What wire to buy to 2-3 Ohms spec for iatty2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doverkin

Mar 31, 2012
US
I am sure this questions must have been covered on ECF somewhere. However thousands of posts at hand and not finding right search results has proven difficult.
I would like to prepare ahead of time before my pre ordered iatty2 and Penelope arrives for who knows how long will provided wire be. I have already took a peep at WalMart, and Home Depot they don't even sell bare wires vapor needs. If anyone has iatty/2 please help suggest a place to buy, online is okay too?
As far as what material of wire to buy. I am not an electrician but I do know basic relation of current and resistance. Enough to say that silver, kanthal, nickel generally meant resistance. Correct me if Im wrong, but non resistance as I understand matters less in a rebuildable atomizer. However in experience in what gage/size or even wraps around the wick to provide 2-3Ohms range, I'll definitely need your advice. I would really appreciate any help you can give, even if it's just a link to the proper information on ECF.
Thanks

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Kanthal or nichrome for resistance wire. Silver is a "no resistance" wire. Typically 32 awg or 34 awg for LR and 'standard' resistances. 30 awg will work for LR.

Not sure if there are other differences between kanthal A-1, A and D; but what I've seen is that A-1 has a higher resistivity.

That eBay seller routinely restocks the kanthal, lately he's been selling out quickly, so check back if he's out of stock at the moment.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Doverkin

Mar 31, 2012
US
Thank you guys. Now days I feel like a noob on many things. You dig into one field little do you know there is always more to it then you expected. Been little busy looking around other places for answers. Wanted you all to know I do really value your effort to assist me. I wont truly quit/replace cigarettes until my either my Ody or Penelope comes in. More time is requested by COV.
Mean time I will dig further into youtube try different searching terms as well as modding section mentioned here.
I don't know how you designed it or get your avatar from but I think it's cool.
PS Note to self dont mess up the material for resistance and non resistance wire. (should I cut the green or the red wire) lol
Take care vapors and happy vaping:)

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Came across this while Im searching. Seem to be the mystery difference of A and D.(basically difference on level of resistance when tested at given temp.) Feel free to consider for yourself. Iron-chromium-aluminium (FeCrAl) wire

I worked with FeCrAl alloy in the form of foil for a project at work - everyone was calling it fec-er-ool :D

Doverkin

Mar 31, 2012
US
Thanks TomCatt. What a coincidence I never thought someone here actually work for them:) Well the company does have good information. As for as sell I doubt they want to sell small amounts unless TomCatt says so:)
And as far as find the wire locally in CA, US I would have to call forget it. Ebay as I am suggested is the only way for resistance wire. While RC is the essential wire it must be backed with resistance wire (R) which I have found non on ebay thus far. For your interest I have check (WalMark, RadioShack, HomeDepot)
In your interest of silver wire however you may take your interest to check these below:
NOTE please keep in mind I have not personally checked or ordered these companies myself. While they appear legit BBB/who is check up should come in first. Remember it's your money you are throwing at them and you do want your product.
Sterling Silver-Filled™ Wire - Dead Soft - Jewelry Wrapping - Fire Mountain Gems and Beads
Fine Silver Wire .999 by Cool Tools

What gage to use, how many wraps etc I just have no clue until I figured it out myself. Some of the people here seem to know a lot though. I seem to have nothing more the difficulty thus far since Ody. Don't read me wrong I love my Ody it's quality product however still finding out why the bugger will not work ProVari or more so how to fix it. This is entirely different from wires so Im gonna leave this part out of here.
Thanks for tunning in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread