iTaste = iWasted My Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim66

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2012
Amherst, Ohio
I'm not real happy with this one folks. I'm new to the ecf, and I realize none of you know me so please let me give you a little info about me. I've been vaping since 8 Sep 2011. I made the jump from standard ecigs to the eGo after a couple months. Shortly after that I bought a Buzz Pro, and I never looked back. I'm a mod junkie (it's like a disease lol). My favorite APVs are the Provari mini and the Pure Smoker Legacy with a Kick. Also I love the functionality, price and size of the new Rev3 from 310vapers.

So I know I didn't need the iTaste, but I was intrigued by the new design. It was moderately priced too. Not as good as the eGo Twist or the Rev3, but certainly not as expensive as other vv devices. I had no desire to use the tank system, but I liked the idea of the 510 adapter for using cartos. I picked one up from Eric at Discountvapers. I got excellent service as well as fast shipping from them. One thing I really liked about Eric's site is I could buy the 510 adapter version of the iTaste. Since I didn't want to use the tank, this seemed like a perfect fit. Eric also included a 5 pack of Tidy Clearomizers.

I watched Scott's review, and I also saw the shootout live last night between Dimitris and Phil. I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I also really value all of their opinions. Regarding the quality and feel, I have to agree with Dimitris. I really thought it would have a "solid" feel to it. Unfortunately, it feels and sounds like hollow plastic. I also expected it to have a glossy lacquer finish. It is flat black which is ok; it's just not what I wanted. I noticed on Phil's review that the V2 batteries are different colors compared to the V1's. It's really not an issue. Personally, I would rather have a flat black battery that can actually go to 5 volts than a shiny battery that only goes up to 3.7 volts. Still, I didn't expect a flat black finish.

I don't mind the magnetic adapter design. I think it's innovative. Some may not like it, but it seems to perform ok. The button is responsive and easy to push so there are no issues there.

However, imo, it fails in the most important category of all. Vape quality. It has a very stiff draw. I think this is due to the way the air slots are cut into the adapter. I have to unscrew the carto to get a decent draw. Even at that point it just doesn't feel right. I kept switching the carto between the iTaste and the Provari and the Rev3. What a huge difference in draw feel and quality. In that particular carto, I was vaping epipemods long bottom leaf pipe sauce. The flavor was even a bit different in the iTaste. Again, I think the draw quality (or lack of air flow) is the root cause of this. The iTaste and the Provari were set on the exact same voltage setting of 4.3 volts. I verified the setting with a voltmeter too. The carto is a Boge 2.2 ohm. I tried changing the voltage of the iTaste, but it did not improve things. I'm not saying it was bad, just not as good as using the same carto on the Provari or the Rev3.

So in a nutshell, I'm not thrilled at all with the build quality or the draw/vape quality. And even though it is moderately priced, I can get a much better vaping experience for around $30 with the eGo Twist or the Rev3 (not including batteries of course). It does have some nice features, but it's just not for me. I thought about maybe modifying the air slots to see if I can improve things, but to be honest, I don't want to waste my time. I already wasted my money. After about 30 minutes of use, I put everything back in the box. I'm done with it.

Thanks for reading the review guys. I hope it helps some of you make an informed decision on this APV.

tpoulton

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
Rochester, NY
Can't agree with you on the draw or the feel/quality. I also bought my iTaste from Eric and my boge cartos never felt so nice. Nice warm clouds of good vapor. I got the white one and I sure get nothing but compliments on it. It's new and quite innovative and you need to give it a chance. a lot of people just don't take any time adjusting to the unknown, so to speak.

Hey, I respect your opinion and I'm just giving mine.

1kshooter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Jim66'
I thank you for your review and I will add that waht has worked great for me is not working great for friends ....we all have our own styles don't we!
I am sorry that the I taste did not work well for you...I bought one today and love it! see what I mean my friend ..as a matter of fact do you you still have it? would you like to sell it?
I am not sure this is the right place to conduct deals so please forgive me higher poweres of the board if I have wronged!?!
...if you would like to talk please feel free to pm me Jim!
thanks for your time! Jonathan

Jim66

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2012
Amherst, Ohio
I agree we all have different tastes. For the record, I don't hate it, I just wasn't crazy about it, and I felt I could get a more satisfying vape using a different PV. I decided to pull it back out of the box, and I modified the air slots. Then I gave the iTaste to my mom. She likes it so everything worked out.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Just in looking at all the GV hype surrounding it, I knew there would be a flood of negative reviews, I didn't expect them so fast though. I just expected that we'd see first some reviews from right out of the box users exclaming its the best thing to hit vaping in a long time.

Busuardo's review on the thing to me was and I'm not sure, but his opinion was very mediocre. Didn't love it but didn't hate it.

LeDean

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Tennessee
www.mountainoakvapors.com
The company that created the iTaste responded to Phil. I read it somewhere. They thanked him for his feedback and said that some of the issues that were pointed out during the show were being addressed. I think being able to take constructive feedback and improve on your product is pretty admirable.

asha23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
London
The company that created the iTaste responded to Phil. I read it somewhere. They thanked him for his feedback and said that some of the issues that were pointed out during the show were being addressed. I think being able to take constructive feedback and improve on your product is pretty admirable.

I honestly don't think this is good enough really. Making the consumer the guinea pig on a device. Surely they did their own testing on the product? Surely they are aware of it's shortcomings? I guess what happened is that yes, they were aware of it's shortcomings, but instead of holding back it's release to fix these, they just released it anyway. Mainly to make money.

If they aren't aware of it's issues, borne out from proper testing then what else are they not aware of? This scenario makes it a very risky device to buy, as it could have some very serious safety issues further down the line.

The issue with the V1 battery raised alarm bells with me. Why release a product that doesn't function correctly. Sure, all product lines have teething problems. But it seems to me that the iTaste has been rushed out to compete with the VMax, the Twist and the V2 Lavatube. Landfill in 10 years will be filled with what I have come to see as the Sinclair C5 of VV devices.

This leaves people with the earlier versions pretty much screwed. Not at all good business sense.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
I was tempted by it, but now I'll think twice. Plus it is very expensive for what it is and what it actually does. I really don't like the idea that you have to use an adapter with it for 510 vaping. This seems like a step backwards to me.

I think that a sealed battery with a magnetic electrical connection is a step forward. Since the 510 is a threaded (usually unsealed) connection, then I would expect to need an adapter to step backwards in technology to make it compatible. I thank Innokin for being far-sighted enough to develop the four adapters and have them available at the time of release. It makes the iTaste basically compatible with (almost) any popular device that people now own. They didn't stick with proprietary devices that force people to use what they develop. I appreciate that.

What I find confusing is the fact that nobody here has had problems with the Tidy clearo and other people have.

Mine has been sent by Pony Express from Texas and has been 1 week on the trail so far. Hopefully, if they ride hard, it will arrive soon so I can try it with regular size Fluxomizers that, I hope, will fit under the cap with a flat top drip tip.

Relax, Enjoy!

Last edited:

figment_oyi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
Tx
Where in TX did you order yours from if you don't mind me asking ? And ride pony ride...I hope he is running really fast.. I have had mine for a couple of weeks and am loving it !!
I think that a sealed battery with a magnetic electrical connection is a step forward. Since the 510 is a threaded (usually unsealed) connection, then I would expect to need an adapter to step backwards in technology to make it compatible. I thank Innokin for being far-sighted enough to develop the four adapters and have them available at the time of release. It makes the iTaste basically compatible with (almost) any popular device that people now own. They didn't stick with proprietary devices that force people to use what they develop. I appreciate that.

What I find confusing is the fact that nobody here has had problems with the Tidy clearo and other people have.

Mine has been sent by Pony Express from Texas and has been 1 week on the trail so far. Hopefully, if they ride hard, it will arrive soon so I can try it with regular size Fluxomizers that, I hope, will fit under the cap with a flat top drip tip.

Relax, Enjoy!

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
Where in TX did you order yours from if you don't mind me asking ? And ride pony ride...I hope he is running really fast.. I have had mine for a couple of weeks and am loving it !!

GotVapes no longer ships from New York. For some reason they now ship from Sugar Land, Texas, 77498. I used to receive on the 4th day, now it has been 8 days and counting.

The price of progress!

Jim66

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2012
Amherst, Ohio

Relax, Enjoy!

You are correct. I had no problems with my Tidy Clearomizers. I opened the trash can and threw them away.... no problem.

I tried one and I didn't care for the excessive dry hits. I tried tipping them and even slightly squeezing the body while I watched air bubbles rise. I also waited to allow proper wicking. I'll stick with Boge cartos and the D.I.D.

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
I honestly don't think this is good enough really. Making the consumer the guinea pig on a device. Surely they did their own testing on the product? Surely they are aware of it's shortcomings? I guess what happened is that yes, they were aware of it's shortcomings, but instead of holding back it's release to fix these, they just released it anyway. Mainly to make money.

If they aren't aware of it's issues, borne out from proper testing then what else are they not aware of? This scenario makes it a very risky device to buy, as it could have some very serious safety issues further down the line.

The issue with the V1 battery raised alarm bells with me. Why release a product that doesn't function correctly. Sure, all product lines have teething problems. But it seems to me that the iTaste has been rushed out to compete with the VMax, the Twist and the V2 Lavatube. Landfill in 10 years will be filled with what I have come to see as the Sinclair C5 of VV devices.

This leaves people with the earlier versions pretty much screwed. Not at all good business sense.

wooooa!

The V1 is not flawed,far from it...V2 gives you limitations which the V1 doesnt have...unless you like people telling you what to do (and electronic devices too!!)

Mine is still besides me all the time,being vaped occasionally (I got other APVs) and works like a champ.

The main thing here is we tend to COMPARE things to others that are not in the same league at all,be it price-wise,size-wise or capacity-wise.

Open your mind,try it,love it.

I love the shape,I love the size,I love the vape (taste,vapor production,everything)...for what it is!

northofamerica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
Saskatoon
wooooa!

The V1 is not flawed,far from it...V2 gives you limitations which the V1 doesnt have...unless you like people telling you what to do (and electronic devices too!!)

Mine is still besides me all the time,being vaped occasionally (I got other APVs) and works like a champ.

The main thing here is we tend to COMPARE things to others that are not in the same league at all,be it price-wise,size-wise or capacity-wise.

Open your mind,try it,love it.

I love the shape,I love the size,I love the vape (taste,vapor production,everything)...for what it is!

I agree.
I like mine so much I actually use the puff counter on it! Battery life is pretty good for a smaller pv, and it gives me the button led color as feedback as to when its gonna die out. It feels good in my hands and makes me happy with it's output. The magnetic connectors work fine and stay in very well. Well worth the money I spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread