I cough everytime I vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cimyss

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2009
MN
Hi ALsmom! What strength nic/flavors is in your carts ? Different flavors/ nic strengths have different amounts of throat hit and vapor.
ALso are you using a manual, or auto or a passthrough manual or auto?
And how would you describe your inhail? do you hold it for a second or 2 in your mouth before inhailing and is it slow and long inhail?

alsmom

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Crypton, Colorado
Hi ALsmom! What strength nic/flavors is in your carts ? Different flavors/ nic strengths have different amounts of throat hit and vapor.
ALso are you using a manual, or auto or a passthrough manual or auto?
And how would you describe your inhail? do you hold it for a second or 2 in your mouth before inhailing and is it slow and long inhail?

I am using 18, 24 & 36, maybe too strong? and I try and hold it in my mouth but it still makes me cough! I think I overestimated how much nicotine I needed. I did smoke 2 packs a day, but many of those just sat in the ashtray! I lost my bottle of juice, I think it was a lower strength. I will find it and try it, and also order some low nic ones

alsmom

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Crypton, Colorado
thank you ALL for the tips, I am using a manual for the most part, and I do have a USB passthru which is much more mild on my laptop, much stronger on my son's laptop, but all of them make me cough. I am hangin in there and smoke many less analogs. Will star to play with different carts, strengths, etc i want this to work. I am just jealous of those that can vape all day, maybe I should not be, LOL

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
There is also a possibility that you have an intolerance for PG, which is what I believe comes in all of the VK/KR808D-1 etc. cartomizers.

VG liquid would be an alternative... but that would mean rinsing the PG out of your carto and refilling with a VG based liquid.

I personally have a very mild intolerance for PG... and use VG liquid almost exclusively (there are exceptions!)

Cimyss

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2009
MN
To be compleately honest I am not entriely off myself I smoked 2 packs a day for 24 years. I'm down to half a pack a day but I am only vaping 0 mg 6 mg and 8 mgs ( the higher ones was too much for me I had a nic reaction ) Since your already doing the high ones you definately don't have to worry about it :p But I woudl def try lower ones it might help you not cough. Also take a shorter vape and hold it in your mouth for a second or 2 before inhailing it! Hope this helps!

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
thank you ALL for the tips, I am using a manual for the most part, and I do have a USB passthru which is much more mild on my laptop, much stronger on my son's laptop, but all of them make me cough. I am hangin in there and smoke many less analogs. Will star to play with different carts, strengths, etc i want this to work. I am just jealous of those that can vape all day, maybe I should not be, LOL

Keep hanging in there, there really is a learning curve and everyone is different. Just take slow easy draws and experiment with your inhales. Definitely stick to the 18s (as the lowest you have right now) and get some lower nics. Once you are used to vaping, you may find there are times you will want the higher nics. Try drinking lots of water, your throat may be irritated and you may find that tomorrow you can start again, but stick to the lowest you have and try to hold it in your mouth a bit before inhaling.

I was one of the lucky ones who took right to vaping, but others have a harder time adjusting to the PG and draw. I bet within the week you will be vaping like a pro! ;) And welcome!

plantlvr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2009
Northern California
Don't give up! Listen to all the great advice here and you'll be OK, 24 years of smoking can't be changed overnite. I smoked for 38 years and most of those used ultralights,like that was somehow better! :confused:
I love 18 mg nic level but thinking about getting some lower nic cus vaping is so much fun!
You keep on experimenting and it will click for ya!

Allestaria

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
I have been having the same problem.
But I am noticing over time its getting better. 11mg will set me off if I'm not careful on the draw. 8mg I get a little bit of hit in my throat but its not as bad as the 11mg.

I've done the pg/vg thing. And it didn't seem to make a difference. Though I have not tried just straight vg.

I'm a 2 pack + aday smoker of lights. I'm still popin a few. Not as many. I think the 8mg is perfect for my throat just not quite as much nic as I need. But I can't handle anymore of a throat hit. So I'll have to make due for now.

I do need more vapor and a much easier throat hit. I know a lot want a strong hit. But I guess my throat is much more sensitive and can't handle the harshness of the "hit" to me. It feels like someone crawled down my throat with needles. I'll cough for a good 5 minutes if I'm not careful.
I also understand it is a learning curve. And will take time to adjust. And I'm willing to give it the time. I'm going to really work on it tomorrow when hubby is at work. That way I don't get to many wise cracks as I try to find the just right draw =)

AnglVapin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2009
Cajunland - Louisiana
You didn't state if you were vaping menthol or not, but I do know for a fact that menthol gives me a vaping cough.

I love menthol, but when I vaped it, it apparently irritated something... because anything I vapes afterwards... I was still coughing. It took like three weeks to get past the menthol cough.

Hang in there!

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I cough if I inhale too deeply on the first draw. The smoke in an analog is different from the vapor of a e-cig. Try this..draw in and blow out the nose a couple of times before you inhale into your lungs. It seems to get you ready. it's hard to get used to vapor when you are switching back and forth betwen analogs and a P.V. They are such different types of draws!
Good luck, and keep us updated!:)

Last edited:

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
How are you "tasting" the flavor then? Flavors of liquids and cartos are mostly smelled rather then tasted. Blowing smoke out of your nose hurts because it's HOT and dry..lol also there are a gazillion chemicals in the smoke.
Vapor is mosit and warm..less chems and lots of scent! Of course P.G. is a drying agent so your nose and throat get dry..but upping your intake of water cures that problem.
All blowing out of the nose at first does is let your body get ready for the vapor. You can gage how much vapor you are getting also. After a while you won't need to primer puff anymore.
i truly think coughing when vaping is because it's something we aren't used to. It's like drinking a mouthful of tea when you were expecting cola. A bit of a shock to the system!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread