DIY ejuice Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd0636

Jul 3, 2012
Reading, pa
I have been vaping now for about six months and decided to get into DIY ejuice. I ordered all of my supplies and received them in the mail. They include my base fluid of 50/50, bottle of pg bottle of vg. Starting nic concentration is 36mg. As far as flavors I ordered a bunch from vapezone and lorann. All of which are super concentrated. I generally vapezone with an ego vv battery with a 3.5 ml duel coil tank. I figured I would mix a few with my calculator and use the atty and tank from the ego c to do my tasting. Is this the best for testing flavors, or should I direct drip? If I direct drip can you please lead me in the right direction as far as equipment?

So I mixed a few flavors from both companies. Looked at the percentage charts and thought I was doing everything correctly. Loaded one up in the 1ml tank with ego atty and gave it a shot. Initial flavor was good but as soon as the atty heated up it gave you that horrible burnt taste from the wick. Not the throat hit , the burnt taste.......huge difference. Oh btw I mixed it down to 18mg per calculations. So taste was good with a cool atty but second draw was bad. Was the fluid to thick? I don't understand. Any help into this matter would be great!!

jd0636

Jul 3, 2012
Reading, pa
My base fluid was 50pg/50vg 36mg. I was trying to make a small batch approximately 2ml and cutting it down to 18mg. I used lorann watermelon. Looked on a bunch of charts and they told me to use 20percent for flavor. Ejuice calculator told me to add the following.
1ml base fluid 50/50 36 mg
.1 pg
.5 vg
.4 flavor
Now I do notice sometimes with the ego tornado tanks(the ones that hold 1.2ml) they do sometimes have problems letting enough juice on to the atty if used a lot. This was a brand new one. Juice looked really thick to my untrained eye though. This is going to be harder than I thought. Does this help?

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
.... I figured I would mix a few with my calculator and use the atty and tank from the ego c to do my tasting. Is this the best for testing flavors, or should I direct drip? If I direct drip can you please lead me in the right direction as far as equipment?
You should direct drip with a proper atomizer. Your ejuice is not too thick. You don't need the complications of a dodgy tank system or finicky eGo atomizer. The fact your getting a burned taste has nothing to do with the juice.
Any standard 510 atty can be used for dripping. But it costs only a buck or two more to get a proper dripping atomizer. Try Ikenvape.com. The i06 and V2 Cannon atomizers are excellent for dripping and cost little more than a garden variety 510 atomizer. They both need their own drip tips though, so get one of those to match.

So I mixed a few flavors from both companies. Looked at the percentage charts and thought I was doing everything correctly. Loaded one up in the 1ml tank with ego atty and gave it a shot. Initial flavor was good but as soon as the atty heated up it gave you that horrible burnt taste from the wick. Not the throat hit , the burnt taste.......huge difference. Oh btw I mixed it down to 18mg per calculations. So taste was good with a cool atty but second draw was bad. Was the fluid to thick? I don't understand. Any help into this matter would be great!!

See above. 20% may be a tad too high. You may want to start at 15%, remembering that the flavor will intensify with some time. I DIY with 70%VG, so your juice is definitely not too thick.

My base fluid was 50pg/50vg 36mg. I was trying to make a small batch approximately 2ml and cutting it down to 18mg. I used lorann watermelon. Looked on a bunch of charts and they told me to use 20percent for flavor. Ejuice calculator told me to add the following.
1ml base fluid 50/50 36 mg
.1 pg
.5 vg
.4 flavor
Now I do notice sometimes with the ego tornado tanks(the ones that hold 1.2ml) they do sometimes have problems letting enough juice on to the atty if used a lot. This was a brand new one. Juice looked really thick to my untrained eye though. This is going to be harder than I thought. Does this help?

The above looks o.k. It might be a little thick for what you're using as a tank. Even at that, you're still not nearly 80%VG, which is about the point when juice starts getting thick enough to cause an issue with any decent juice delivery system. You just need to isolate the atty problem from the juice issues. A good 510 atty, any 510 atty, will be more consistent and give you a better idea of what's going on. It's better to get the juice right and find a delivery system that works well with it than to try to make your juice fit what is not all that great of a juice delivery system in the first place. Get your juice tasting right with a good atty. Then, if it doesn't work well with your tank system, change your tank system to something that works better.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I don't think it should/would make it taste burnt, but 20% is a pretty high percentage of flavoring. Some of the flavorings (especially the vaping zone super concentrated flavors) need to be mixed at only about 2-3%, and I usually mix Lorann flavorings at about 10-15% max. You might try a little less flavoring and a little more VG or PG. Just a suggestion. And I agree with omarr that the tank systems (eGo-C) do have wicking problems sometimes. If you just have a plain atty (not a tank) you might use it for testing. Just drip a couple of drops onto the bridge of the atty and vape 4-5 puffs. Good luck. DIYing is totally worth it, but there is a learning curve. You'll get it; stay with it.

jd0636

Jul 3, 2012
Reading, pa
Thanks for the advise everyone......i ordered two v2 cannon 510 and two io6 atty. still using the ego vv battery but I can see myself ending up with a higher end vv soon. Vaping is starting to become more like a hobby lol. I mixed a few fluids at a lower percentage and will let them steep I guess that's what it's called. I can see now the benefit of direct drip. Looks like you can switch flavors much easier. I see people cleaning them with water alcohol and even dry burn. I'll keep posting about the fluids. Nice to have a site like this that offers so much help. I notice that vapers tend to stick together......I like that.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
I use Lorann Watermelon at 15% for flavoring. Flavoring is not linear. Twice as much does not taste twice as good.

To begin with a new flavor, I mix 4ml at 20% flavor

and then dilute with unflavored that is the same ratio (70/30 PG/VG, 50/50 PG/VG) and strength as the juice I mixed.

1.5ml to 15%, (1.1ml of 20% + 0.4ml unflavored)

2ml to 10%, (1ml of 20% +1ml unflavored)

1.5ml to 5% (0.4ml of 20% + 1.1ml of unflavored)

1.5ml remains of the 20%.

I find it better than starting at 5% and adding and adding and then forgetting which one was best. Keep good notes so you can repeat your success!

DO NOT USE DROPS TO MEASURE. THEY ARE NOT ACCURATE. USE A SYRINGE FOR BEST (and repeatable) RESULTS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread