Not open for further replies.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
Short answer: neither one

There have been so many Darwin vs Provari threads that I'm not going to get too long-winded, here. In the end, it all comes down to personal preferences in terms of which mod is best for you. They both have their upsides and downsides, and even those are debatable based on personal preferences. The one thing I can state as fact after owning both mods is that both devices are excellent and both Evolv and Provape have great customer service :)

Probably doesn't help you much, only advice I can offer without giving my personal bias is to weigh the options of each device against what you're looking for in a PV. And if the one you get turns out to be not the one you wanted, either one will move quickly on the classifieds

NCVapingLady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2009
Statesville, NC
I totally agree with what KillJoy1 said. I own a Darwin and my hubby owns a Provari. He's tried to sell me on the Provari features and vice-versa. It does come down to personal preferences. My hubby doesn't mind changing his batteries out once or twice a day, but I love not having to worry about it, other than my heavy vape days, but I just plug the Darwin into my laptop and use it while it charges. He also likes the tubular shape whereas I like the way the Darwin fits my hands and doesn't roll off the table. I can go on and on with the differences, but invariably I will start to lean more towards the Darwin as I am biased ;).

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
As has been stated, there have been many many threads making this comparison. "better" or "best" is completely subjective. Anyone who says this one or that one is "better" or "best" is merely telling their personal preference. Which is better - 901, 801, 510, attys, cartos, tanks, rebuildables, this juice, that juice, etc., etc., etc.??

They are both Advanced Personal Vaporizers. Both are well made and both companies have great customer service. Other than that, they are completely different and YOU have to see which YOU like better.

Your best bet is to spend some time reading the two primary threads on each and if you can - go to a vape meet and try them both (more than likely both will be at most any vapemeet with a decent turnout.).

To get you started, here are the two threads:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nhaler/151096-darwin-evolv.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/131028-provari-variable-voltage-mod.html

Last edited:

speedemon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Chicagoland
My vote is on the provari.Reasons for me are it is built like a tank,service is top notch.I like the round shape over the rectangular.The v2 witch all are now goes from 2.9-6volt,shows loaded voltage.One other top reason for me is easy change of a fresh battery i don't want to vape with a cord on it nor am i by a electrical outlet at all times.

babemomlover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
Darwin is cool pretty much just cause of the variable wattage feature.

I picked a provari for a few reasons.
Battery life is longer (2000 w/ ext. cap compared to 1800)
I personally thinks it looks better, the swivel on the darwin freaks me out
Battery situation is better in general, you can switch em out, so you can literally swap batteries out and vape longer between recharges.

And that's about it. Batteries pointed me in the provari direction and the looks sold it

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
As I said, these are all personal opinions with absolutely zero basis on anything other than personal preferences. Form factor, batteries, etc. Battery ratings can be manipulated, this is simple fact. Lithium Poly cells tend to be more true to mah ratings than prism cells (tubular shaped batts) - this is another simple fact.

The simple facts about the device differences are just that = simple facts:
Both boost which is good for safety. Both have low batt cut-offs and short circuit protection. From here, the difference begin.

Provari:
- Tubular shape - some like this form factor - personally, I am not one of them but many many do prefer tube devices.
- Replaceable batteries - I consider this a plus and minus. Since I've been using Darwins for well over a year and a half, I do not miss the chargers, carrying extra batteries, etc. Clearly, some people prefer the chargers and carrying spare batteries simply because they can swap out for a fresh battery
- Digital Variable voltage is about as stable as VV gets (will not self adjust to various resistances and/or changes in the resistance of a coil but it does hold a set voltage) if you want that.
- menu structure as a single button menu can be a lot of button pressing. Once you have your setting its no big deal but if you want to access any features its gonna mean a lot of button clicks: 5 clicks to voltage up and then one click per .1 volt increment or hold and scroll. 7 clicks to volts down and same one click per or hold and scroll. its been a while since I had my provari (had very first pre-sale ProV) so I don't remember the 9 and 11 clicks on the menu - one of them is for check batt life and the other for power on/off. 13 clicks to see your ohms.

Darwin:
- Obviously a different form factor. Personally, I prefer this form factor. it is much more pocket friendly at only 1/2" thick. Easy to lay down and will never roll away. Can lay down and still have the atty or tank facing up (swivel arm).
- Batteries are not user replaceable but they do not need to be. I just plug in the mini usb cable for charge at night and it is ready to go in the morn. Darwin has smart charge circuitry so no need to ever worry about over charging. Depending on how you vape will determine how much batt life you get per charge. LR always drains batts faster (regardless of device). I use 2.8Ω and vape around 8.5 watts. I tend to vape about 5 mls per day and a Darwin charge usually lasts me 18 hours. Sometimes more or less depending on how much vaping that day. But, one look at my sig line will show that I never have issues with batt life :p
- Variable Watts = Power Regulation. Set it and forget it. If you like 8.5 watts you get it even if you change the atty/carto from 3Ω to 2Ω to 4Ω... Darwin reads the resistance and automatically adjusts volts and amps many many times each second to maintain the watts (expressed in vaping as heat).
- menu is non existent. All the information is on the screen all the time. you want to know your atty/carto Ωs just press the button and its on the screen. You want to know what volts and amps Darwin is pushing for your atty/carto and watts setting - just push the button and its on the screen. BAtt gauge is not to scale but accurate enough once you get familiar with it. You want your vape warmer or cooler just turn the thumbwheel to change the setting and vape.

Some people like the swivel atty for a master on/off and others do not. Some say Darwin is less tank friendly and I'd disagree. I have many Darwins and use tanks on them all the time. I have 4 Darwins sitting next to me right now each with a tank on it. Leaving the arm open does leave the device officially "on" but there is no discernible drain to the power level by leaving it open. Could leave it open and would probably take a month to drain from the lcd screen being active.
Darwin can be used as a passthru as where ProVari cannot (but you can swap the battery in the ProVari - if you are carrying a charged battery with you).

That is about as simple and direct a comparison as you are going to see - a simple list of features. Both are good devices and they are very different. Each and every thread comparing these two devices has turned into a fanboi/fangoil competition which is absolutely useless to anyone considering these two devices. The features are what they are. What difference does it matter who likes what? If you like coffee vape juice and I like strawberry/banana juice - who is "right"? If one person likes 510 attys and another likes 801 attys - who is "right"? If one person likes Boge 510 cartos and another likes Kanger 510 cartos - who is "right"? There is no such thing as "better" or "best" - there is only YOUR "better" and "best" and until you actually try each of these two devices, you will not know which YOU prefer. This is why I suggested you read the threads and see what the people using them are saying, compare the features, form factors, etc. and then go to vape meets and use them. A few minutes of using each will really not be enough. You really have to use each for several days before you can truly know which you will like better.

Many have posted they did not like the form factor of Darwin until they had one to use for a few days and found they liked it. many thought all the button clicks of ProVari would become a PITA until they had one and used it to see if it was fun or a rarity to make changes or if they like it.

There have been many comparison threads and they all died because they ALL became fan pissing contests. Many prefer ProVari and Many prefer Darwins. There is no "right" or "wrong" and there is no "better" or "best" there is only personal preferences. The ONLY way to truly know is to compare the features and then actually try both. Brief use at a vape meet is about the best you can hope for unless you know people with these devices who may let you use each for a few days.

There is no shortage of opinions but they are just that - opinions. Now you have mine to add to the list. Personally, I do not care which people use as long as they are getting off the analogs. But, as my sig line certainly makes abundantly obvious, clearly I prefer Power Regulation as IMHO it provides the most consistent vape experience currently obtainable given any of the vaping gear currently on the market.

Final EDIT: The warranties are different too.
- ProVari (I think) comes with a one year and you have to pay for a second year. the warranty is void if you sell it or buy one used. There is no warranty on the batteries.

- Darwin comes with a two year warranty (no extra charge) and a full year on the battery. After that year, Evolv will replace the battery for $25 and the new batt comes with a new full one year waranty. Warranty on Darwin IS transferrable. However, if buying used just make sure the seller can verify back to the original purchaser.

Last edited:

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN
As someone who has owned both devices, and the Darwin won, I can say its hard to find a flaw with either.

I will say that you can tell by how confident that the average Darwin owner is, exactly how good the Darwin is, by their answers to your question, in the Darwin forum, and the static answer is that both are great, its essentially up to what works for you.

Now notice the reaction of the average Provari owner on this board, anywhere, anytime, if someone mentions the Provari, you can rest assured that they will arrive in force to let you know why the Provari is the greatest thing ever. Just interesting to note the confidence of Darwinia, over and against the insecurity of the Order of the provari.

All that said, they shouldn't feel insecure, the Provari is a great device, but cannot be compared to the Darwin, or the Opus for that matter.

One great thing about the Provari, you can order one right now.

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
As someone who has owned both devices, and the Darwin won, I can say its hard to find a flaw with either.

I will say that you can tell by how confident that the average Darwin owner is, exactly how good the Darwin is, by their answers to your question, in the Darwin forum, and the static answer is that both are great, its essentially up to what works for you.

Now notice the reaction of the average Provari owner on this board, anywhere, anytime, if someone mentions the Provari, you can rest assured that they will arrive in force to let you know why the Provari is the greatest thing ever. Just interesting to note the confidence of Darwinia, over and against the insecurity of the Order of the provari.

All that said, they shouldn't feel insecure, the Provari is a great device, but cannot be compared to the Darwin, or the Opus for that matter.

One great thing about the Provari, you can order one right now.

that's a great point, jkmtwo. i own multiples of both devices so i am not especially biased either way, but something about being able to order any finish of a provari with any LED choice that i prefer at any time makes me feel more confident about using the device. that is, if i lose it or it breaks i can always order another provari. for that reason, my darwins tend to stay at home while my provaris get taken out and about.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
unfortunately, with such limited availability, my darwins stay under house-arrest, haha.

Good point! Darwins are my daily carry, I keep a lanyarded Boge Revolution for use at home while mowing and other PV-unfriendly activities. I put a little label on each Darwin with my phone number and email. If it were lost, and it were found, it would be of no use to Joe Average at all. A label gives me a chance to get it back if lost.

Hottody

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Temcula CA
Yes...for all these reasons I vote Provari!

QUOTE=babemomlover;6594083]Darwin is cool pretty much just cause of the variable wattage feature.

Battery situation is better in general, you can switch em out, so you can literally swap batteries out and vape longer between recharges.

And that's about it. Batteries pointed me in the provari direction and the looks sold it[/QUOTE]

aidreon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2012
France
I own a Mini Provari, but only because I like the shape better. The Provari works like a charm since day one, never been disappointed by it. Still, people seem to defend the Darwin as much as Provari owners defend their device, there must be a reason for that.
I really think they're equal on the VV side, choose whatever you like best, whatever you choose, you won't regret it ;)

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
{snip}
I really think they're equal on the VV side, choose whatever you like best, whatever you choose, you won't regret it ;){/snop}

I believe they are not equal on the VV side. Variable voltage does not equal regulated wattage. Yes, they are each the best of the best? Pick your favorite form factor, your favorite charging routine, and run with it!

Last edited:

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN
This is an ignorant comment by someone who has never owned a Darwin, I get 18+ hours out of my Darwin, and that leaves me with about 40% battery life remaing, with my Provari and a 2250 Panasonic IMR I on average got about 12 to 15 hours of battery life.

Yes...for all these reasons I vote Provari!

QUOTE=babemomlover;6594083]Darwin is cool pretty much just cause of the variable wattage feature.

And that's about it. Batteries pointed me in the provari direction and the looks sold it
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread