well. After getting my first kit and trying it out, I came home quickly before work, sat outside and had one more cigarette. Telling myself "I found something better, that tastes better, but still has that flavor." I only did a tobacco flavor for about 2 weeks before getting flavor hooked. :) I am looking forward to the wallet thing tho ... since if I've done my math right, I'll be able to afford a nice little vacation to Key West in late August, and that's good for the mental health. :) And since I am breathing easier, my plan of learning SCUBA diving should be easier on me.

klstreet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Interlochen, MI
The first disposable I bought got me hooked, I went home and bought a Volt, and haven't touched an analog since

I've noticed I taste and smell better, I just feel better over all, I breathe better and can actually breathe out my nose!!(While on analogs I was constantly congested, I still dont know why)

Cloud Wizard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2012
Somewhere in PA on my Ultra Limited
I was a 33 year 1.5PAD smoker, diagnosed with COPD. I was taking Advair daily and needed an asthma inhaler 2-3 times a day when it was bad. Since starting vaping, I'm off Advair and haven't used an inhaler even once. On top of that I can taste more, smell more, my car doesn't stink and my wife/kids are proud of me (which really feels good). I took the dog for a walk the other day and was at the normal cross road where I'd usually take a left straight home and instead took a right and happily and easily kept going for another mile (no wheezing at all, could've kept going but my big giant dopey dog called "BS" on the whole thing so we went home). All-in-all, happier and healthier...

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
I was a 33 year 1.5PAD smoker, diagnosed with COPD. I was taking Advair daily and needed an asthma inhaler 2-3 times a day when it was bad. Since starting vaping, I'm off Advair and haven't used an inhaler even once. On top of that I can taste more, smell more, my car doesn't stink and my wife/kids are proud of me (which really feels good). I took the dog for a walk the other day and was at the normal cross road where I'd usually take a left straight home and instead took a right and happily and easily kept going for another mile (no wheezing at all, could've kept going but my big giant dopey dog called "BS" on the whole thing so we went home). All-in-all, happier and healthier...

Sadly my car still has some odor. It's not as bad as the first couple of weeks after I switched. By about day 2, I got into my car on a warm afternoon, and gagged. That evening I bought some OdorBan from the grocery store and used almost 1/4th of the bottle spraying everywhere ... the headliner ... don't forget the headliner if you're using OdorBan or Freebreez or the like. Our smoke wafted upwards a lot so the smell would really get into there.

I need to get walking more, or probably invest in a bike. When I was younger I used to bike *everywhere*, heh, even while smoking. But at 16 and 17, I was invincible and had only been smoking for a couple years at that point. We have some amazing bike trails here in Central FL, so I really wanna get back into riding.

Jason McRoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2012
Tampa, FL

subdude

I know what you mean on the smells. I was out the other day and walked by a few ladies that were wearing perfume. Man, the smell was pretty overwhelming to me! It never bothered me before. They were like 20 feet away from me too! lol

Oh, by the way- welcome to ECF!

-Jason

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
I know what you mean on the smells. I was out the other day and walked by a few ladies that were wearing perfume. Man, the smell was pretty overwhelming to me! It never bothered me before. They were like 20 feet away from me too! lol

Oh, by the way- welcome to ECF!

-Jason

I use less of my own cologne now I've noticed. :) Thankfully I still like the smells of the stuff I own. Need to get over to the Givenchy store at Epcot and see if I still like one of the newer scents. And then treat myself to a bottle of it. :)

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
I've definitely been using less cologne and more deodorant! :D

Went camping last weekend, when i got home and showered, I came out of the bathroom and could smell the campfire smoke ridden clothes in my hamper 2 rooms away. It's kinda like we all have some kinda spidey sense now.........."I smell trouble!"

LOL. My nose hates me right now tho. I really don't know if I did this when I smoked cigarettes, but my exhale with vapor is out mouth and nose. I can really notice the separate air flows with vapor. Could be that cigarette smoke blended together so quickly, I dunno. But my nasal passages are quite dry ... but I bought a bottle of saline today. Gonna start using that and seeing how much of a difference I see. I already drink enough water that my co-workers are about to nickname me "fish." :)

BigC847

Jun 16, 2012
North Chicagoland
LOL. My nose hates me right now tho. I really don't know if I did this when I smoked cigarettes, but my exhale with vapor is out mouth and nose. I can really notice the separate air flows with vapor. Could be that cigarette smoke blended together so quickly, I dunno. But my nasal passages are quite dry ... but I bought a bottle of saline today. Gonna start using that and seeing how much of a difference I see. I already drink enough water that my co-workers are about to nickname me "fish." :)

I know what you mean, my nose was buggin the heck outta me till i switched to 50/50 juice, then after a month everything regulated itself out. Still though, I sometimes get sneezing fits after the first vape of the day.

Hydrating is def important, and that reminded me; after a few weeks off of cigs I bought a cheap bottle of water and drank it. I didn't think that water tasted as good as the desani i had been drinking outta the machine at work. Then I about crapped myself when i realized i could taste the difference between different waters!!!! :ohmy: Thank you e-cigs!

Last edited:

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
I know what you mean, my nose was buggin the heck outta me till i switched to 50/50 juice, then after a month everything regulated itself out. Still though, I sometimes get sneezing fits after the first vape of the day.

Hydrating is def important, and that reminded me; after a few weeks off of cigs I bought a cheap bottle of water and drank it. I didn't think that water tasted as good as the desani i had been drinking outta the machine at work. Then I about crapped myself when i realized i could taste the difference between different waters!!!! :ohmy: Thank you e-cigs!

I tend to stick to around 50/50. Tho I'll some times go higher in VG depending on my mood when I am ordering, and I've had a 100% (or as close as one gets with flavors) VG. I get sneezing fits as well, but also had them when I smoked. I have seasonal allergies, so I just deal with that. Heh, and I just opened the bottle of spray and gave myself a spritz or two. Must be more dry than I realized. Usually when I spray something in my nose, I end up with some trickling down my throat, or back out my nose. None of that tonight. Just have to remember to put the bottle in my bag when I goto work. And stop at Walgreens maybe after work tomorrow to see if they have a smaller sized bottle of similar. This big bottle is like 3oz. Kind of hard to keep that in my pocket.

Theken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
I am a nurse by profession and was a smoker by habit, I smoked 1-2 packs a day for over 20 years. My health was horrible, I was heavier (nearly 300 pounds), had trouble breathing (Oxygen Saturation of <90 all the time), and was on my way to heart disease, diabetes, and COPD. Doctor after doctor said the same thing "quit smoking" and I tried everything (and I mean EVERYTHING). Finally I saw a Nurse Practitioner that suggested e-cigarettes and recommended a local store which started my analog free life.

I am now about 9 months without an analog and will NEVER return. When smoking analogs I always had a nasty taste in my mouth and drank a lot of soda, that is also over. I lost nearly 80 pounds (given not directly due to no longer smoking), my oxygen saturation is 96% or better and now have a nearly clean bill of health.

While I know that nicotine is dangerous it is a hell of a lot better to only take in nicotine when compared to the hundreds of other disgusting chemicals that we take in with analog (not even talking about the 2nd hand smoke).

In short, I can safely say that everything is positive when vaping compared to smoking.

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
After about two weeks off of analogs I constantly thought that I was smelling smoke in my livingroom. I would look around and kind of worry that something was going on or think that I left a candle lit. It was just the smell of my unlit fireplace that I never noticed before. Amazing how the smell comes back. +1 on deodorant - everything and everyone had a new smell. Not always pleasant.:unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread