Not open for further replies.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Good Morning,

It looks like there was still penelope stock on Clouds of Vapor last night so I snagged one. Now barring that the site is actually reflecting the quantity they have correctly then I should have one in my possession soon enough. From the other threads here it appears that if it's not in "Notify Me" status then there is enough to ship in the current batch. I hope that's accurate. Really want an Ody too but that's in "Notify Me" so I'll have to wait for that one.

So now for the questions to the people that have built Ody or Penelope coils. I've done a lot of reading in the last 2 hrs and I'm a bit confused on a few things so I thought I'd come to the source. This is all assuming I want to build a 3ohm resistance coil. I undersand this might be a little more complicated because the length at different thicknesses changes the ohm rating but any general advice would be appreciated.

So...with targeting a 3ohm resistance:

1)What length of resistance wire is typically used to build a coil? (Things I've seen on various forums say something like 1.5 to 2 inches or roughly 40mm to 50mm)

2)What thickness of wire would I use? This is the most confusing. So i've found some information that basically says a 1.6 inch(40mm) length of 34.5AWG(.15mm diameter) resistance wire is 3.1ohms. That sound fine. But in the threads on here I've been reading people are using anywhere from 30 to 36 AWG and in fact the stuff clouds of vapor sells is 36AWG for the iAtty,but not currently in stock. So at 36AWG(.127mm in diameter) you would use a shorter piece of wire to make a 3ohm coil.

A bit confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
That's fantastic, thank you.

I've looked at some more charts and it appears that with .13mm wire I will need to make a coil from about a 1.25 inch(32mm) piece based on the resistance per foot of that wire to come to 3ohms.

I love fiddling with stuff like this so I'm really looking forward to getting this item and making my own coils.

Now HOPEFULLY Clouds of Vapor will get Ody stock again at some point so I can buy one of those as well. I'm on the notify list so please send stock :)

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Yea I realize they just sold out. But I only started vaping like two weeks ago so I can't change the timing.

To compensate I ordered a second Penelope. Seems they vape about the same. Might as well have one for each Provari.

I'm not sure if buying the Penelope's will land me on some sort of list for the Proteus but I hope so. Kind of confused about that actually. I've been reading in a few places that buying a penelope will get you a shot at a proteus but I really don't know how that works. Just haven't been in the know long enough I guess.

Ty89m

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2012
Bozeman, MT
People who pre-ordered Proteus and Penelope basically get first crack at the Proteus when it arrives (I believe they have a reserved serial number on Proteus). The list to reserve said serial number for Proteus is now closed. So basically, even though we've ordered Penelope, we are not guaranteed a Proteus.

I've spoken with Bruce at COV, and he said he'll have plenty of units left for people who didn't reserve a Proteus. It shouldn't be an issue grabbing one, assuming your some what fast about ordering when they become available. At least that's how I understood it! So even though we missed the Proteus pre-order, we'll still have a chance at picking one up :)

Last edited:

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
The serial number reservations for Proteus (something totally unheard of to happen, probably won't happen again) were done when Proteus and Penelope were originally planned to be sold together. So those who got in on that reservation were guaranteed a Penelope, but buying a Pene won't guarantee you can get a Proteus. I think the bulk of the real GG fanboys got on the reservation list, though, so the competition for the remaining Proteus' shouldn't be quite as fierce as normal. IIRC, Imeo posted that the first run will be 1500 (with 1200 of those reserved) and then the second batch will follow shortly after. At least I think I read something to that effect

Mosin_Sergei

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2012
Nizniy Novgorod Russia
www.mebelalkova.ru
This is true
There are 1200 people on the list and I will make 1500 Proteus super. Then I will make more in a second batch
IIRC, Imeo posted that the first run will be 1500 (with 1200 of those reserved) and then the second batch will follow shortly after. At least I think I read something to that effect

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Thanks for the information.

Good to know that it might be possible to still snag a Proteus. I'll try to be fast.

I like buying this stuff. Good amount of satisfaction and my wife is basically happy I'm not smoking so she's all for me buying whatever I want.

Every time I bring a new car home the poop hits the fan. This is a MUCH safer hobby for me =X

supervape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
Lansing,Michigan
riot here is NR wire from mickkeals and you can get Nichrome or Kanthal from Ebay.. although I have TONS pm me if interested!

Attachments

• WP_001146.jpg
    WP_001146.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 36
  • WP_001145.jpg
    WP_001145.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 24

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
This is me shooting off the cuff but this is what I *think* although someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the amount of smoke has more to do with the resistance then the number of coils. Lower resistance = more smoke.

The longer the wire the more resistance it has. With the stock penelope wires that were included the atomizer I made had a lot of coils and pretty low resistance 1.7/1.8. It smokes like crazy.

How many coils you have will be directly related to the resistance of your wire and the length you choose to use to get that resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread